Duck Hunting Forum banner

Need a mentor / hunting partner

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  sbr01 
#1 ·
I posted this in another forum and so far got crickets so I'll throw it this way.

I realize this is potentially taboo because of spot stealing and so on but I'm runnin' out of ideas and as season is getting close I'm getting frustrated at the thought that I might just miss out on another year.

I could use some pointers from you guys on how to team up with somebody to watch and learn.

I'm mostly green and trying to get into duck hunting but I'd really like to go a time or two with somebody with some stripes and see how it's done, and maybe just have a mentor that could help me along the way. I'd even be willing to travel if it helped you feel your spot stayed secure.

Thought I had someone lined up but I that outing will be a scratch. I've had a couple guys say "Oh sure, I'll let you know" but never heard from them again.

I know I could just take my little jon out there, do a piss poor job brushing it, blow heinous noise out of my calls, skyblast and probably flare everything in site from 2 miles away while I learn but I'd rather not piss off everyone within a 10 mile radius and I'd rather learn to do it right and respect the sport.

I have 2 girls, 5 and 8, that I'd love to bring in to this some day and I'm interested in carving decoys and waterfowl taxidermy down the line, essentially trying to make a lifestyle out of this, but I'm having a hard time finding someone to take me under their wing so to speak for a short spell so I could get my feet under me.

As for where I'm at now, I'm mostly geared up. I have a couple sets of waders, my gun, calls (need to practice), my jon and little 6.5 longtail motor on it. I have no decoys, never brushed a boat or laid out decoys, never called in ducks and to date have not bagged one either. I'm a DU member, looking to become a UW-F member as soon as I can. I'll probably miss more ducks than I'll hit, I have gatorphobia that I'll have to get past, and I'll probably make some rookie mistakes. I don't know how to scout a good spot, having never done it and not knowing what to look for, and the whole STA and WMA lottery system and rules and regulations appear to me to be a jumbled mass of hieroglyphic bureaucratic red tape.

I'm not a pasty yuppie, I grew up running around outdoors and still spend as much time there as I can in the "winter". I've taken wilderness survival instruction from a SERE instructor, climbed a 10k summit in California (lake sabrina to blue lake), and slept outside on nothing but pine needles while mosquitos used me to refuel like a helo-base, so I wont scream like a Victorias Secret model that put on 4 ounces if I get mud and bugs on me.

If anybody is willing to help out I'm itching to learn and get out there, I'm willing to trade a couple vintage packs of mostly non chewed Bazooka Joe bubble gum, an old Darth Vader action figure without a light sabre and missing one leg, and one or two high-fives, right or left handed, trainers choice.

In all serious, I appreciate any help.

See less See more
#3 ·
You sound like you got a good head on your shoulders. As for as hunting opportunities, myfwc.com is a great place to start with lots of resources for waterfowl hunting. Permits cover Probably less than 1% of the land we can hunt. So it's not like your shut out.

The DU page has tons of articles on exactly what your wanting to learn. Yes there will be starting curve somewhat.

I first started alone in a canoe. By my 10th solo hunt I met some guy, now my main hunting partner for the past 4 seasons. Through him I've met a couple other guys we hunt with and I also bumped into someone at a ramp 2 years ago that has turned into a good friend I have also gone turkey and deer hunting with. Getting out and about is always the best way to start IMO.

Best advice I can give you that I learned the hard way is to not waste money on calls, make sure you sit still and can't be seen(like from above and actually hidden). I'll just hammer that point home again, get hidden. Imagine you walking down the street and there's a guy with a gun just standing on the corner.....you would probably not walk past him, ducks aren't a whole lot different, but you might be able to kill the dumb ones, which makes hunting harder in the future. Get a few decoys and throw a couple at the edge around 30 yards. Anything that comes inside, shoot it. Leave the rest until you get comfortable.

I'm still using a canoe solo, and am the invited on the boat. So I don't really have a spot for you. I thought the same as you when I first started but if you are as interested as it sounds, you won't have a problem finding hunting buddies in the marsh. Guys are more willing to help the struggling hunter and give him a chance, than a guy who is just waiting to be taken out and refuses to try it themselves.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Also, not saying you did in your post, but your first question to someone shouldn't be asking about where they hunt. That's like asking a girl "how much?"[emoji23]

I meet someone for the first time and within 30 seconds they want to know where I hunt. Happens all the time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
FSUDuck said:
Where are you located? I'm interested in the action figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome lol. I thought the chewed bubble gum and action figure would get traction. I'm a little west of Orlando.

Reel Teal said:
I first started alone in a canoe. By my 10th solo hunt I met some guy, now my main hunting partner for the past 4 seasons. Through him I've met a couple other guys we hunt with and I also bumped into someone at a ramp 2 years ago that has turned into a good friend I have also gone turkey and deer hunting with. Getting out and about is always the best way to start IMO.

Best advice I can give you that I learned the hard way is to not waste money on calls, make sure you sit still and can't be seen(like from above and actually hidden). I'll just hammer that point home again, get hidden. Imagine you walking down the street and there's a guy with a gun just standing on the corner.....you would probably not walk past him, ducks aren't a whole lot different, but you might be able to kill the dumb ones, which makes hunting harder in the future. Get a few decoys and throw a couple at the edge around 30 yards. Anything that comes inside, shoot it. Leave the rest until you get comfortable.
Thanks Reel Teal, this definitely helps. I have another acquaintance that's probably on the same level as me and I was thinking if nothing else pans out he and I will just get out there and work our way through it. I just didn't want to put anybody off once we were out there. I'm going to work on the blind structure for my boat and get some decoys before season opens and we'll just get after it.

Reel Teal said:
Also, not saying you did in your post, but your first question to someone shouldn't be asking about where they hunt. That's like asking a girl "how much?"
lol, yeah I know. I hated even asking, I cried a little bit afterwards and then walked through Bass Pro with a "I begged for a spot in a duck blind" T-shirt. They dunked me in sardine juice and threw me in the fish tank for 5 minutes and sent me on my way with a warning.

#7 ·
I really appreciate it. Port Orange is only about an hour and a half from me so that's definitely do-able. Weekends work for me too because I work Monday to Friday as well.

Let me know the time and the place and what you want me to bring and I'm game.

I can load that 12' jon with the 6.5 mudmotor up too if you want.

Um, but I don't really have the action figure.

#9 ·
FSUDuck said:
I'm located in Port Orange. I'll take you out sometime. Have to be a weekend cause I work Monday - Friday. I can give you some pointers of areas as well, not that I'm an expert.

Really , your in Port Orange . I come down there alot , should be there sometime in Aug . Should meet up for lunch or something . You know Shelby Creech

#10 ·
dogyak said:
FSUDuck said:
I'm located in Port Orange. I'll take you out sometime. Have to be a weekend cause I work Monday - Friday. I can give you some pointers of areas as well, not that I'm an expert.

Really , your in Port Orange . I come down there alot , should be there sometime in Aug . Should meet up for lunch or something . You know Shelby Creech
Yep. We should definitely do lunch.

#11 ·
FSUDuck said:
dogyak said:
FSUDuck said:

Yep. We should definitely do lunch.

Cool , we'll make that happen .

#12 ·
I was in the same spot 3 years ago. one forum members on here helped me put the puzzle together. I went to his house and had a beer. We went over how I hunted. I showed him pictures and explained how I was going about shooting ducks. he showed me what I was doing wrong, but then he explained to me what I was doing right. From there I just kept reading and watching videos. you have boat and long tail then your way further then I was when I was trying to start. Biggest thing is going to be scouting, Scouting and more scouting. Cant shoot birds if you don't know where they are. Next is hide; hide; hide! Loved the gun reference from another member earlier in this post. Birds will flare in a heart beat if they see you moving or sticking out like a sore thumbs. As far as decoys go coots, teal and divers or what I like. Just use what's in the area your hunting. As for as sky blasting. Put a decoy out at furthest point you feel Comfortable shooting and if its outside that decoy don't shoot. (lets just say 40 yards at max) And if they or flying over and you cant make out what the bird is don't shoot. Teach your self patience in the blind. If you do find someone one here to take you that's awesome but if not you seem like you can get the job done! just don't get discouraged. :beer:

#13 ·
Hunting ain't all about killing. Just get out there and fail. You'll either quit or learn. It's really that simple. A lot of knuckle heads out there try to over complicate it. Scout your local waters find birds and hunt them ethically aka don't sky-bust. I've been burnt so I generally don't trust people but you may find someone that is more trusting out there. Good luck and remember have fun and don't over complicate it.

#14 ·
Just a quick update. Managed to get out a couple times so far this season, hopefully getting back out Saturday and Sunday.

Boy, just getting out there offered a ton of lessons. For one, I found out what each and every pain in the rear is in regards to to my boat. Since those two trips I've added LEDs, built a full blind that hides the boat and motor, and built on tie-offs using paracord and carabiners for securing the boat to the trees. I also got my hands on some G3 wet deck to make the deck easier on my knees.

Found out this was so true too:

Teach your self patience in the blind
Didn't realize how hard it would be to freeze and not go twitchy when the ducks start their passes.

All in all it's been a good learning experience this year. I see why scouting is so important so that's definitely on the books for next year, along with working on my calls.

It was all good advice, particularly this:

Just get out there and fail. You'll either quit or learn.

#16 ·
HikerJim said:
Just a quick update. Managed to get out a couple times so far this season, hopefully getting back out Saturday and Sunday.

Boy, just getting out there offered a ton of lessons. For one, I found out what each and every pain in the rear is in regards to to my boat. Since those two trips I've added LEDs, built a full blind that hides the boat and motor, and built on tie-offs using paracord and carabiners for securing the boat to the trees. I also got my hands on some G3 wet deck to make the deck easier on my knees.

Found out this was so true too:

Teach your self patience in the blind
Didn't realize how hard it would be to freeze and not go twitchy when the ducks start their passes.

All in all it's been a good learning experience this year. I see why scouting is so important so that's definitely on the books for next year, along with working on my calls.

It was all good advice, particularly this:

Just get out there and fail. You'll either quit or learn.
If need some help or have any questions pm me ill try to help you out. I'm in the new smyrna/ port orange area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#17 ·
What city are you in?
I'm in Minneola. Right on the Clermont city lines. If you know where the Citrus Tower is I'm right behind it.

If need some help or have any questions pm me ill try to help you out. I'm in the new smyrna/ port orange area
Absolutely, will do.

The big things I've learned in the 3 times I've been this year are:

1. Practice skeet shooting
2. Practice my calling
3. Get ready to scout next year
4. Work on my boat

Oh, and... get a trailer :D

#18 ·
I can help with a couple items there. Teneroc has 10 stations for shooting clays. It's a drive, so there may be something closer to you, but I like Teneroc.

Improve calling- hell. Just throw the call away. One less thing to do on the list, you don't need a call in FL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.