Go Devil Help

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Go Devil Help

Postby cary00silve » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:08 am

Jay and I were out hunting night before last, and were having motor issues. We would run WOT, and after about 2 minutes the motor would stumble. If we pumped the prime bulb on the fuel line, the motor would get more fuel and the problem would go away. I figured the fuel filter must be clogged, so I took it out and blew through it backwards and a ton of junk came out. Yesterday we bought a new filter before we headed out, and once we got running on the lake we had the same problem. My next guess was the fuel pump. The motor is a 25hp kohler, and has the mechanical fuel pump built into the valve cover. I removed the pump this morning, and it creates suction at the inlet, but I'm not sure if it pulls as much as a new pump. I then decided to check for water and crud in the float bowl. There were a couple drops of water in the bottom, but not near enough to cause any trouble. The only other thing I can think of is replacing the hose because there are some wear spots where it could possibly be sucking in some air. Does anyone have any other thoughts on what to check? The carb in general looked pretty clean, and I couldn't see any clogs in the holes I checked.
cary00silve
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:17 am

I had the same thing along time ago with an outboard. There was something wrong with the pickup tube inside the tank. Changed the tank and I never had the problem again.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby cary00silve » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:25 am

Forgot to mention that I already tried switching tanks and it didn't help.
cary00silve
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:03 am

Fuel pump, bad fuel hose/fittings, etc or trash in the carb jets
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting