New Season is coming... birds in Central FL?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:54 am

Dude that sucks.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:04 pm

There's good news and bad news.

Bad news. The boat is trashed.
Good news. We haven't sold our old outboard rig yet.
Bad news. Lake O is clogged up with hurricane debris and the outboard
can't even make it down Moore Haven Canal.

End result, we have been offered a good deal on a new Triton 1648, so we'll get that and hope the insurance comes through.

As much as it sucks that we lost the boat, after all the rigging was done, I'm glad it was there to absorb the impact or the situation might be a lot worse.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:06 pm

Finally got the Mud Buddy in the water and man am I impressed. We ran about 18-20mph with three guys, 90 dekes, guns, and all of the other crap we drag along. With nothing in the boat but two guys, we ran 22-24mph. What really got me was when we took it off the trail and were able to maintain 16-19 mph through lilly pads, hydrilla, stick grass, and even sparse bullrush. The only limitations we encountered were dense bullrush and the islands blocking up the Moore Haven canal. Even then, it wasn't a matter of the motor not pushing water but rather that the boat was high and dry. After getting 200yds deep in the bullrush, we turned it around, hopped on a plane, and shot right back out.
The hurricanes have dumped so much water that the Big O is flooded all over. There were some birds, but they were spread out. Since we missed out on scouting, the first few hunts were very slow. Finally tracked them down by Monday morning, just in time to head home and slide into class. Have heard many good reports from the Everglades, and look forward to finally being able to hunt that area properly with the new motor. Will make the decision between spending the weekend at the lake or in the glades after friday morning's hunt in the glades. Hope everyone else is dropping them fast up here.
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:43 am

We saw quite a few birds along the St Johns. Lots of ringers. Shot some teal as usual. Got a really nice looking drake gwt that I'm going to get mounted.

Good to hear the boat/motor are tearing up the green. These things are some real salad shooters. Got stuck once over the weekend, it was on a mud bar covered in about 1 inch of water. And like an idiot, I hit it going really slow. Once I pushed off, and came back around to go back over it fast..........easy sailing.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:05 am

Shot the Everglades this weekend. Friday morning it sounded like a war was going on out there, but we were about a mile from the action and only got two shots, two birds. Saturday afternoon we tried a new trail and scouted out for the next morning as afternoons are typically slow in the Glades. Sunday morning was what we had been looking for since opening day. We shot 15 ringers and easily should have had our three man limit, but we had a handful of dud shells, missed shots, and sneaky birds. Was glad to finally get into some real shooting and see our huge decoy spread (80-90) finally work. We'll be working on the boat during the closed weekend, and back up to Lake O for the re-opening. Glad to hear that you got into the birds too and hope to get in at least one hunt on the St. Johns later this season. I think a St. John's morning / Banana River afternoon hunt is in order. My fishing buddy saw over 5000 bluebill on the Banana and was blown away; I told him "What's new"...
Dead Ringer
hunter

Previous

Return to Florida Duck Hunting