Duck Hunting Forum banner

Introduce yourself!

69K views 363 replies 208 participants last post by  Jmb3006 
#1 ·
Since season is nearing I predict the inrush of new users on the board/s.
It happens every year.
I'm thinking if the new and old users post up a little intro about themselves it could help keep us all a little more active not only during season but throughout the entire year.
Theres no reason to let AW have all the fun.

Hey new guys.
Introduce yourself before posting up wanting advice/info on hunting areas.
Helps to know a little about someone before giving out any info.

#2 ·
Hi, my name is Caleb

Im a 29 year old General contractor in Volusia, orange and seminole county FL. I love to bow hunt, I love to duck hunt. I pretty much will hunt anything on this continent that taste good(and some animals that dont). Ive been in FL since the age of four. I grew up hunting florida and georgia woods. Im severely tattooed and love the fact that 90% of the people in the "hunting community" dont understand it and think im "wierd".

Thats me in a nut shell, I build custom homes and I hunt, thats it.

--cjc--

#4 ·
I'm Jack and I'm a whole 16 years old...
I was introduced to duck hunting by my dad at
4 and every year it just gets better.

I'm not the typical hunter only a few of my friends
know that side of me but for about 150 days a year
its all country music and working on the boat or
decoys getting ready for another season

My role model is Phil Roberson (anyone who can make
money duck hunting and preaching about the Almighty is a
role model in my book)

I grew up hunting the St. Johns and I know it better
then I know most roads

thats basically it

#5 ·
I am Jessie and i am currently in the Navy stationed at NAS Jax, I am 29 yrs old have a wife and 3 kids, 2 girls 12 and 7 and a 6 yr old boy, I grew up in Texas mainly rabbit hunting for a little extra money and doing a lot of fishing...then i left that great state to join the military in 1998, been all over the world and more since then...started duck hunting in 2003 and have been addicted ever since i shot my first greenhead...i love to fish and hunt other animals but, everything else seems to take a back seat to ducks now...that is where all my money seems to go... :lol: i do like to play softball on occassion but, my number one passion is quack...

#6 ·
I am 32 years old and i am a landscape and irrigation contractor in Central Florida. my brother got me into hunting about 6 years ago mainly deer hunting but i absoultely got the bug the first time we went duck hunting in a small grove pond in Eustis that was full of woodducks.
I have been hooked ever since i bought my first duck boat last year and we hunted just about every day. we got my father hooked last year when he shot his first mottle.

I am married with a nine year old boy who also has the bug
and an 11 month old little girl

My wife is very understanding and has no problems with my addiction

There is nothing better on this planet than being in a blind with my father , my brother , and my son when the sun breaks the horizon.

#7 ·
Well looks like Iam the old man of the bunch. My name is Jim.

I was born right here in Sanford in 08/15/1960. I have been hunting and fishing these local woods and waters as long as I can remember. I have been married for 20+ years and have one son and one daughter. If it walks, crawls or flies I will hunt it, but been heavy in to the ducks the last few years.

If you see a big, ugly, gray bearded ******* looking guy running down the river in a gator trax with a hyper on the back there is a good chance it is me.

#8 ·
snipeshooter said:
Well looks like Iam the old man of the bunch...
Old hell.
You get around better than most guys my age and are a hell of alot more hardcore waterfowler than most as well. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I suppose its my turn.

Im Matt Goldschmidt. 38, dad of 4, (15, 11, 6, and 2) Two boys and two girls. Im in the tv industry, primarilly oudoor programming, videography and editing for network TV. I have a wonderful wife who appreciates my addictions. I grew up in Indiana, then spend a good deal of time in Tennessee. I go up there a few times a year to hunt deer, duck, goose, turkey, bear and the occasional small game hunt with my kids. My heart is in Tennesse. In florida, fish, hunt, camp, etc. as much as possible. Id much rather be outdoors than in. And because of that, I belive the hunt is not all about the kill... its the experience outdoors, with a friend or a family member - watching the sun rise... and feeling the world come alive. The payoff.... is food for the family. Thats hunting to me.

Duck hunting has always been a part of my hunting experience. Yet it is one of my favorite hunts of all. When you will give up hours of sleep, run a boat in the dark swamp, set out decoys, and spend money as we do just for TWO WOOD DUCKS.... (and be happy about it) you know your addicted. I am. And I know a few others who are.

also, I got to add, the toys that go along with this addiction couldnt be better. Guns, boats, atv's, trailers, trucks, camo anything - and critters that go on the wall.

Thats me.
Hope to see you on some body or river some day.

#11 ·
JackHunts said:
I'm Jack and I'm a whole 16 years old...
I was introduced to duck hunting by my dad at
4 and every year it just gets better.

I'm not the typical hunter only a few of my friends
know that side of me but for about 150 days a year
its all country music and working on the boat or
decoys getting ready for another season

My role model is Phil Roberson (anyone who can make
money duck hunting and preaching about the Almighty is a
role model in my book)

I grew up hunting the St. Johns and I know it better
then I know most roads

thats basically it
This teen's got his head on straight :welcome: aboard Jack.

#12 ·
Pushing along w/ 31 years, but was born with camo on. Grew up in NW FL hunting the Eglin reservation. Started young w/ squirrels, turkeys, and doves. Then moved on to bowhunting deer and spearfishing anything edible that swims. Went to school in Tallahasse to be an EE and hunted deer and turkeys, then moved to Melbourne and picked up more duck hunting. Before that duck hunting was basically jump shooting birds that we could sneak up on. Now it's full bore with the duck boats, waders, deeks, and all the other fun stuff. Mostly hit the IR, SJR, TM Goodwin and various lakes around Tallahassee. Have hunted in FL, GA, MS, AL, OH, WI, ME, and LA. Just getting started. Married BigBend's cousin and now we tear up the birds whenever we can. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Names Mike and I'm 42 years old. Been duckin' for about 6 years now. I was a hardcore deer man till I discovered ducks. Now I deer hunt about 2 or 3 weekends a year when it doesn't interfere with the birds. Turkey huntin' is my other weakness.
I've got a hunt camp just west of Ocala National Forest and enjoy time there with family and friends.
Married with a 22 year old son who is a Marine on his third tour to Iraq.

#14 ·
Hello guys I am a firefighter paramedic living in the panhandle. I grew up in southweat georgia hunting every little slew, creek, or pond that would give me a shot at a woody. I won't lie. My first outdoor passion is Turkey hunting, but ducks are a close second. I have been learning more about choctawhatchee bay and west bay the last couple off years and I also shoot Choctawhatchee River. I am married and have a 1 y/o beautiful little girl who I just know will love the outdoors. Anyone in the panhandle who really loves this stuff and won't milk a good spot can give me a shout.

#15 ·
Dajowi said:
Hello guys I am a firefighter paramedic living in the panhandle. I grew up in southweat georgia hunting every little slew, creek, or pond that would give me a shot at a woody. I won't lie. My first outdoor passion is Turkey hunting, but ducks are a close second. I have been learning more about choctawhatchee bay and west bay the last couple off years and I also shoot Choctawhatchee River. I am married and have a 1 y/o beautiful little girl who I just know will love the outdoors. Anyone in the panhandle who really loves this stuff and won't milk a good spot can give me a shout.
:welcome:

#16 ·
Hey all, im a college student here in lakeland. Originally i'm from ocean city, new jersey. I've been trying to start duck hunting here in florida since my freshman year(im a junior now). When im home i hunt every day i can. I've hunt every type of waterfowl in my area from geese, to puddle ducks to divers. I've been emailing WMA's, "Sta's" and the FWC trying to get info and the chance to hunt here in florida, but it seems like i need permits or to win a lottery to hunt public land. If anyone's willing to let me tag along on a hunt id greatly appreciate it and would host them back at south jersey if they ever wanted to. My scedual's very flexable, i scedualed all my classes all day on tuesday and thursday to open up time for me to go fishing,(and hopefully hunting) from friday-monday. Most sunday's i'll be at church though. I brought a 14' jon boat with a 8hp motor down to school with me. I work hard and am easy to get along with(and if you dont think so you can chuck me over the side and feed me to the gators). I'll try to post up some pictures to let you see what huntings like up north. -Eddiep

#20 ·
kg4yus said:
du_uga11 said:
JIMBOTHEDUCKMAN :huh:
Name is Garrett. Like to hunt, fish, camp, whitewater rafting, lifting weights, play rugby, and just go ride on my boat. Been hunting since I was able to hold a gun. Love anything in the outdoors.....Job keeps me couped up inside all week, so anytime I can get out is a blessing. Got two labs that I hunt with and enjoy training them. Like to hunt any ducks from wood ducks in ponds to divers on the bays. Have a couple of mighty layout boats that we use for that. Have a 14' Polarkraft with a 23hp Mudbuddy Vanguard Sport (best motors in the business if you ask me.) But you can call me JimbotheDuckMan :thumbsup:

#21 ·
du_uga11 said:
23hp Mudbuddy Vanguard Sport :
Same motor I run. Usually on a 1548 Skiff.Currnetly on a 1644 Xcell
Pound for Pound the 23 Van's are the top performers of Brigg's lineup. Dying for the boys at MB to get the exhaust lined out for the small blocks.

#22 ·
kg4yus said:
du_uga11 said:
23hp Mudbuddy Vanguard Sport :
Same motor I run. Usually on a 1548 Skiff.Currnetly on a 1644 Xcell
Pound for Pound the 23 Van's are the top performers of Brigg's lineup. Dying for the boys at MB to get the exhaust lined out for the small blocks.
Been waiting for that too!! Any idea of the ETA for that? :huh: Thought BoatDr said it would be towards the end of this year.

#23 ·
Thats what was said for the Mercury/MB Prop too.

I was told not untill after the first of the year if all goes well.
I'm not holding my breath.

#24 ·
Relatively new to the Ocala area (2 yrs)......5 yrs in Gainsville.
I moved here from central Virginia and have not duck hunted here at all.
I hunted hard in VA for ducks and geese. Sold my boats when I left up there and have only fished since getting here.
I am 58 yrs old.
I am and Life Sponsor with DU and so is my wife Karen. We were very active in DU in VA where I served as locale chairman several times and on Virginia State Council for 10 yrs as State Shooting Chairman.
I also participated in the DU national shooting council for two years.

I grew up in south GA shooting wood ducks...and whatever else I could find.
Started snipe hunting on the GA coast back when most people thought they were imaginary birds. Love to shot them......very challageing.

The only waterfowl hunting I have done since moving here is going back to VA for ducks and geese. Early goose season there is great. Geese in the morning and doves in the afternoon.

I will be back in VA over the week of Thanksgiving and will be shooting a few mallards, geese and maybe a deer or two.

Would love to find a place to get out and shoot a few birds but have not met anyone who duck hunts down here.

#25 ·
Welcome aboard Gary.

Theres plenty of guys in Ocala that Duck Hunt.
Stick around, I'm sure we can get you back in the swing of things.

#26 ·
My turn, My turn, My name is Patrick Carrington. I am 23 years old and I never stop thinking about waterfowl. I have been doing it with ducks for about 10 years now . My favorite is geese. Not many in Florida but how says you cant travel. I have a good friend John Heupel that taught me the way of Southern waterfowling. I Grew up in Marshall, Michigan in were the geese get thick. I am in the navy at NAS jax and work about two biulding down from Jessie(woodie77). I am also a part of Team Redneckin', A hunting club and soon to be guiding outfit. I have a wife and son that i cant wait to teach how to hunt and fish. I have had any words of advise, it would be DUCK ID. Know your ducks. It well save you money when you meet the FWC :lol: I hate coots :mad: