Waterfowl Jacket?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Waterfowl Jacket?

Postby Flduck33 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:03 am

I'm looking for a waterfowl jacket that isn't for sub zero temps and that i can wear in 60 degree weather comfortably. The only one ive seen that would work good is the sitka delta wader which is like 400$$ and that is out of the question. Any one got any suggestions? I live around Lake Okeechobee, just for example.

Thanks
Flduck33
Newb

Re: Waterfowl Jacket?

Postby Mugzwump » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:34 pm

I have the Cabelas brush buster 4 in 1 parka. It comes with this zip in liner that is great for cold sunny days and then the jacket itself is hands down the best most waterproof piece of clothing I've ever touched. It's not warm on its own, without the liner it's a very suitable jacket for 60 degrees.. maybe with just a t-shirt underneath you could go to 70 and not sweat.. its gore-tex and breathes very well. Put it all together and you can wear it down to maybe 40 degrees without much else. Only downside I have to say is the pockets are so waterproof if water finds its way in they'll stay full for days-- no joke... not fun when your ammo is in there... so keep 'em buttoned tight in a downpour and remember to check 'em before hanging it all up, nothing worse than putting a dry glove into yesterdays rain.

:beer:
Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 pm

Drake mst pullover? Or even est with a long sleeve undershirt. I can't stand to get to hot so I layer to take off.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Where are you looking? just confused as to how the Sitka jacket is the only one you can find? Where in fl do you live?

Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby SpanielBoom » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:45 pm

I can't recommend anything by name, but look at the usual waterfowl outerwear websites and read the reviews. I know (just looked) Cabela's has a "lightweight" outerwear section. I have an uninsulated shell I layer over a fleece or whatever. It works fine. Probably similar to the A.G.O. Waterfowl Rainwear Jacket I see on the Cabela's site. Also, you can call Mack's Prairie Wings and they'll know what to sell you.
SpanielBoom
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:19 pm

I know when I started hunting FL about 5-6 years ago I picked up a 3-1 jacket from Bass Pro shop. It was their Redhead brand. The outer layer jacket worked good in November/early December and the inside jacket worked good when it got chilly, but not cold cold. Put the whole jacket together and I never had an issue in FL. That jacket even kept me pretty darn warm in 2 season in VA. I know a lot of people talk crap about Redhead brand, but I have owned that jacket for I believe 6 years, hunted 5 seasons with it from the STA's in south FL to the mountains in Northern VA in February. Been in the pouring rain all day and after 6 hours in the rain is when it couldn't take anymore and I finally felt a little damp. Awesome jacket, and I only paid $140 for it. And I am still hunting it. :lol3:
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Cabelas makes some great jackets for the money. We have several of the 4-in-1 jackets in my house...I recommend the parkas over the wading jackets.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:45 am

I have a Cabeala 3/1 and I don't hardly use the liner. I layer with a sweatshirt. Only thing I don't like about the jacket is that the outer liner doesn't have an elastic waste or draw string or anything.

It's the waxed jacket.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting