Duck Hunting Forum banner

German short haired pointers

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  FULLCHOKEFOWL 
#1 ·
Hey guys just wanted your thoughts and opinions on using a GSP for My new retriever since my lab died a couple season ago and I haven't had the heart to get another dog since. I see it's been Done quite a bit and I figure Florida would be one of the better places to do it because we're not in a harsh climate. So what's yalls input on the subject

#3 ·
I can remark on this . I will start off that I train retrievers for friends and myself . Also run them in retriever games . Your question about a GSP , yes that can do the work . I've even seen them pass a season level test in the UKC retriever game for titles . That would be a dog that's steady on shot on a double ( 2 birds fall ) . Dog marks both and sent for the go bird , then the memory bird . There will be a poison bird involved ( a bird that is shot while the dog is returning to you , the dog cannot pull a switch ) all birds have to deliver to hand . Marks will fall anywhere to 50 to 100 yd's on the marking portion . Then your dog has to run 1 blind ( A bird your dog didn't see go down ) . The dog has to be handle to the bird with whistle and hand casting signals . That right there is a hunting retriever , and I've seen the GSP's do this .
With that said , they aren't the best swimmers though , and will never beable to be a finished retriever because of them not swimming so well . Oh , the above I explained above , is done on land and water . The GSP don't take will well to cold water , but we are in Florida , you will be alright here IMO . I have a friend in SC , he use's his early season , and his lab for later . The lab does all the blinds . Good luck !

#5 ·
My GSP swims circles around most peoples labs.

They can do everything a lab can do. They are problem solvers and very trainable if you don't go to heavy on them. Mine works off of hand commands, I can cast him in any direction and he will retrieve blind.

Plus they will hunt every other thing you can think of on land.

They are one of only two dozen breeds of dogs that can be listed as " versatile " gun dogs (mine points/retrieves/flushes/blood tracks/scent tracks)

They typically do not have the health problems that labs do. But they are very high strung and need physical outlets because of their high anxiousness. They are great with kids, and are probably the best family dogs I've ever been around. They are super smart... very very smart.

In the end it all depends on what you want... do you want a hard core kick ass hunting machine that can do it all?

or do you want strictly a hunting retriever/hunt test dog?

#6 ·
marshnole11 said:
My GSP swims circles around most peoples labs.

They can do everything a lab can do. They are problem solvers and very trainable if you don't go to heavy on them. Mine works off of hand commands, I can cast him in any direction and he will retrieve blind.

Plus they will hunt every other thing you can think of on land.

They are one of only two dozen breeds of dogs that can be listed as " versatile " gun dogs (mine points/retrieves/flushes/blood tracks/scent tracks)

They typically do not have the health problems that labs do. But they are very high strung and need physical outlets because of their high anxiousness. They are great with kids, and are probably the best family dogs I've ever been around. They are super smart... very very smart.

In the end it all depends on what you want... do you want a hard core kick ass hunting machine that can do it all?

or do you want strictly a hunting retriever/hunt test dog?
You know , did anyone bash a GSP here , didn't see it . So marshnole , how long have you've been training gundogs may I ask . It wasn't very humble bashing a lab for one . Two , all hunting breeds have health issues if you buy from the wrong breeding sir . Lab's are just as versatile , and just to let you know in the pointing performance event , they've let the pointing lab in 5 yr's ago , and some of those outperform some of the better know pointing breeds . They both have their weakness and strengths , and one is better than the other in different solutions . I know gundogs , and their are people on this very site that can verify this .
The OP needs to look at his options , and pick the dog that will fit his needs . For the record , he wasn't asking about buying a general backyard breeder dog . He was buying a Dog with a great pedigree with parents that had all health clearances ( OFA hips , elbows , knees , eyes , EIC clear , with a 26 month guarantee . If he's only hunting Florida , a GSP could be his go to dog for waterfowl with quails has a bonus . If he's making trips in hard cold conditions , or flooded timber with long swims that has to bust thru thick brush and etc . It's a Chess or Lab . If heavy waterfowl , light upland - retriever , if heavy upland , light waterfowl - GSP , or Brittany , or even a Drahthaar , and let's not forget a pudelpoiter . :eek: Oh , just to let you know , that bitch of my is as kick ass hard core hunting machine as pointers and other great gundogs .

#7 ·
Lol...... Ho Lee chit someone got a little butthurt.

To answer your question I've been training hunting dogs for 17 years.

No offense but I would buy a standard poodle to use as a retriever before I would buy a lab.

But if you are concerned about cold weather then a GWP/DH or WPG will do just fine..... And if you are noT into upland and ducks are your only game just get the tried and true 4 x 4 machine of retrieving... The Chessie

#8 ·
marshnole11 said:
Lol...... Ho Lee chit someone got a little butthurt.

To answer your question I've been training hunting dogs for 17 years.
Lmao! I'll say.. Dude is softer than church music when someone challenges his expertise on dogs. He got in a pissing contest with Freddy King on Facebook a couple months ago and Freddy politely put his ass in check in front of a crap load of people. Embarrassing.

btw - ny son has a gsp and it's a retrieving machine and it swims very well too. If you want a gsp then by all means, get what you want. Duck hunting isn't anything like field trial crap. Unless you duck hunt with a bunch of old ladies and yuppies who don't know what end of the duck call to blow, then I guess you wouldn't know the difference.
also, If you're going to train it yourself, watch the Freddy King's free videos on YouTube.
Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

#9 ·
I was going to leave this alone , but after seeing this , don't think so . So at Marshnole , I didn't bash any breed of gundog as you did . I simply gave him something to think about to where and how most of his hunting would take place . I looked thru all your post since being a member , for someone whom trained dogs for 17 yrs . When ever someone asked about getting any help , you've never once tried to help , :huh: , someone with that much experience . The only post you've had about a dog , was a GSP you found lost a year or 2 ago . So I'll leave it at that .
@ BaitsandBullets , No buddy put me in check , I don't respond to stupid . Some people just don't get it , and your one sir .

#10 ·
dogyak said:
I looked thru all your post since being a member , for someone whom trained dogs for 17 yrs . When ever someone asked about getting any help , you've never once tried to help , :huh: , someone with that much experience . The only post you've had about a dog , was a GSP you found lost a year or 2 ago
Jeezus Christ... I'm getting Internet message board stalked.

#12 ·
I use a border collie. Best little retriever you'll ever see.....problem is, I lose him to the cows out at St. Johns sometimes.

You ever see a dog herding cows in the meadow at day break, you'll know who he belongs to. Don't worry though, he's got a chip.

#13 ·
marshnole11 said:
Internet message board trainerprofessorexpertscientistknowitall doesn't mean anything.
I'm serious...I laughed my butt off when I read "Jeezus Christ... I'm getting Internet message board stalked'!
Nice call in your last post too Marshnole11. Being a trainerprofessorexpertscientistknowitall doesn't mean squat. Unless it's all you've got?.. Pathetic. smh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.