Duck Hunting Forum banner

Dog Dilemma

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  duckhunter48 
#1 ·
I lost my 8 year old chocolate lab in July to a snake bite. I swore I wouldn't get another dog but, after hunting this year without one, I have decided to get another. I have been talking to Tommy at Ace's Retrievers in Mississippi and have decided to get a started dog. I just don't have the time anymore to put into training a dog from scratch.

He has both male and females that will be available in July as started dogs. Please give me some input on male vs. female. I have only had males in the past.

#4 ·
Hi , I just wanted to chime in on this . I've looked at the web page , and I'm not impress . I've heard of them , and to be honest , some not so good . Pro's have different opinions on what a dog should do as a started retriever . Most will be CC (collar condition ) , OB (obedience will be top notch ) , FF (Force fetch ) , Gun trained , birds ( many retrievers of dead and live flyers ) , single retrieve's both land and water out to 100 yds . Their level 3 started dogs aren't IFW their web site .
I've have major concerned when a breeder advertise white labs . AKC and UKC don't recongnize this color ( Papers will only say Black , yellow , and choc ) . The UKC has already instructed judges to DQ any dog that doesn't meet the standards . It's a undersirable recessive trait where they are putting undue emphasis on color in the breeding while giving less important to important factors such as performance , health ,struture , etc .
The other problem here is , they listed their dogs as CKC paper . If it's Continental kennel club - thats a bs club . You can find a fullbred unpaper dog on the street and send a picture and fees , they'll give you a reg no matter if the dog has health defects . Better off getting from a backyard breeder . Canadian kennel club is reputable , but he said his dogs are imported from Ireland , so they wouldn't have that one if so .
None of his sire and dam have any titles listed , other than from overseas . IMO , all pro's I know and trained with will run their dogs in hunt tests (Both AKC and UKC ) and FT's . That shows all client's that their's dogs have strong genetic's that are being bred into the bloodlines .
To be honest , why don't you go to Retrieving training . net web , they always have started dogs for sell . That site is or was run by Chris Atkins , one of the best pro's in the country . He don't like bs trainers passing off bad product .
I will say , not a pro , but I've have trained them for hunting . I've trained them for friends . I've title dogs all the way to HRCH ( Hunting Retriever Champion ) , that's a finished dog . Hunt-chess who is a Mod on here also will tell you the same thing if he happens to see this .
Just trying to give you some insight that this isn't a good idea . They seem to be passing the WILDROSE WAY and getting people to drink the tea . Some of the Bri dogs work out , but most are bench ( SHOWDOGS) . Most of these dogs washout in their training . Yes , you will have a family dog , but that hunting dog , maybe not .

#5 ·
Sorry for the loss of your dog. That is hard to take and get over.

I second what Dogyak said.

You should have a retriever for a long time so take the time to ask around and for labs, you can find multiple choices for a great pup. I'm afraid you get what you pay for, so buyer beware.

Another very good trainer is Stephen Durrence of Taylor Farm Kennels (http://www.taylorfarmkennels.com). He recently had a litter that was sired by his Grand Hunting Retriever Champion (GRCH). I don't know if he has any pups left. If not, he probably would know who does and he could train him to whatever level you desire.

Good luck!

#6 ·
very new to owning and training a dog...

But I know of yaks background and his knowledge, I too would side with what he has to say. At the very least, take it in and research a little more.

good luck!

#9 ·
jakefromflorida said:

But I know of yaks background and his knowledge, I too would side with what he has to say. At the very least, take it in and research a little more.

good luck!
I second this. From my time on this forum and others I know that for most questions related to dog training, yak is the man with answers. Remember in most cases you get what you pay for. Do your research. Best of luck in year search for mans best friend and hunting partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
FSUDuck said:
jakefromflorida said:

good luck!
I second this. From my time on this forum and others I know that for most questions related to dog training, yak is the man with answers. Remember in most cases you get what you pay for. Do your research. Best of luck in year search for mans best friend and hunting partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks guys . I really trying my best to lead the right way . @ CPOplayer- Andy (AKA Maysport) gave you Stephen Durrence name . One of the best in the game , super nice guy in Georgia . He's won the super retriever series on ESPN many times . He would throw you the right way to a started level dog sir , or know of where to find one . I respect him alot ,even with him being younger than me , I've learn some things from him . Good luck sir .

#14 ·
That dog above is 11 months old . He's cc , ff , gun trained , been on countless birds ( live and dead ) and ready to hunt doing singles on water and land . A well bred pup would cost you at least 800 plus med expense on shots and etc . Here , this dog is ready to go at 2000 . Ace level 3 started dog is nowhere near this dog . These guys have a good rep .
There're are many good started dogs out there , not telling you you should buy this one , just giving an example .

#15 ·
cpoplayer said:
tmclaimerFL said:
Corrected...my apologies to all for my lapse in correct spelling.
None needed. I'm just nit picky.

#17 ·
I got a female because she was the smallest of the litter i bought from. I did not want a 80lb lab running around in my boat as the boats i use are often small. seems to me males usually have a little more drive, but my dog has always been just excited to hunt as any others ive seen. I think the male/female choice would mostly just be on size. Also, unless you get the female fixed, you are gunna have to deal with her being in heat every 6 months or so once she reaches a year or two old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.