Anyone Hunt on Lake Okeechobee?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Anyone Hunt on Lake Okeechobee?

Postby MNduckhunter » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:26 pm

Duck hunting this year (2004 - 2005) is expected to be excellent. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service estimate that there was more than 50 million breeding pairs of ducks this year! The Federal Wildlife agency predicts a fall migration of "MILLIONS" of waterfowl. Best news this year is that the blue-winged teal numbers are up 30%. Good News for Florida Duck Hunters.

Who Hunts on Lake Okeechobee? Tell us about last season- numbers down, how was the shooting, too many people hunting there, etc.

Good to hear the duck pop is still growing.
MNduckhunter
Keep the sportsmanship on the top of your list along with taking kids out and teaching them the love of the sport. Whether it be hunting or fishing, teach them the right and smart way to be a Sportsman.
MNduckhunter
hunter

Postby MNduckhunter » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:29 pm

Here is a web site to a guide service on Lake Okeechobee.

http://www.duck-hunting-florida-lake-ok ... rvice.com/

Hope it is helpful
MNduckhunter
Keep the sportsmanship on the top of your list along with taking kids out and teaching them the love of the sport. Whether it be hunting or fishing, teach them the right and smart way to be a Sportsman.
MNduckhunter
hunter

Teal season

Postby Dead Ringer » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:41 pm

Heading down to the Big O and breaking the cardinal rule; I haven't scouted. We're gonna use Saturday morning to find the birds and then stay through monday hoping to pick up some teal. Even if we have no luck, season is two months away, its good to just get out there now.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Dead Ringer
hunter

No dice

Postby Dead Ringer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:18 pm

Learned two things this teal season: 1) it's too hot 2) it's time to ditch the outboard and get a mud motor.

We only had one flock fly past, and by that time we weren't paying attention. The most reassuring thing was that we saw more ringers this year than I have seen in any other teal season. Quite a few singles and flocks buzzing around the shallows of Lake O. Going to test out a 23 hyperdrive this weekend, hopefully that'll get us back into were the birds are in november.
Dead Ringer
hunter

Okeechobee

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:20 am

I am from Okeechobee and I love hearing about it. There is a guy there named Jack Hill he is a dog trainer and with the GFC he could give you needed info. Type his name online it will come up.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:16 pm

My sob story is under the topic "New Season is coming... birds in Central FL?"

After that happened, we scouted with the outboard, and with limited access, saw several hundred ringers, a few teal, and flocks of mallards. Lots of debris in the canals, and the barges are busy clearing out the hurricane debris in South Bay and Clewiston. Watched a group with a mud motor get only 100ft in about 20 minutes through the floating island that has formed a dead end on the Moore Haven canal.
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:07 pm

Finally got the Mud Buddy in the water and man am I impressed. We ran about 18-20mph with three guys, 90 dekes, guns, and all of the other crap we drag along. With nothing in the boat but two guys, we ran 22-24mph. What really got me was when we took it off the trail and were able to maintain 16-19 mph through lilly pads, hydrilla, stick grass, and even sparse bullrush. The only limitations we encountered were dense bullrush and the islands blocking up the Moore Haven canal. Even then, it wasn't a matter of the motor not pushing water but rather that the boat was high and dry. After getting 200yds deep in the bullrush, we turned it around, hopped on a plane, and shot right back out.
The hurricanes have dumped so much water that the Big O is flooded all over. There were some birds, but they were spread out. Since we missed out on scouting, the first few hunts were very slow. Finally tracked them down by Monday morning, just in time to head home and slide into class. Have heard many good reports from the Everglades, and look forward to finally being able to hunt that area properly with the new motor. Will make the decision between spending the weekend at the lake or in the glades after friday morning's hunt in the glades. Hope everyone else is dropping them fast up here.
Dead Ringer
hunter

Okeechobee

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 am

I am from Chobee, and will be going home for a couple days over Christmas. I hope to do some hunting. I am not asking anyone to divulge their honey hole, however if you could give me some suggestions of where to go I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Straygator » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:12 pm

About the guide service you posted, I would not recommend him, tried him 2 years ago and lets just say I would never ever go with him again. If you want specifics just pm me.
Straygator
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:45 pm

Man what an down-then-up weekend I just had. Left fot the lake at 10pm Friday after taking care of term papers and finally got there at 12:30am. Tried sleeping in the truck, but the helicopters were buzzing in my ears. Ended up in a sleeping bag in the bed of the truck until 4:30 when the blowboat alarm clock went off. Opening day was a dud, saw thousands of birds, hundreds of yards high. Returned to the spot from three weeks ago this morning and donned the waders. Flock after flock of kamikaze dive bombing ringers attacked the dekes. Would've limited out if I could remember how to hit them. A repeat of that again this afternoon. Ended up with 25 birds between five hunters. Forgot how thrilling wader hunting can be and how exciting it is to watch those ringers drop straight down from a few hundred yards. My dad and best friend are hunting again in the morning before heading home. Headed down to the Glades for a tuesday and wednesday hunt after my last fianl exam monday (what a relief!). Hope everyone else had some whistling wings this weekend too!
Dead Ringer
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting