Deer from a duck blind? legal?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Deer from a duck blind? legal?

Postby Roboduck11 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:44 pm

I could probably find the answer I'm looking for with a little research, but I just thought of this while sitting on my couch and figured somebody might have a quick answer. Earlier this season I was hunting the Saint John's and was setup on a small island. A deer bolted across some land and into the water and swam onto an island across from mine and was about 20 yards away. after a minute or so he saw us and spooked. My question is, if all permits are in order, and I happened to be in a legal deer hunting zone, and happened to have buckshot, could I take the deer legally?

Thanks
Roboduck11
hunter

Re: Deer from a duck blind? legal?

Postby quackhunter99 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Buckshot is lead. Strike one
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby dogyak » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:17 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:Buckshot is lead. Strike one

X2 :no:
dogyak
hunter

Postby Hitech2redneck » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 pm

The book only talks about shot that I can find. So buck shot is out of the question due to it being lead shot. But I see nothing about slugs and that is not considered shot. They do make lead free slugs for hunting so I dont see a problem with it.
Hitech2redneck
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:34 am

Hitech2redneck wrote:The book only talks about shot that I can find. So buck shot is out of the question due to it being lead shot. But I see nothing about slugs and that is not considered shot. They do make lead free slugs for hunting so I dont see a problem with it.

But wouldn't it also need to be legal for waterfowl since its in your possession? Single projectiles aren't legal for birds where I come from. Therefore if they found it, I'm sure they would be able yo ticket you for it right?
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:53 am

It's only illegal under Florida law to take or attempt to take or attempt to take ducks with lead shot. Simply having it in your possessing is no longer a violation.

that said, a federal game warden may have a different take on the matter.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:16 am

I've shot a bunch of deer out of my boat...
36 Prodrive FPR chasing a 1654 express
NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER
hunter

Postby NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 am

My buddy shot a spike the other morning on the way back with 3 inch #3 hevi metal
36 Prodrive FPR chasing a 1654 express
NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:38 pm

whaknstak wrote:It's only illegal under Florida law to take or attempt to take or attempt to take ducks with lead shot. Simply having it in your possessing is no longer a violation.

Just talking here.... If you was to have a empty hull at your feet that was lead after shooting a deer with a slug/buckshot.... Couldn't that be a ticket?
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 pm

YJSONLY wrote:
whaknstak wrote: Simply having it in your possessing is no longer a violation.

Just talking here.... If you was to have a empty hull at your feet that was lead after shooting a deer with a slug/buckshot.... Couldn't that be a ticket?

They probably need more than just an empty to cite you.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 pm

YJSONLY wrote:
whaknstak wrote:It's only illegal under Florida law to take or attempt to take or attempt to take ducks with lead shot. Simply having it in your possessing is no longer a violation.

Can you not reload lead hulls with steel shot?
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:26 am

whaknstak wrote:
YJSONLY wrote:

Scenario last day of season went to store bought all steel they had after giving it out to all hunters he had 5 or so. So shot lead shot first.... Then shot steel. Had no lead in gun or on him. As picking up birds the man popped out of bushes and wanted to check guns. Guy handed Over gun with steel in it. GW went over to where he was shooting and pulled empty lead hulls. $200 and a court day later he want do that anymore.

This was not me but a guy I know that has no reason to lie to me. Did he no follow the law yes! But couldn't that happen in this case?
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:32 am

YJSONLY wrote:
whaknstak wrote:
YJSONLY wrote:

Scenario last day of season went to store bought all steel they had after giving it out to all hunters he had 5 or so. So shot lead shot first.... Then shot steel. Had no lead in gun or on him. As picking up birds the man popped out of bushes and wanted to check guns. Guy handed Over gun with steel in it. GW went over to where he was shooting and pulled empty lead hulls. $200 and a court day later he want do that anymore.

This was not me but a guy I know that has no reason to lie to me. Did he no follow the law yes! But couldn't that happen in this case?

See post number six. It's only illegal to take or attempt to take ducks with lead.

That sounds like what your buddy did. I wasn't there, and I'm not gunna what if every possible scenario. Don't shoot ducks with lead, and you don't have to see the judge.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:21 pm

whaknstak wrote:
YJSONLY wrote:
whaknstak wrote:
YJSONLY wrote:

See post number six. It's only illegal to take or attempt to take ducks with lead.

That sounds like what your buddy did. I wasn't there, and I'm not gunna what if every possible scenario. Don't shoot ducks with lead, and you don't have to see the judge.

O i totally agree he was in the wrong! But all I am asking is if you have in your possession in the blind lead slug or buckshot(for deer) could they ticket you? The reason why I ask is I always make sure that my pockets/bag are free from one or 2 dove lead shells (never going to use for ducks) I just curious at this point.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:51 am

You will not get a ticket for carry lead in your blind bag. It is not against the law. Print and keep a copy of florida firearm statutes in your bag... I carry a box of rifled slugs when I hunt. Never know whats gonna walk out on you.

Exhibit number one: Shot this while duck hunting at a local WMA.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby sbr01 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:43 pm

You can shoot snipe with lead at St. Johns. You just can't shoot duck, so deer should be fine.

Strange, yeah, but whatever....
sbr01
hunter

Postby BMowatt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:22 pm

Call the game warden. It shouldn't be in your bag if you are duck hunting.
Teal & dove season overlap here inTX, we make sure there is no lead in the blind bag.
Dont risk it
BMowatt
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:33 am

BMowatt wrote:Call the game warden. It shouldn't be in your bag if you are duck hunting.
Teal & dove season overlap here inTX, we make sure there is no lead in the blind bag.
Dont risk it

Old post, but its perfectly legal in Florida to have it in your blind bag. I always carry a few rounds of buckshot just in case. Read Florida statutes... you're good.

Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:39 am

BMowatt wrote:Call the game warden. It shouldn't be in your bag if you are duck hunting.
Dont risk it

the mere possession of lead shot is not illegal under Florida law. it was at one point, but technically that law was illegal. kinda confusing. check out 790.33 and my post of firearms preemption for more details. also fac 68A for rules on migratory birds.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting