Taxidermist suggestions!

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Taxidermist suggestions!

Postby jdnole0585 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:49 am

I am looking to mount this pintail and wanted to see if I could get some suggestions from you guys on who I should send it to. This is my first pintail and the hunt was definitely a memorable one. Obviously, I want to get him done by one of the best. After doing some research I noticed that Bill Comstock's name came up numerous times. I called him and it sounds like it would be close to a year before getting it back. I don't mind waiting that long but would like to get it back sooner. Would you guys give me some suggestions on who I should get to mount my pintail? Should I suck it up and wait the year for Bill?
Attachments
Pintail 2.jpg
Pintail 1.jpg
jdnole0585
hunter

Re: Taxidermist suggestions!

Postby QuacknStrut » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:21 pm

Harden's in Thomasville mounted my Sister in Law's drake pinner. It looks like a goose on the wall it is so big. Absolutely beautiful mount. Some may do it as nice, I see no way to do it better.
QuacknStrut
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:24 pm

You're going to wait and pay for quality work
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby jdnole0585 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm

QuacknStrut wrote:Harden's in Thomasville mounted my Sister in Law's drake pinner. It looks like a goose on the wall it is so big. Absolutely beautiful mount. Some may do it as nice, I see no way to do it better.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into Hardens!
jdnole0585
hunter

Postby jdnole0585 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:41 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:You're going to wait and pay for quality work

You're probably right haha.
jdnole0585
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:48 pm

I got a guy in Orlando that knocks em out in less than six months. Does pretty good work. Had two done by him so far

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby TooheyBirdie14 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:16 pm

I roamed around the Taxidermy section on this forum and ran over Todd Huffman stuff. Was pretty blown away with his work so I went with him for my dog's first retrieve. I know you can pay an expediting fee with them and they'll get the bird back in 3 months. I think it's like 100 bucks extra if it's worth it to you. Gorgeous pintail by the way.. My first one's going on the wall as well.
1stMount.jpg
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff....
TooheyBirdie14
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:12 pm

TooheyBirdie14 wrote:I roamed around the Taxidermy section on this forum and ran over Todd Huffman stuff. Was pretty blown away with his work so I went with him for my dog's first retrieve. I know you can pay an expediting fee with them and they'll get the bird back in 3 months. I think it's like 100 bucks extra if it's worth it to you. Gorgeous pintail by the way.. My first one's going on the wall as well.
1stMount.jpg

I've ways wanted to send a duck to that birdman guy. How much of a hassle was it to ship
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby jdnole0585 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:57 am

TooheyBirdie14 wrote:I roamed around the Taxidermy section on this forum and ran over Todd Huffman stuff. Was pretty blown away with his work so I went with him for my dog's first retrieve. I know you can pay an expediting fee with them and they'll get the bird back in 3 months. I think it's like 100 bucks extra if it's worth it to you. Gorgeous pintail by the way.. My first one's going on the wall as well.

Thanks, I was pretty pumped when I got that bird in hand. I just got off the phone with a lady at Birdman Studios and received some pricing information. Definitely a little pricey. $295 mount, $65 for optional frame plack, $100 for optional express, and $70 for return shipping on a flying mount for a total of around $530. But, you're definitely right about the quality of the work on his website and your mount is awesome!

I think that I'm just going to go with Bill Comstock. Will some of you guys that have used him please post up some pictures of your mounts? I'd greatly appreciate it!! :thumbsup:
jdnole0585
hunter

Postby TooheyBirdie14 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:12 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:
1stMount.jpg

I've ways wanted to send a duck to that birdman guy. How much of a hassle was it to ship

Not too much of a hassle really.. I just put the bird in a ziplock bag with the head folded back over the body so his neck wouldn't break off, squeezed as much of the air out as possible, and sealed.. put that bag inside another bag just to make sure. Put it in the freezer till you want to send it. Then I stuffed a box with crumbled up newspaper and the bird and shipped it out... considering it's winter, you could probably ship in by ground, but I two day shipped it from work..tee hee hee...

There are short little videos on his website that show you exactly what to do..I'll definitely be sending more birds to Todd.
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff....
TooheyBirdie14
hunter

Postby saguesw » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:37 pm

Here are a few pintails Bill Comstock has done. I took these the last time I was at his studio with my phone so image quality may not be the best. Hope they help. I have used Bill for all of my waterfowl mounts, he does nothing but waterfowl and has been doing it for over 40 years.

Here is one standing.
saguesw
Newb

Postby jdnole0585 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks, saguesw! Those pintails look great. I plan on trying to get him my bird in the next couple weeks.
jdnole0585
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Not to jack the op's post, but how important is it for the head to be untouched? Buddy killed his first red head but one side has a spot the size of a bb with no feathers, maybe slightly larger. He wants a flying mount so I told him worst case just have the birds "bad" side facing the wall.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:36 am

jakefromflorida wrote:Not to jack the op's post, but how important is it for the head to be untouched? Buddy killed his first red head but one side has a spot the size of a bb with no feathers, maybe slightly larger. He wants a flying mount so I told him worst case just have the birds "bad" side facing the wall.

A good taxi will fix em up.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:16 am

waterdogds wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:Not to jack the op's post, but how important is it for the head to be untouched? Buddy killed his first red head but one side has a spot the size of a bb with no feathers, maybe slightly larger. He wants a flying mount so I told him worst case just have the birds "bad" side facing the wall.

A good taxi will fix em up.

Ten four thanks.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby bulldawgsierra » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:27 am

My dad does taxi work so of coarse I am gonna say use him. But hardens in Thomasville is a friend of ours and I would def recommend him as well does great work. Congrats on the pin.
bulldawgsierra
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:56 pm

That would be his ear :grin:
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:15 pm

whaknstak wrote:

That would be his ear :grin:

This is totally my blind motto now.

"smash em in the ear!"

Thanks Whak, lol.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby jdnole0585 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:58 am

Took my pintail to Bill Comstock on Saturday. He seems to be a great guy that loves to talk about ducks and the work that he does. It was really nice to be able to pick his brain for a while about his thoughts on how I wanted my mount to turn out. I took a few pictures of some of his work and thought that I'd share.

Thanks again for the input and suggestions!
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo (2).jpg
photo (1).jpg
jdnole0585
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:17 am

He's definitely a master of his craft. How long will it take to get your bird back?
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby jdnole0585 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:48 pm

waterdogds wrote:He's definitely a master of his craft. How long will it take to get your bird back?

Should be at least 8 months. I asked him to make it look like the pintail below and to put it on a stand similar to the one below. He said that he will put ripples in the water to add to the taking off look. I cannot wait to get it back!!!!
Attachments
flushing_mallard_(1).jpg
Pintail-taking-off-close-3S2611.jpg
jdnole0585
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:15 pm

jdnole0585 wrote:
waterdogds wrote:He's definitely a master of his craft. How long will it take to get your bird back?

Should be at least 8 months. I asked him to make it look like the pintail below and to put it on a stand similar to the one below. He said that he will put ripples in the water to add to the taking off look. I cannot wait to get it back!!!!

Nice. That's gonna be a sweet mount.
waterdogds
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting