Duck Hunting Forum banner

New to Central Florida

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  sbr01 
#1 ·
So I am pretty new to duck hunting and I live in the north Tampa area and am willing to drive an hour and a half to find birds. I am not asking for spots but i was wondering what i should look for when scouting and an idea of where to start. I have been looking around in the inverness area but a lot of the land is WMA and only allows hunting a few days of the season. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

#2 ·
Anything with public access is pretty much free game. Get into an area you think looks good and watch birds starting at first light for an hour or so. If you don't see anything flying it ain't worth hunting. It's hard to say what to look for because I've seen areas that are super ducky devoid of ducks and areas where you wouldn't expect them loaded so you just gotta look HARD!!!!!!

#7 ·
spartan26 said:
So I am pretty new to duck hunting and I live in the north Tampa area and am willing to drive an hour and a half to find birds. I am not asking for spots but i was wondering what i should look for when scouting and an idea of where to start. I have been looking around in the inverness area but a lot of the land is WMA and only allows hunting a few days of the season. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
Stay home. If you are setting a limit on how far you are willing to go, this is not the right hobby for you. Pick up crocheting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Don't get discouraged first. 2nd Look for food / nesting location, types of ducks you observe flying anytime in your area, direction of flight travel, and time of day. Location to hunt will be mostly devoid of people or hard for most boats to get too. Coast may be best option for distance you want to travel. Perhaps north of Tampa coast line. Good luck! 2016 was my first season traveled 5 miles from home an have done nicely and learned a lot.

#9 ·
chris_k said:
spartan26 said:
Thanks
Stay home. If you are setting a limit on how far you are willing to go, this is not the right hobby for you. Pick up crocheting.

You can find plenty of birds within an hour and a half of where you are. For sure the best hunting in the state is going to be 2+ hrs away. We've killed 100's of birds within 30 minutes of you but you gotta put in a lot of time scouting area if you aren't familiar with it. I started hunting 6 years ago but grew up fishing the area waters so I had a head start locating birds. Key factor is TOW get out there fail you will get better and you will find birds but it won't be easy.

#10 ·
chris_k said:
spartan26 said:
Thanks

Yea I'd love it if I only had to drive an hour and a half

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Murraymc711 said:
chris_k said:
spartan26 said:
Thanks

To be as successful as you guys for sure your probably driving hundreds of miles no need to discourage him if he only wants to drive 1.5hrs I can guarantee you there are some birds he can hunt. Can he shoot limits not likely but he can hunt. Hunting isn't killing in my book its being in the outdoors if I kill birds then cool if not Im still hunting.

#13 ·
Bswelch2 said:
Murraymc711 said:
chris_k said:
spartan26 said:
Thanks

To be as successful as you guys for sure your probably driving hundreds of miles no need to discourage him if he only wants to drive 1.5hrs I can guarantee you there are some birds he can hunt. Can he shoot limits not likely but he can hunt. Hunting isn't killing in my book its being in the outdoors if I kill birds then cool if not Im still hunting.
Im not completely limiting myself to that distance as i do also have family in Melbourne i can stay with and i know that that area is very good but i want to learn my area first. I have a flats boat and kayaks I'm assuming the boat wouldn't be able to get shallow enough for the most part?

#14 ·
Fortunately those who find ducks spend time in vehicle driving around observing breeds of ducks and in a boat early mornings glassing areas for ducks. Internet will only give you an image(idea) not information. A true hunter finds animals in his area and, seeks out to accomplish goal of attaining. Anyone can go hundreds of miles and hunt (that's called guide hunts and you pay for it). Sky busting is for clay shooters not ethical hunters. Once you know breed of duck that will help with food an nesting.

#15 ·
Dont let these miserable pricks discourage you.....send PM's and dont post unless you want keyboard warriors to bash you. You are going to have to put in time and miles when you start, everyone has. Also, dont expect too much to happen here until end dec-jan time frame. Get out early with some glass and scan...if you have a boat/kayak....find secluded areas and learn how ducks talk and habits.

#16 ·
Spending time scouting and glassing is the only reliable way to find ducks. Something else to think about is just because you find ducks this week doesn't mean they'll be there next week. I had 4 dozen Gadwalls & Shovelers located two Saturdays before thanksgiving and the Saturday before thanksgiving I was set up with layout boats and had spent the night to shoot at 5 Bluebills... So my advise is if you find a spot with ducks you need to be in there the next day or two if season is open.

#17 ·
"Dont let these miserable pricks discourage you.....send PM's and dont post unless you want keyboard warriors to bash you. You are going to have to put in time and miles when you start, everyone has. Also, dont expect too much to happen here until end dec-jan time frame. Get out early with some glass and scan"
^^^Exactly what he said ^^^^.
Also, def visit your fam in Melbourne! Get in that water near there with that yak! Be sure to pick up some teal and coot decoys for sure to start. Good luck.

#18 ·
BaitsandBullets said:
Also, def visit your fam in Melbourne! Get in that water near there with that flats boat! Good luck.
This ^^

But bring some rods, tackle bag and cooler with water and beer.

Scratch that. Send me a note, and I'll bring the cooler.....Good luck with your searching. And take a morning or afternoon trip with Capt. Billy Henderson for coastal ducks in Crystal River. You will learn a lot, and it's not that much money to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.