New Season is coming... birds in Central FL?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

New Season is coming... birds in Central FL?

Postby glenndownen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:00 am

Hey Everybody.. New person to the board here..

Also somewhat new to FL, but been hunting ducks all my life. Anyone on here hunt in the Central FL area? Last year I got a few birds on the St Johns and Lake Jessup. Been scouting out some new places for the upcoming season and wondering if anyone else is seeing anything going on out there..

Glenn
:salude:
glenndownen
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:48 am

Not yet. I've seen a few woodies here and there, but no teals yet. As usual, I've been seeing mottleds EVERYWHERE over here in Melbourne/Palm Bay.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby glenndownen » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:00 am

Hi Evil_McNasty

Do you ever hunt the area around the end of fellsmere grade road? I have been meaning to check that place out and have heard some good stuff from out there.
glenndownen
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:08 am

Uuuuuuuhhhh, I don't know what you're talking about............ :mrgreen:

You mean TM Goodwin? Damn skippy. I've been hitting that place for a while now, and the hunting can be pretty freakin good. When season rolls around, if you'd like, I can get you in on a unit with us, and show you the layout, etc. I'm always looking for more peeps to hunt with, since none of my friends can keep up with my level of motivation for hunting.

Early season is usually weak here, but by November's, it's getting good. December, better. January, best.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby glenndownen » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:56 pm

I tried once last season to call and get a reservation for TM Goodwin and could never get through, got frustrated and then never really checked it out. (hunted other places instead) There is Broadmore out there too isnt there?

How is the marsh area around TM Goodwin and Broadmore? I have a great duck boat (mudbuddy with blind) and have been meaning to scout out that area just to do a little exploring in the next few weeks.

I would def be interested in meeting up for some duck shootin out there. That would be great..

I have the same problem sometimes, my buds decide they have to stay home with their wives or do some sort of project, or its too early... what is wrong with these people???? there are ducks to chase out there... :thumbsup:
glenndownen
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:38 pm

It's tough to get in, escpecially if you're calling long distance. It is also tough to know which units are good, unless you've been hunting it a bit. Broadmoor is really the same as Goodwin. You still call in, check in etc. through the same means.

The area around it is good, but you really need an airboat to access it. Got a winch on the front of your boat? That could get you over the levees. I am about to order a new Gator Trax myself. What exactly do you have? I think I'll go with a tunel hull.....not sure.

Anyway, we'll link up for sure. Got any deeks? We mostly use bw and gw teal, ringneck, and hen mallard decoys. Good part is that calling actually works out here. Back home it didn't. It was all woodies and redheads. Now I live on the St. Johns and can run out any day of the week, even before work. I'm getting pretty excited about this season.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby glenndownen » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:03 pm

I have a flat bottom model gator trax with a 27hp mudbuddy longtail. Its a sweet boat with dual gunboxes and full storage under the front deck. (I can fit most all my dekes in the deck) I also have a fast grass blind for it. I love the boat, but am interested in switching out the motor for one of those new surface drive mudbuddy's. I test drove one and it pushed the boat at near twice the speed as my current longtail. Gotta save some bucks for that though. What kind of motor have you been looking at?

As for dekes, I have two or three dozen teal and mallards. Also about 2 dozen goldeneye and buffleheads and some goose floaters (no good here I know, I have hunted a lot in other areas of the country)

Where is home? I have hunted a lot on the west coast and up north, this will just be my second season here in FL, but I am fired up for it... in the meantime I'll catch a few fish and chase some gators.. :thumbsup:
glenndownen
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:29 am

Been looking at a 17x44 or 18x44 gator trax with a 35 Hyper Drive. Yes the surface runners are so much better. And that's definitely what I'll be getting, but I'm trying to figure out how to set up the boat. Do you like the dual gun boxes versus a crossways bench etc?

Sweet. And those buffles and goldens will do well in the Indian River.

I grew up in the Destin, FL area. Then lived in Tallahassee for a while. Tallahassee was all woodies, and the coast was all redheads. We'll see if we can't get this season to be better for you. :thumbsup:
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby glenndownen » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:44 am

Hi Evil_McNasty

That should be a great boat that you are getting! I do like having the dual gun boxes as opposed to a bench. I like the middle of the boat to be open and free to easily walk around, and the storage space in the gun boxes is great. I use the boat for fishing and alligator hunting also. My gatortrax is the more wide version (cant remember exactly how wide, but sigificantly more than 44) There used to be a picture of my boat on the gator trax site, not sure if it is there anymore or not.

I also like that new Hyper Sport drive motor. I knew that they would eventually come out with a motor that has neutral. I think they copied the beavertail setup.

Have you been working with one of the mudbuddy distributors? WHen are you planning on getting the boat?

Glenn
glenndownen
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:01 am

Yeah it makes more sense to have the middle open for gear and walking. I may have to get a seat base installed for peeps riding with me. I've been wanting to try some gator hunting, but don't know much about it. You might have to come off of some info for me :salude: I got the home base for some serious gator chasing if you wanna go. Plus a walk in cooler.

I think the other width is 54. These are just the widths of the running surface. I think the 44 is 63 at the beams, and the 54 is like 70 something. Been reading on the size versus performance ratio, and haven't made up my mind fully. I do like speed, too many years of running Gambler bass boats.

Yeah I've been talking to a guy here in Melbourne, it doesn't look like I'll save much $ by ordering directly. Maybe taxes on the motor by ordering over the phone. I'm planning on ordering in the next week or two. Need to try and beat the rush. The dealer guy here has one, but it's got features I don't want, and it's missing some that I do want. So I'll have to order I guess. Got any suggestions?

Steve
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby glenndownen » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:37 am

You can get seat bases installed in the boat really easily, my boat has 7 of them I think. Yeah then mine is the 54 inch bottom for sure and I know that the width at the beams is around 70 or more. Mine is a 2003 model, but I got bought it on ebay actually. Turns out some guy bought the whole setup (exactly what I wanted- except the hyper) and then didnt use it much and his wife made him sell it. He even gave me an extra shotgun, a few bags of decoys, and a bunch of other stuff to go with it. Great deal for me. I do wish the boat could do a little more in the speed department, but that is something that I can improve once I save some more money - it averages 14-18 MPH depending on load and such.

Another thing that I like about my particular boat is that it its own compartments for the gas tank and the two batteries (with a crossover switch thing) its just nice to be able to keep everything organized away and dry like that. It also has cigarette plug in recepticles in the front and back (great for plugging your spotlights in for gator hunting) The guy that bought my boat new had it custom built the way that he wanted from gator trax. Just sortof lucky for me that he set it up the same way that I would have.

As far as gator hunting goes, I am all up for that. I am fairly new to it also but I have all the equipment. Tags are up for sale on a first come first serve basis starting next wednesday at 10am. Each tag allows a person two gators. At this point, I am still a little uncertain as to which area I am going to attempt to get a tag in. I would like to get out and do a little exploring some more this weekend and check out the south end of poinsette and the st johns from there to lake winder. That is all wma in there and i have heard that there are a lot of hogs in there too.

just fyi you can reach me off of here at glenndownen@hotmail.com

Glenn
glenndownen
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:56 am

I would love to come across an ebay deal like that. If you put a 35 Hyper on it, you'd prolly hit 30mph. But it still sounds like you have a really sweet rig. I need to take a look at that thing. I haven't seen one of the wider (Gator Trax) hulls up close.

I guess I'll put together a list of the items I want to put into storage on the boat. And that'll give me an idea of how many boxes (and what shape) I'll need to order on the boat. Also thinking of the hitch up front. And definitely a trolling motor mount.

Anyway, I'll be out of town this weekend. Flying out to Vegas this afternoon. :thumbsup: So early next week I'll take a look into the gator permits. I got an application for them last year, but didn't feel like paying the 200+ dollars for something I was clueless on, and I don't have an airboat. I'm the only person in my neighborhood who doesn't. But my neighbor got a 13 footer. I saw it myself....monster! I've run from my house to winder in my bass boat in about.......20 minutes I guess. I would love to pop a hog. I lost all my hog meat in the last hurricane's power outage.

Anyway, my global email is "evil_mcnasty69@hotmail.com". We are going to have to get something going here. Between the new boat and my deer lease in GA I am about to have an aneurism of excitement. Later, steve
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Looking to learn the St. Johns

Postby Dead Ringer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:19 pm

Sounds like you two are the ones to talk to about hunting the St. Johns. I just moved to Melbourne to attend FIT for grad school and have no idea where to begin up here. I've hunted the IRL several times, and had mild success with the bluebills on the Banana river. Sadly, their numbers are down and we can only shoot 2 a day. I'm looking to head out to the St. Johns, and would love any suggestions on where to begin. I've got 5 dozen ringer dekes and access to 5 dozen more. I'm off 192 and 95, as a reference. Thanks.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:58 am

Glenn and I linked up and hunted Goodwin last saturday. We saw only a half dozen or so teal. Most were flying with mottleds so it was hard to line up a shot. I knocked one down but he landed in some extremely thick grass and we couldn't find him. Not a very spectacular early season.

The regular season will be good as usual this year, from all indications. Last year was really good. And don't worry about the bluebills, the IR will be covered up in them in January. The St Johns can be tricky, you need to do a lot of runing to find them. Big and Little Sawgrass can produce, and you can get a regular boat/outboard in there. What kind of boat do you have? That would dictate a lot as far as the SJs is concerned.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:26 am

We (my father and I) run a 14ft john, and are planning on buying a 23 mud buddy hyperdrive this weekend. I also have an 18ft open-fisherman that I use for hunting on the IRL for safety's sake. The shame is that even when the bluebills show up, as always, we can only shoot 2 a day this season. As a biologist, I'm not complaining because it's for a reason, just dissapointed because it makes those trips less tempting. Speaking of the IRL, have you ever hunted or heard of anyone hunting Pine Island on southern Merritt Island? I read online the other day that there are quota permits available for waterfowling, but wondered if it is worth it. Anyway, thanks for the advice, and hopefully whistling wings will startle us all in a few months...
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:17 am

You getting that motor from Lamar? He's a good guy. And that 23 is a work horse.

I have heard somebody mention that very same thing about Pine Island. But it seems they didn' think it was worth the hassle or something. I was prolly listening with half an ear though. I've never looked into it myself though so I can't really give a decent answer.

As far as the 2 bluebills we'll just have to hope some other species show up. We do get some cans and reds here.

Yep, less than than 2 months to go. :thumbsup:
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:29 pm

Yeah, I stopped by Lamar's last week and he was honest in letting me know that a 23 hyper would rip the transom off my current jon. He's got a 15ft coming in this week and we're hoping to strap the hyper on that and go. We'll hold onto the old jon and outboard so that a few more buddies can hunt with us this season and then sell it after January.
I spoke with a fellow grad student that does some work for Ecologicaly Endandered Lands in Brevard and she said that Pine Island only has a few birds and even more gators; so it's no place to wade into.
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:20 pm

Did you end up getting a boat/motor from Lamar?
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:44 pm

Picked it up on Saturday. Its a 1544 G3 with the 23 Hyperdrive. I have done all the electrical riggingand most of the outfitting. All that is left to do is the blind, camo paint job, and seating. I'm headed to sea for a week and hope to finish it up when I return just in time for scouting weekend.
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:42 am

That's gonna be a nice hunting rig that should go just about anywhere you want to take it. I'm going scouting on Saturday. A bit early, but I gotta get out and do something.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Lamar??

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:11 pm

Hey Guys,

I live in Oviedo on the east side of Orlando. I am from Okeechobee and new to Duck Hunting in Central Florida. I am excited about the St. Johns it is about 15-20 minutes from the house. I am looking for a boat and a mud buddy and I was wondering if Lamar sells boats and motors?

Right now I am using a kayak it is great but I want to take my 4 year old son and it makes me a bit nervous just him in I out their hunting in it.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:41 am

Yeah I read some of your other posts about boats.

Lamar sells Gator Trax, War Eagle, and others. He also sells whatever boats he gets in on trade. I bought a 17x44 Gator Trax with a 29 Hyperdrive. It's a hell of a boat. And it goes pretty freakin fast.

If you find a boat and just need a motor, or if you need service on a used one you buy, he can help you. PM me and I will give you his phone number. I don't want to put it on here. Oh yeah, he's here in Melbourne btw. Right near I-95. if you want to look at (or ride) a Gator Trax, let me know.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:44 am

I would recomend Lamar if you are looking for a rig. He was very helpful and made sure that I ended up with the set-up that was right for me, nothing more, nothing less. By the way, he doesn't sell outboards, but that's ok because a mud motor or airboat is the only way to get around these marshes.
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:02 am

Was anyone on here running around on Lake Washington last saturday?
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:04 pm

Boat had never even seen the water.....

...Only 40 minutes from our hunting destination, BANG! Got rear ended, totaled the boat and trailer. Luckily the motor was dodged. The guy may not even have insurance coverage! Talk about a bad turn of events...
:thumbsdown:
Dead Ringer
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting