Northwest FL Hunters!

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Re: Northwest FL Hunters!

Postby Quakklz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:35 pm

Seeing loads of divers in these pics. No Mallards? I am a northerner most likely moving down that way. Is this the majority of what you all see? Any decent goose season to speak of?
Quakklz
hunter

Postby dogyak » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:39 am

Quakklz wrote:Seeing loads of divers in these pics. No Mallards? I am a northerner most likely moving down that way. Is this the majority of what you all see? Any decent goose season to speak of?
They have a good mix of different ducks in the area . But , you will have too do your homework :biggrin: . This young man has a great woody hole as you can see . Anyway , welcome too Florida .
dogyak
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:07 am

Quakklz wrote:Seeing loads of divers in these pics. No Mallards? I am a northerner most likely moving down that way. Is this the majority of what you all see? Any decent goose season to speak of?

Mallards are few and far between down here, and most of the mallards that are seen/shot aren't migrators, but released birds or their descendants. To put it into perspective for you, I've killed 21 species in the state of FL, and a mallard is not on that list. I've seen them...even had a few in the decoys prior to LST...but the stars have never aligned for me to get a fair/legal shot at one.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:56 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:

Mallards are few and far between down here, and most of the mallards that are seen/shot aren't migrators, but released birds or their descendants. To put it into perspective for you, I've killed 21 species in the state of FL, and a mallard is not on that list. I've seen them...even had a few in the decoys prior to LST...but the stars have never aligned for me to get a fair/legal shot at one.

Theres a great honey hole up in jax I love to use a all hen spread along with bread crumbs.

Only problem is figuring out a good spot for a blind, typically your suppose to rent a golf cart and drive pass these markers, "Hole 6" is usually pretty good early season but is limited on vegitation. :wink:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:21 am

We killed no mallards or geese this year but I have shot one banded Mallard that was banded in Canada and I have killed 7 banded woodies that were banded in Maryland or NC. For the temperatures that we see I think we do alright I think that we enjoy some of the best wood duck hunting in the Nation, along with great diver hunting when the weather permits. But what I love is the ability to pick up your decoys and go fishing right after you are done shooting or to drive to a peanut filed and wear out some dove after having a good morning on the water. I would rate bird hunting here as great for ducks, dove and Turkey.
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Postby uknowme62 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Only got woodies last year on the river. I am really wanting to hit the bay to get some of all those divers I see from the 331 and midbay bridge. Just wish I had a boat. Got a great walk in woodie hole though.

I'm jealous of the snow geese. I went to Stugartt last year and saw so many of them, but they were flying way too high.
uknowme62
Newb

Previous

Return to Florida Duck Hunting