duck bow hunting on city lakes

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

duck bow hunting on city lakes

Postby carlosburitica » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:41 pm

according to FWC
In general, waterfowl hunting in Florida is permitted on any water body that has public access, unless it is closed for a specific reason, such as being in a park or in an area where the discharge of firearms is prohibited.

Now... a lot of city ponds and lakes hold good population of migrating ducks, they have public access, they don't have a sign that says CLOSED for hunting, basically it will be legal, but cinte they are on a no fire are discharge zone you can't hunt them

but....waterfowl is legal to take with a bow and arrow. so that meas that i can just go on a city canal and hunt them with my bow and arrow????????????, lets say on a small pond around the turnpike or the I-95?????

any info on this?????
carlosburitica
hunter

Re: duck bow hunting on city lakes

Postby FlaWoodie » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:58 pm

thats an interesting idea, i dont really know the answer lol. Its like that t.v. show where the guys hunt deer with bow in local neighborhoods, just gotta have landowner permission if private not sure what would be the diff between the two. BUT, I certainly dont know the law as well as I should and alot less than others on this forum. Therefore, I defer to Mitchell. he will tell you whats up :thumbsup:
You pay for you!

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Paging Whaknstak

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:54 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:Paging Whaknstak

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.

Right.... Lol
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:55 am

There are multiple threads on this topic. I have asked for a sticky for this exact reason. Look through the last month's updated threads and you will find your answer.

Edit: I made it easy. All three threads bumped to top. Reading em top to bottom should prove beneficial.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby carlosburitica » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:15 am

most threads about this topic is about where or not to discharge a fire arm.

but what about a bow.???

if i read everything right i can basically hunt ducks with bow and arrow in may places.

1.duck hunting florida law:
Duck Hunting

In general, waterfowl hunting in Florida is permitted on any water body that has public access, unless it is closed for a specific reason, such as being in a park or in an area where the discharge of firearms is prohibited. Wildlife management areas (WMAs), water management district (WMD) lands, and national wildlife refuges (NWRs) that offer duck hunting may have special permit requirements and restrictions on when and where you can hunt.

many city ponds and canals falls into public access body of watr plus not even a residential zone..

2.federal migratory bird regulations:
- Lawful means and methods
Shotguns not larger than 10-gauge (shotguns capable
of holding more than three shells must be plugged to a
three-shell capacity with a one-piece filler that cannot
be removed without disassembling the gun), long and
compound bows and arrows
, falconry, dogs, artificial
decoys and manual or mouth-operated bird calls.
Hunting is permitted in the open or from a blind or
other type of concealment (except a sink box) or from a
floating craft.

so that means i can basically walk in to a pond next to the a highway that has no signs of closed for hunting, that is filled with ducks, drop my decoys and shot them with bow and arrow (set for bow fishing to recover the ducks and not to loose the arrows), recover them and walk out with a limit and completely legal????

wish some one have more info on this, don't really want to be example in court...
carlosburitica
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:33 pm

carlosburitica wrote:most threads about this topic is about where or not to discharge a fire arm.
wish some one have more info on this, don't really want to be example in court...

Then don't rely on an internet forum for legal counsel. Give FWC a call...
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:08 am

carlosburitica wrote:most threads about this topic is about where or not to discharge a fire arm. but what about a bow.???

I would bet there are few, if any ordinances that prohibit the discharge of a bow. Check your local ordinances and see.

if i read everything right i can basically hunt ducks with bow and arrow in may places.

Same with a gun. There are few places a bow is legal and a firearm isn't.

1.duck hunting florida law:
Duck Hunting

In general, waterfowl hunting in Florida is permitted on any water body that has public access, unless it is closed for a specific reason, such as being in a park or in an area where the discharge of firearms is prohibited. Wildlife management areas (WMAs), water management district (WMD) lands, and national wildlife refuges (NWRs) that offer duck hunting may have special permit requirements and restrictions on when and where you can hunt.

many city ponds and canals falls into public access body of watr plus not even a residential zone..

2.federal migratory bird regulations:
- Lawful means and methods
Shotguns not larger than 10-gauge (shotguns capable
of holding more than three shells must be plugged to a
three-shell capacity with a one-piece filler that cannot
be removed without disassembling the gun), long and
compound bows and arrows
, falconry, dogs, artificial
decoys and manual or mouth-operated bird calls.
Hunting is permitted in the open or from a blind or
other type of concealment (except a sink box) or from a
floating craft.

so that means i can basically walk in to a pond next to the a highway that has no signs of closed for hunting, that is filled with ducks, drop my decoys and shot them with bow and arrow (set for bow fishing to recover the ducks and not to loose the arrows), recover them and walk out with a limit and completely legal????

Possibly. If the pond is public, and not simply a drainage ditch on the road right of way (hunting from the right of way is a misdemeanor), and isn't managed by dep, and you enter and exit from property you have legal right to be on, you can most likely hunt ducks with a bow. Again check your local laws or ordinances for prohibition of discharge of a bow which isn't covered by preemption.

Read the rules and statutes yourself, and determine your actions based on your findings. Just cause a guy on dhc said so doesn't hold up in court. Do your own homework cause it won't be my wrists in bracelets

See above.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby dogyak » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm sure the tree huggers will love seeing this , lol ! :lol:
dogyak
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting