Panama City area Duck Hunting

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Panama City area Duck Hunting

Postby CraigC37 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi all

I moved to Panama City two years ago and would love to get into duck hunting the area this year. I hunted Venice LA for 6 years and I miss the heck out of it. The last 2 winters I've said I would look into hunting around the Panama City area and this winter I will make myself go for it.

I live in Panama City and last weekend I went to Dear Point lake and up the river on my boat and it looked like a great place to hunt. I have a few questions:

1. What ducks come around here?
2. Are there any leases on Dear Point Lake?
3. Do a lot of people hunt it?

Anyone looking for a hunting buddy this winter I'm game! I've got all the gear and boat with most likely the wrong kind of decoys. I'm in the process of working with my new Lab not sure if he will be ready by winter!

Thanks in advance for any info!

Craig
CraigC37
Newb

Postby mgoldschmidt » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:00 pm

:welcome:
to the forum

on of our mods will direct you....
he is or has been up in that neck of the woods
forum traffic is picking up, so its just a matter of time
DU/UW/Delta Waterfowl Central FL Chairman
Certified Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Hog Trapper
Mossy Oak/SDO/Bullseye Adventures Pro Staff
mgoldschmidt
hunter

Re:

Postby BULL SPRIG GT » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:56 pm

Glad to have you in the area. I am a Panama City native and live right next to the lake. I hunt it regularly. Here's the short response to your questions:

1. Most ducks on the lake are ringnecks and wood ducks. You'll get some other stray birds from time to time but ringers and woodies are the most consistent species. The bay/saltwater hunts mostly consist of redheads, buffleheads, etc. Again, you can get some other stray birds from time to time.
2. Private duck leases are few and far between in our area. I only know of one good duck lease personally but it is not in the immediate area of the lake. The Tallahassee folks have more duck leases I believe. The available hunting acreage surrounding PC is pretty much dedicated to deer hunting leases.
3. Yes, a lot of people hunt the lake. It gets crowded especially in the early season and on opening day. Lots of skybusters and the usual yahoos who set up on top of you at sunrise. I believe the saltwater gets less pressure.

I already hunt with several guys but am sure I'll have some room in the blind this year. I've got all the gear so shoot me a PM if your interested. If you PM me I can also share more details about the area.
BULL SPRIG GT
hunter

Postby cut'em all » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Welcome to the Chaos. Another PC native here, Bull Sprig covered most of the lowdown on deerpoint, but I will add that you might really want to watch the dog cause DP has LOTS of big gators. I killed one over 12' last year and am gonna start whacking some more come this weekend. Be Careful on the north end the stumps do not give, they are hard as concrete. Hey Bull Sprig where you live, I live off Resota Beach, just figured I'd know ya.
cut'em all
hunter

Postby CraigC37 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:40 am

Hey guys

Thanks for the reply. I figured a lot of people hunt it, it's the same thing in Venice LA, opening weekend is packed and then gets less pressure as the weeks go by. I've been going in the Lake a lot lately and notice the gators and read about them, I wasn't planning on taking my dog but thanks for the tip.

I will try and make a few hunts this year. Hopefully we can chat more when we get closer to the season.

Have a great day.

Craig
CraigC37
Newb

Postby nwfl07 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:23 pm

I also hunt the lake quite a bit. I hunt with a few friends and have some gear as well minus the boat. If you need someone to go I'm game just let me know when. I'll holler at you as it gets closer to season.

Cut'em we pm'd a few times last year and I forgot to get up with you. I seen you arguing with russ up in kliens. I deleted your pm with your number but maybe we can get together this year.

If any of you guys want to trade some dove hunts for a few duck hunts let me know I have two fields and just added onto another.
nwfl07
hunter

Live in PC also...

Postby Noleball » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:50 am

I started duck hunting last year with little direction and have enjoyed it none-the-less. I have hunted on both Bear Creek and in the bay a number of times and have managed to kill a few birds though not many. The Lake set-up seems to be working better than the bay set-up and i am always ready for some advice both ways.

I hunt out of a 12' Boston Whaler and haveroom for one more as i usually hunt by myself. I have a couple of bags of decoys and would be glad to hunt with someone else as well.

Definately have to watch the stumps up in the creek... $300 worth of damage o the ouboard this last season.
Noleball
hunter

Re: Live in PC also...

Postby mgoldschmidt » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:56 am

:welcome:

Noleball wrote:. $300 worth of damage o the ouboard this last season.

ouch.
DU/UW/Delta Waterfowl Central FL Chairman
Certified Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Hog Trapper
Mossy Oak/SDO/Bullseye Adventures Pro Staff
mgoldschmidt
hunter

Thanks

Postby Noleball » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:55 am

Visited the site daily for most of last season and just now decided to post. To any of the guys in the Panama City area, send me a message and we will go. I would really like to go with some one on the bay so i may learn a little but if someone wants to go with me, that is good too. I have all but quit deer hunting (in Florida) to take up duck hunting. It is cheaper and much more fun than sitting in a tree.
Noleball
hunter

Postby ROTCDuckHunter » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:17 am

I'm a college senior and ROTC cadet up here in Washington, but for the 2009 duck season I'm going to be stationed at Tyndall AFB for training. I know up here it's totally possible to sit next to a little pond with a gun and a pair of waders and come home with a Mallard, a Pintail, a Widgeon, Green Wing Teal, and a Scaup from the same pond, all without decoys or calls. However I have no idea how or where to hunt in Florida, and I will probably only be taking my gun and waders with me because I have to be able to move everything I own across the country. Are there any local public land areas where a guy on the weekend can get away from base for a little while and just shoot a couple ducks without needing a boat and decoys? I know it's a little early but I'd hate to miss out on a duck season just because I don't know the area.
ROTCDuckHunter
hunter

Postby BULL SPRIG GT » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:30 am

ROTCDuckHunter,
I hate to say it but I doubt you will have much success around here with no boat and no decoys. Tyndall AFB is about 20 minutes away from me. There are some public areas that have decent birds from time to time, but you have to scout and work at it. It won't be like the hunting you mentioned in your post. PM me when the '09 season rolls around and I can share some info or may have some room in the boat. :thumbsup:
BULL SPRIG GT
hunter

Postby allnighter » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:08 pm

I think if your in armed forces your can hunt the base land around there. I have hear that there are a lot of deer and hogs in there, but there mite be some duck in there.
allnighter
hunter

Postby ROTCDuckHunter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:40 am

I guess no more sitting by a pond for an hour or two and coming back with a couple of ducks on the weekends. It will be nice however to not have to break an inch of solid ice off of every body of water at 0400 though. Kudos to be said for that. It's been suggested that I don't even take my hunting gear to Tyndall as I'm only going to be there 9 months, but I can't stand the thought of not getting a chance to hunt at least once. I'll certainly be checking out the hunting opportunities on base, I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for your help, and I'll be certainly be getting in touch as the season gets closer next year!!!
ROTCDuckHunter
hunter

Re: Panama City area Duck Hunting

Postby badger2545 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey Yall I am moving to panama city in Oct of this year. I am looking for some advice on where to go and what kind of set up and decoys to use any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
badger2545
Newb

Postby quackhunter99 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:21 am

badger2545 wrote:Hey Yall I am moving to panama city in Oct of this year. I am looking for some advice on where to go and what kind of set up and decoys to use any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lol. This should be good
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 am

badger2545 wrote:Hey Yall I am moving to panama city in Oct of this year. I am looking for some advice on where to go and what kind of set up and decoys to use any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Hey badger, you looking for general areas that hold a lot of birds or are you more interested in some more specific areas? I got some GPS coordinates I could throw at you, get you started off on the right foot.
You pay for you!

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:53 am

I hunt the Choctawhatchee River WMA up around I-10 and have several large beaver ponds that we kill Woodies and Ring necks in along with the occasional greenwing teal and mallard. I am looking to go bay hunting and would love to swap out hunts this coming season.I also have tons of ag fields and can trade top notch dove hunts also.
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:38 am

Hey Joe and Justin,

Who's down for some public land green heads? I know where some are near panama city. Lets make a trip first phase.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:34 am

whaknstak wrote:Hey Joe and Justin,

Who's down for some public land green heads? I know where some are near panama city. Lets make a trip first phase.

Does it involve sliced bread and trespassing?
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 am

I'm not really sure but I know they're in some beaver ponds in the wma. I read about it on the internet. We can hit Google earth and not even have to actually go there until opening day.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:21 am

whaknstak wrote:I'm not really sure but I know they're in some beaver ponds in the wma. I read about it on the internet. We can hit Google earth and not even have to actually go there until opening day.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:30 am

Yeah mitchell sounds good. hey I also read somewhere that a bunch if redheads really pile up in some ponds around a wma called La Vela? We should check it out, apparently the water is pretty contaminated though, cause some guy got a rash all over his body just from touching it when he was picking up decoys, weird...
You pay for you!

Postby whaknstak » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:33 pm

FlaWoodie wrote:Yeah mitchell sounds good. hey I also read somewhere that a bunch if redheads really pile up in some ponds around a wma called La Vela? We should check it out, apparently the water is pretty contaminated though, cause some guy got a rash all over his body just from touching it when he was picking up decoys, weird...

Hahaha!

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting