PIGEONS for gundog training?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

PIGEONS for gundog training?

Postby Congareelabs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Hello,

I recently moved to northeast florida around the Jacksonville area and was wondering if anyone knew where to get Live pigeons for training? In sc i had a place I could go buy them for a few bucks a pop but im clueless around here. Thanks in advance for the help

Jeff
Congareelabs
Newb

Re: PIGEONS for gundog training?

Postby waterdogds » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Congareelabs wrote:Hello,

I recently moved to northeast florida around the Jacksonville area and was wondering if anyone knew where to get Live pigeons for training? In sc i had a place I could go buy them for a few bucks a pop but im clueless around here. Thanks in advance for the help

Jeff

I found a couple at a pet store locally in Tallahassee. Don't tell the store owners what you're intended use is. You will most likely get the same appalled look I got. Apparently they look down on this method of training. :no:

That's where I would start looking, a pet store. A retriever club may also have a source. Good luck and welcome. :welcome:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby SpanielBoom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:01 pm

I don't train with pigeons, but there are always quail on craigslist. If that's a fair substitute, they usually go for $4. I kill some and vacuum pack them so they don't dry rot. Also, contact local pros (there are tons) and ask them if you're set on pigeons.

I've also seen some at the flea market.
SpanielBoom
hunter

Postby dogyak » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Is this the Jeff who moved to Yulee . If so , I tried to help you last year with a hook-up with birds . Not being unfriendly here , cause I love retriever training and will help . But , we have a local club and don't want someone to come in just to grab our stock . If you want to train with others and help each other , then you can get pigeons , ducks , quail , and churkars with a local breeder . I've have hooked up with people on the site and helped them with their dogs and gotten birds for them . We just had a hunt test that was only 30 min's away from you last weekend . The advise about going to the local feed stores and asking is spot on , they don't like to sell to someone who will use them for dog training and being shot .You could go out at nite to the overpass's with a fish net and light and catch some .
dogyak
hunter

Postby jedisme » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Ask them for their culls alot of people raise homing pigeons. Underpasses usually hold a few flashlight long net at about dusk.
jedisme
hunter

Postby Ajaxian » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Try a flea market, When I first got my dog I went to the flea market in Tally and bought some price was high and I told him what they were going to be used for and he cut me a deal. They don't seem to care at the flear market. I shot some and wing clipped some others to use over and over.
Ajaxian
hunter

Postby BMowatt » Thu May 08, 2014 1:32 pm

Get a trap, go to an overpass that has pigeons, bait with corn, you will have plenty
BMowatt
hunter

Postby SpanielBoom » Fri May 09, 2014 6:44 am

I know they won't be live, but a friend of mine just told me he's been putting a dove mojo by his wife's birdfeeder and shooting doves with a pellet gun to use for training...
SpanielBoom
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri May 09, 2014 10:36 am

SpanielBoom wrote:I know they won't be live, but a friend of mine just told me he's been putting a dove mojo by his wife's birdfeeder and shooting doves with a pellet gun to use for training...
Your friend is breaking the law by shooting doves out of season and you just told the internet . There are FWC officers on this site . :oops:
dogyak
hunter

Postby SpanielBoom » Wed May 21, 2014 6:50 am

Nope. He only does it during dove season.
SpanielBoom
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed May 21, 2014 7:21 am

SpanielBoom wrote:Nope. He only does it during dove season.

Still can't shoot with over bait with a rifle.......
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby dogyak » Wed May 21, 2014 11:35 am

So on May 9th , you made the statement about your friend shooting doves over bait with a rifle and expect us now to believe he just does that during dove season for training birds , really dude . We aren't that stupid and besides , as Whaknsak said it's still against the law which I guess you might want to follow up on the rules . Second , doves are a poor choice for training young gundogs . If I was you , I would be a little worry about Mr Green Jeans asking some questions .
dogyak
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting