1st goose hunt, REALLY LONG!!....I warned you....

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

1st goose hunt, REALLY LONG!!....I warned you....

Postby caleb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:20 pm

As many of you know I have been having some bad luck latley.

Well,

IT CONTINUES!!!!

200 miles into trip to north GA(600 miles total) we blow a trailer tire. On 75 in the rain with no where to pull off. Luckily I aired up the spare before we left. The F-250 lug wrench is a little larger than a trailer lug, but I made it work. Off again, we get there(supposed to be an 8 hour drive, we made it in 12!)at 5am. Pass out cold from working all day and driving all night. The next morning we are supposed to hook up with the local guy whose been scouting the lake for me. Nope....never calls us back. So we go to the lake and are going to look around ourselves(ducks, geese cant be that different right?) Everything looks the same and there isn’t a bird in sight.

Finally 1/2 hour before dark he calls me. He gave me directions to the place where the birds are and says he’s busy and cant hunt. So we go to the "lower" portion of the lake. Its to late to launch and look around and tomorrow was opening day. Luckily there were some locals at the ramp just getting done fishing. I put on my best north ga accent and asked where all the geese were. One of the guys told us right were to go and informed us he duck hunts as well. So I asked is there any mallards up here during the regular season. And he replies..."o' hell yes, We run that bass boat up on plane and flush em up out of the coves and shoot the S#I@ out of em!" :huh:

So Jamie(JDUB)and I decided to get there early and motor out to the one spot the local told us about to see what would happen, we were sure we could find it in the dark.

Saturday day one...
We find the spot set up and wait. 4 hours later not a bird in the sky. So I said, were going to scout today and try and find em and set up on them tomorrow, lets motor around and just look. We found them alright, About 650 of them on the south side of the lake. We chose a spot that looked perfect and decided to set up on them. About an hour into the set up, groups of 20 - 50 were coming in and landing about 100 yards from us. After a while they all started to swim our direction. We had 7 or 8 swimming within range when some idiot in a john boat comes hauling butt into the cove and flushes the birds and then proceeds to FIRE AT THEM WHILE UNDER POWER!! He then sees us standing there waving our arms and comes over to us. His exact word were, "I guess that’s about as bad as it gets guys" "what can I do to make it right?" :mad: :mad: :mad: I told him just go the hell away. Then he tried to give us tips on how to hunt the lake. :eek: :mad:

We set up for an evening hunt to watch and see where they leave the lake to roost. They came out at 7pm from the river and lined up like planes on a run way and took off group by group over the dike and out of site. It was amazing to watch.

Sunday, day two...
We get there early and the handle is on my motor is broken!!!! not the drive handle the one you pull the motor up with. Anyway, you don’t need it run the motor so off we went. We motor out to our spot which is now 40 feet into the dry land!!!! They lowered the water lever by about 5 feet during the night. So now our great looking spot with all the cover in the world is now 40 feet up the bank. So we picked the next best spot we could find in the dark and set up. We stuck out like a sore thumb, but we had no where else to go and all the cover was on dry land now. After a couple hours the geese started to pile into the lake. The first big group came in about 60 yards from us and I turned them with my call they came right to us and didn’t like what they saw and were gone to the middle of the lake. This happened with all of em. The worse part is every single goose flew 20 feet over the spot we were supposed to be in if the water hadn’t been lowered by the dam(dam as in water dam)people. We would have had a heck of a shoot. But that’s okay, I saw some of the neatest scenery I have ever hunted in and got to see close to 1000 geese in two days.

Monday, day 3
I got a great tip from a local about where on the river to hunt and it was confirmed by a few others as well. Unfortunately the water level was so low we couldn’t get to the river. So we didn’t even go out. We saw one mallard and one teal as well. We loaded up and left for FL. We stopped in Tifton to eat and realized that one bag of goose decoys was gone! 6 full body floaters!! 100$ somewhere on I-75!

So,
1-tire
1-idiot in a Jon boat shooting geese under power
1-closed dam
1-broken motor handle
1-bag of decoys gone
All this = no geese in the boat, two frustrated hunters, But one hell of a trip.

Well be back...

--cjc--

I told you it was long......
Last edited by caleb on Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caleb
State Moderator

Postby caleb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:43 pm

Broken Tire...

Broken handle

Broken handles hole

What 6 goose decoys look like in my garage not on I-75 somewhere in GA.
caleb
State Moderator

Postby BigBend » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:26 pm

you wanna go next weekend? :rofl:

naw man, i hoped your going to have some honker pics. that sucks bad
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby kg4yus » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:42 am

Damnit Man,

Remind me to carry my good luck charms if we ever hunt together.

YOu know they say a trip or two to the "quarter's" will change your luck
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:14 am

That is a long run of bad luck. Lets hope teal season goes a little better for you.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby caleb » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:57 am

Talked to KP @ PD and hes sending me a new handle free of charge. What a great guy, since the beggining of my PD issues hes been the most helpfull person in the world. Even being the 2nd owner of the motor he still treats me like im the first. Cant say enough about PD's customer service!!
caleb
State Moderator

Postby Jdub » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:17 pm

snipeshooter wrote:That is a long run of bad luck. Lets hope teal season goes a little better for you.

Can't get much worse :rofl:
Jdub
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:56 pm

I would not say that, there is always the break down in the dark on the water along ways from the boat ramp. :help:
snipeshooter
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting