Season almost over, your scouting tips for next year.

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Season almost over, your scouting tips for next year.

Postby FreedomHunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:36 am

So here is what I am thinking, I have scouted two lakes in the past two years and parts of the St. Johns. I would like your tips for myself and other new comers on what to look for when your scouting and places to be weary of with venturing.

For example: Was out doing some scouting on Jessup after hunting a different area. During the process I looked back at my motor only to see how thick the mud was even though it was at the opening of a cut. I quickly turned around to get out of there even though the motor was not peeing. I had no choice the wind was screaming in that direction and would have only pushed me further in. I also don't believe I would have been able to poll out of there due to how thick the mud was. Use caution when scouting around that lake's edges.

Now I have scouted two lakes and both lakes I ran into this problem but the other lake was not as bad seeing I could poll out. I want to scout some more areas for next season, but was wondering if some of you could tell me places to avoid with an outboard. I was looking at puzzle lake from google maps and it looks very muddy and shallow.

Maybe should buy a four rivers with a mud motor :grooving: , boy would the wife hate me.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Re: Season almost over, your scouting tips for next year.

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:12 am

I honestly don't know how people duck hunt Florida lakes without a mudmotor
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby FreedomHunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks bud that makes me feel real good about my new boat. LOL 90% of the time I am chasing those tailing redfish in the lagoon so for my main boat a mud motor would not have made that much since. Now I need to find a cheap duck boat that can hold 2 people and 2 dozen deeks. I really like the ebads 4 rivers but a use NMZ gheenoe would prob do just as well and I might be able to get one really cheap and rebuild it.

Can the 4 rivers boats sink or are they filled with foam? Seems like a big bathtub if they start taking on water.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Just quit duck hunting, it sucks, no ducks are in fl, and it's too hard.

Just kidding.

I agree with quack mostly. However, I hunted the first two years with a 9.9 outboard. Everything I've hunted this year and last could have been done with a outboard. Yes, it would have been hard work, but possible.

To me that's the trade off, price versus hard work. I love my MM.

Ps- there's been lakes in the past, quite a few, that a outboard would have just cryed at the ramp. So, it's a give and take deal. Accept what you have and make it work.

Hope you get it figured out, you already learned some it sounds like.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:I honestly don't know how people duck hunt Florida lakes without a mudmotor

Only true bad asses use outboards.

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:34 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
quackhunter99 wrote:I honestly don't know how people duck hunt Florida lakes without a mudmotor

You guys can have the bad ass persona and I'll keep on moving to my destination with this mud buddy.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:44 pm

waterdogds wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

You guys can have the bad ass persona and I'll keep on moving to my destination with this mud buddy.

I'm actually gonna bite the bullet this offseason and build a long tail I think. It annoys me when I have to clear hydrilla from my impeller screen continuously.

WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:50 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
waterdogds wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

I'm actually gonna bite the bullet this offseason and build a long tail I think. It annoys me when I have to clear hydrilla from my impeller screen continuously.

Do it..... You'll be glad you did Joe. My dream flats boat will be powered by a air cooled surface drive.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:57 pm

:hijack:

OP...learn all bodies of water in your immediate area. Depth, land marks and anything that may be useful during the season. Get yourself a good pair of binoculars and spend twice as much time scouting as actually hunting.

Just my .02 and by no means all there is to good recon. Good luck :thumbsup:
waterdogds
hunter

Postby Murraymc711 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:04 pm

I have both I have a go devil and a out board I like the speed of the outboard and honestly there was only a few times I could have used my mud motor. The only reason the devil doesn't live on the boat is caus I upgraded the boat this year and it won't push this boat faster than 10-12mph so I'm going to get a smaller boat for it next year
Murraymc711
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:40 am

Murraymc711 wrote:I have both I have a go devil and a out board I like the speed of the outboard and honestly there was only a few times I could have used my mud motor. The only reason the devil doesn't live on the boat is caus I upgraded the boat this year and it won't push this boat faster than 10-12mph so I'm going to get a smaller boat for it next year

Outboards are faster, but the mud motor will always get you to where you're going with no problems.

The Tortoise vs The Hare :thumbsup:
waterdogds
hunter

Postby NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:16 pm

you can keep the outboard, its nice cruising at 30 miles an hour comfortably with 4 guys, decoys, dogs, guns, blind bags, and other random stuff through open water, strait mud, grass or anything else that gets in the way aka log jams, beaver dams, or dry land, just jump em and keep on riding :lol:
36 Prodrive FPR chasing a 1654 express
NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER
hunter

Postby FreedomHunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Well I am pulling the trigger on a Backwater Swomp 23 lt for my Super 16 Gheenoe. I ordered a floor crane and will switch motors on my boat during Hunting season and back to the outboard when its over to go fishing. Wife said no to two boats, but not to two motors. I am wondering if I will get in trouble.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:34 pm

FreedomHunter wrote:Well I am pulling the trigger on a Backwater Swomp 23 lt for my Super 16 Gheenoe. I ordered a floor crane and will switch motors on my boat during Hunting season and back to the outboard when its over to go fishing. Wife said no to two boats, but not to two motors. I am wondering if I will get in trouble.

I've always heard, it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Good luck sir. :thumbsup:
waterdogds
hunter

Postby FishH2o » Sun May 04, 2014 2:05 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:

I think we had a few places in your boat we had to turn around at :help:
FishH2o
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun May 04, 2014 5:08 pm

FishH2o wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

I think we had a few places in your boat we had to turn around at :help:

Just wasn't enough HP

Sent from my new blue iPhone with Anti-Botiz software

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Tue May 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Hello tmclaimerFL swampman hear Go to u tube mangrove mud motor and see my larger boat running with A new 7hp mud motor in 4 in water and lots of real tall cat tails.I think I would take A mud motor to hunt with and fish also you can get real skinny. Well be safe take A kid hunting
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Tue May 27, 2014 8:44 am

tmclaimer,

As you know, I've been doing it w/a outboard alone the past 2 years. Works great on that one lake, but this year I'm adding a mudmotor for sure. Really need it to open some other areas. Most other areas. I've considered a building one myself, but I'd love to have a "shorter" longtail (like a go-devil). I almost bought one (used) last year, but accidently spent the $$ on a new shotgun. 2014 will be the year for sure.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue May 27, 2014 9:40 am

Coonrod wrote:tmclaimer,

As you know, I've been doing it w/a outboard alone the past 2 years. Works great on that one lake, but this year I'm adding a mudmotor for sure. Really need it to open some other areas. Most other areas. I've considered a building one myself, but I'd love to have a "shorter" longtail (like a go-devil). I almost bought one (used) last year, but accidently spent the $$ on a new shotgun. 2014 will be the year for sure.

Your boat is 15' or 16'? I think the go devil or even a copperhead would work great on your rig.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Tue May 27, 2014 11:40 am

14', but a big 14'.. it think so, too.
I like the backwater motors as well. I'll either build one or find a good deal on one between now and August.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Tue May 27, 2014 12:42 pm

Coonrod wrote:14', but a big 14'.. it think so, too.
I like the backwater motors as well. I'll either build one or find a good deal on one between now and August.

Wouldn't a big 14 be a 15 or a 16? [WINKING FACE]
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue May 27, 2014 12:46 pm

whaknstak wrote:
Coonrod wrote:14', but a big 14'.. it think so, too.

Wouldn't a big 14 be a 15 or a 16? [WINKING FACE]

We got a jokester in here

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Tue May 27, 2014 12:58 pm

This is the boat..

I've strongly considered the copperhead 14-18hp for her as well.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Yea I would suggest getting a MM for that boat. There are a lot of places that you can hunt with a outboard. When I was in High school that's how we use to do it. But to really scout and find places that others haven't touched a MM is the ticket. Again with what you have doesn't mean you cant find bird though. Good luck
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:26 am

Yep, it's flat on the rear 2/3rds and quite light. I'm shopping in the 14-18hp range. Any bigger and I'd have to start reinforcing the transom and the weight would outweigh the benefit I think.

We've had great luck in certain marshes where there's depth, but taking it to parts east of Orlando makes for a very frustrating experience to say the least. I'm on the brink of putting a SWOMP LITE kit in the 14 hp range on it right now.

That thing gets gone with the 25 Merc on it though.
Coonrod
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting