long tail sps qusation

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

long tail sps qusation

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:24 pm

what is A 16 hp all ss worth very low hr in good shape.And can you resale later sps THANK YOU
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Re: long tail sps qusation

Postby NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:52 pm

1200 bucks
36 Prodrive FPR chasing a 1654 express
NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:35 am

What brand is the motor? Is it the Swamp Runner SPS kit?

I think 1200 is a little high, but I could be wrong.

Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:39 am

It is sps but has 14 hp Honda motor
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:12 pm

SWAMPMAN2 wrote:It is sps but has 14 hp Honda motor

I wouldn't buy it. Little bit high. The kit is $500 and depending how many hours the engine has on it could be the killer.

Sent from my new blue iPhone with Anti-Botiz software
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:19 am

What's the asking price swamp?
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:48 am

$13oo and It started on first pull ran good has little use on motor also has elec start
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:44 am

Swamp , I guess you didn't see my reply in the boats and motors section . That's too much for that motor , even if it's working good . I have a friend who is a swamp runner dealer name Mike . You can have that kit and motor for under a thousand brand new . Of course you have too put it together , and it's easy . I've seen your boat built pic's on here , you can do this . If you go with a predator motor , then it will be cheaper . I have the small kit with a 6.5 predator with pretty good success this pass year . So far no problems . I've talked too others that have been running the piss out of them for a couple years without problems too date . But , think the used rig is too much .
dogyak
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:04 am

350 for the HF 13HP, 500 for the medium kit. thats 850 for a brand new rig.

I acknowledge its not a Honda motor, but HF motors are good, and the warranty is awesome.

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:26 pm

Ya your essentially paying $500 above and beyond for 1 hp more, the Honda motor, and it's used. I would build my own if I were you
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:28 pm

Is it a 14 or a 16? You stated both.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Well thank you for all your help I talked to the seller today and said NO I will be looking at A new SD late next week.AND AGAIN ON THE SIDE BE SAFE HUNT A LOT TAKE A KID HUNTING
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby Ajaxian » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:13 pm

I put the 13hp HF predator on my Jon boat this season with the SPS kit... Very happy, got the Kit through a local dealer he was a stand up guy.
Ajaxian
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Gave up on long tail. Met with owner of Mangrove motors yesterday he came to my place to try out his 7 hp and 14 hp on my boat.Can not say enough about this motor.Ran it in shallow water 3in thick mud heavy cat tails and it never slow down.Only one time I ran through the cat tails and went on an island my bad.Motors are all AL and SS I was very impressed at QUALITY and DETAIL in this mud motor.when the new 9 (is ready iam going to try it out and then will buy either the 9 or 14.I was so impressed that iam building A new small boat just for the 7 it will also take the 9 but this boat will be for the guy who hunts by him self or his dog and A great boat to get skinny after those fish no one else can get back to large REDS I will send PIC soon SWAMPMAN ON THE SIDE good hunting and fishing be safe take A kid
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:26 pm

http://www.mangrovemudmotors.com/about.html

No offense dude but your CRAZY to spend the money he is asking for an untested product.

You can buy a 23 hp Dixie MM for the price of his 14 hp... and the 14 isnt even electric start???

No way in hell I would put that much money into an engine that looks like it will snap in half on the first stump I hit. Plus My 14 hp thai longtail will run just as fast and shallow. for 1/3 the price.
marshnole11
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:24 am

Dang,

Them jokers ain't cheap.

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:51 am

Not trying to start A fight just telling you my opinion and like other things every one has one.People buy what they like and spend A little money or A lot again its all in A persons opinion and you have yours.BE SAFE GOOD HUNTING TAKE A KID HUNTING
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:57 am

Wow. You can buy a copperhead for those prices.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:21 pm

SWAMPMAN2 wrote:Not trying to start A fight just telling you my opinion and like other things every one has one.People buy what they like and spend A little money or A lot again its all in A persons opinion and you have yours.BE SAFE GOOD HUNTING TAKE A KID HUNTING

Not trying to start a fight either just trying to save you from spending 3 grand for something that is no way even close to being worth it. If you ever go to sell it you'll be lucky to get half of what you paid for it after the first season.

Good luck!! :thumbsup:
marshnole11
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:28 pm

SWAMPMAN2 wrote:Not trying to start A fight just telling you my opinion and like other things every one has one.People buy what they like and spend A little money or A lot again its all in A persons opinion and you have yours.BE SAFE GOOD HUNTING TAKE A KID HUNTING

I agree with ya on that. However, I would say to take the advice into consideration. Buying what you want isn't a bad thing, but doesn't mean its a good thing.

I bought the wife a fake fireplace yesterday for the house... didn't make sense to me but its what she wanted.... says it looks nice and heats up the house.... point being that we all make dumb purchases... trying to keep you from doing the same

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:36 pm

If you are near jax, I will sell you this swamp runner kit and engine for 450. It's already assembled, and I've only ran it once to test for about 5 minutes in the St. John's. It's 200 cheaper than if you build it. I bought it from a friend who bought it and then took a job so he wasn't gonna be able to hunt.

No worries either way... Not making money off of it. It's basically brand new.

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:56 am

Have same fire place for wife and she loves it .Like I said get what you like or your wife and you both will be happy 47 years a counting I must be doing something wright. :yes: :yes: :yes:
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:56 am

Swampman, in no way am I trying to pitch another manufacturer or start a fight but having run a small HP surface drive for 3+ years, and probably harder than most, there is no way I would ever spend that much money on that motor. Period. All the small HP surface drive manufacturers that I'm aware of use aluminum and SS in their frame construction. That's nothing unique. What you're paying for with those mangrove motors are the subaru engines, which are great engines, but much more expensive than most other similar engines of other manufacturers. The hydraulic tilt is unnecessary on a setup that small and light, and that frame just isn't going to withstand the abuse a mudmotor is supposed to handle. That shaft housing is going to crack...it's just a matter of if it does it on the first log/stump/lily root, or the 10th. Also, is he using a bearing system or a bushing? The other manufacturers in that price range are running a bearing system now, and for a good reason...the bushings give out too quickly and easily. Like I said, not trying to start a fight, just wanting to prevent you from spending a lot of money on a product that appears to be inferior.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:36 am

SWAMPMAN2 wrote:Have same fire place for wife and she loves it .Like I said get what you like or your wife and you both will be happy 47 years a counting I must be doing something wright. :yes: :yes: :yes:

You win. 47 years of marriage, I should be taking advice rather than try and give it. Well done sir

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:39 pm

The Mangrove has bearings not bushings and I remember when copper head was in Lakeland FL and was the new boy in town so I just wont to give this new boy on the block the same chance. No one will know for some time how good or bad the are.I hear lots of stories about Dixie motors but I have never tried one so NO opinion from me.This site can be good or the death of some things.And cost is in the eye of the beholder.We are have A different price on what we will spend on our sport.Like A shot gun they all can shoot ducks but still some hunters have to have the latest and greatest .
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting