gander mountain update!!

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

gander mountain update!!

Postby caleb » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:55 pm

Was in gander mountain lake mary tonight. They are starting to stock up for duck season. They have the grass mats finnaly(8 less now) at 12.99 each 4'X4'. More deckoy selection than last year. But still no good selection for steel shot. I cant find any #4's in the city anywhere. And there prices shure havent changed on anything else, but its a heck of a lot better than driving out to I-drive:)

Now all I have to do is go pick up my boat and im set!

--cjc--
caleb
State Moderator

Postby smoke'em » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:37 pm

I had to go out to Sports Authority in Daytona Beach for #4 steel shot last year.
smoking quack again

Friends don't let friends miss ducks!
smoke'em
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:38 am

Order your shell's by the case/s well before season oopens and save some cash.
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:49 am

I talked with one of the guys that I know working there and he expects there steel to be 2.00 more than last year buy the time season gets here. I ordered 2 cases of 3's from cabelas back in March for 8.49 a box. That should get me a good start for the season. The worst increase is for the Tungston Matrix shells, I shoot them in a couple of older 16 not rated for steel. I got them from Macks in March for 13.99 a box, now they are 30.00 a box in the catalog that I got last week.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby caleb » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:33 am

My problem is I need to pattern my gun(its new). Then I will order a case of whatever shoots the best. But I cant pattern what I cant buy. Im going to try bps this weekend. I hope they have more than GM.

--cjc--
caleb
State Moderator

Postby snipeshooter » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:42 am

If you can't find any and want to pattern your gun I have a box of Win. Expert 1550 fps 3's you can use just replace it when you by your ammo. Also have a handfull of 1300 fps 4's you can try also. I seem to have alot less cripples on ringers when using the 3's versus 4's.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby DUCKWHACKER » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:32 am

BPS seems to either have the cheapo shells or high dollar on the shelf. Never any good mid priced ones. Looks like I'll be orderin' some Kent #3's , probably 2 cases. :thumbsup:
Regional Director United Waterfowlers of Florida

Member of the Bay Area Quack Ho's
DUCKWHACKER
hunter

Postby caleb » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:36 am

How many people on hear shoot KENTS? Ive heard good things about them but have never tried them.
caleb
State Moderator

Postby BigBend » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:47 am

i had a box of 3.5's and it was the only shell my 935 would eject right, i ordered a case of #4's and plan to use them the whole season.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby snipeshooter » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:47 am

I don't know about the Kents but I have been shooting the Win Expert 1550 fps for the last three years and after 6 cases have had 0 misfires and no cycleing problems in my autos. I have read that the pellets are not round and the powder is dirty. All I can say is they have killed alot of ducks for me with out any problems and they are inexpensive ammo compared to some of the others.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:13 am

snipeshooter wrote: the Win Expert 1550 fps .

Cheap but effective, I've shot many a box of those and they always perform as, if not better than expected. I can only remmber one misfire, but that was due to some smart ass I was hunting with replacing the shot with glitter confetti. :no:

The worst I've seen used is Hevi-Shot, high dollar gimmick. Boy was a damn good shot using plain cheap steel and decided to waste some money on a case of Hevi. He ended up saving it for turkey season and bought another case of Winchester's to finish out duck season
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Postby caleb » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:25 pm

I shot some win 1550 last year as well. Very suprised as to how well they worked after cutting 4 diiferent manufacturer shells open and finding they were the only ones that werent round and had corrosion inside the shot. Im deffinatly going to give them a try again when it comes time to pattern.
caleb
State Moderator

Postby DUCKWHACKER » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:34 pm

Bought a case of Kent last year and had no problems with it. Started with the el cheapo stuff and seemed to have to finish off too mant divers on the water. Kents have produced much better results for me, real or preceived and I don't plan on changin' any time soon.
Regional Director United Waterfowlers of Florida

Member of the Bay Area Quack Ho's
DUCKWHACKER
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting