Duck Hunting Forum banner

Unwritten Rules

725 views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Murraymc711 
#1 ·
This threads has probably been started before. So as a waterfowlers we have quite a few unwritten rules. For example getting back to ramp the other day another duck hunter we do not know literally asks where did you shoot ducks. So I understand non-duck hunters asking this they wouldn't know. But as a waterfowler I wouldn't even ask someone I didn't know. Guess for them odds are you gonna find someone dumb enough to tell you. I can tell you though if it's the first thing you ask me we probably aren't gonna become duck hunting buddies. So what are some more unwritten rules .

#5 ·
I give up on it this year here honestly I have tried to talk with people and teach them the right way but they don't listen I watched a hole with more birds than I've seen in years all week and saw 2 other people watching it and Thursday someone let the cat out on another form and sat morning I pulled in at 4am and there was 110 boats already in honestly 110 trucks and trailers no exaggeration so I turned around and went home opening week same thing to many disrespectful people in the marsh. It's changed so much in the last 3 years I think this may be my final season hunting here I killed my first bw teal at age 4 at MI with my dad and have been addicted ever sense I chase them from ND all the way back down here and everywhere in-between and I've never witnessed anything like I have here in the state of Florida. I'd rather take a couple weeks off here save the money I spend on gas food ect. Scouting here to try and get away from these morons and go out of state for a couple days I've tried to stick it out here but these idiots win I give up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#7 ·
For all you morons in the marsh today
1. Thou shalt not shoot another man's swing - If your neighbor's working a flock that passes over your blind within range, let them go. It's common courtesy, and you never know when that neighbor's going to be built like Stone Cold Steve Austin and have a temper like Russell Crow
2. Thou shall allow ample space between thyself and others - This one's simple: Unless you're both willing to partner up, give the next guy room. And in most parts of the country, 50 yards isn't considered enough
3. Thou shalt know the effective range of thy own 'fowling piece - They're called skybusters, these pseudo-hunters who shoot at anything within eyesight, and they rank right up there with Osama bin Laden.
4. Thou shalt not blow a duck call nonstop, nor at every bird and beast - Sure, you paid $20 for it, but that doesn't mean you have to get $20 out of it every trip into the field, does it? Remember the immortal words of legendary outdoor writer Nash Buckingham: "A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is conservation's greatest asset."
5. Thou shalt set up and tear down quickly and efficiently - In other words, don't putter through the decoy spreads 5 minutes before shooting time or lolly-gag in your blocks for an hour just because you have to be back to work at 9 a.m.6. Thou shalt clean thy kill neither at the ramp nor in the parking lot - We as hunters need to realize that a lot of non-consumptive users - birdwatchers, photographers, hikers, school groups - use our nation's public areas, and that the image we leave at the ramp or in the parking lot reflects on us as a whole.
7. Thou shalt be familiar with and abide by waterfowl regulations - Another no-brainer. Ignorance, says the wildlife officer, is no excuse; however, it can come with a hefty fine.8. Thou shalt know the area boundaries, and though tempted, stay within them - This one's not only a public relations issue, but a legal one as well. If it's marked Keep Out... well, then, KEEP OUT.
9. Thou shalt leave thy temper at home - Think about it. Do you really want to get into a shouting match with a complete stranger that you know has a gun? Enough said.
10. Thou shalt work harder than most - Nowhere in the world does the old adage, "Hard work and perseverance will be rewarded," hold truer than the realm of the public-land waterfowler. Do your homework and go that extra two miles, and you may have that mallard hole to yourself.
Just a friendly reminder for all you noobs tomorrow morning!
This is a sticky I believe

#8 ·
Murraymc711 said:
I give up on it this year here honestly I have tried to talk with people and teach them the right way but they don't listen I watched a hole with more birds than I've seen in years all week and saw 2 other people watching it and Thursday someone let the cat out on another form and sat morning I pulled in at 4am and there was 110 boats already in honestly 110 trucks and trailers no exaggeration so I turned around and went home opening week same thing to many disrespectful people in the marsh. It's changed so much in the last 3 years I think this may be my final season hunting here I killed my first bw teal at age 4 at MI with my dad and have been addicted ever sense I chase them from ND all the way back down here and everywhere in-between and I've never witnessed anything like I have here in the state of Florida. I'd rather take a couple weeks off here save the money I spend on gas food ect. Scouting here to try and get away from these morons and go out of state for a couple days I've tried to stick it out here but these idiots win I give up.

Case in point I hunted Michigan and it was an absolute joy and we hunted all public land. People were around us but they all were seasoned professionals. Florida is one of the absolute worst duck hunting states not because there aren't birds just because the majority of hunters here are complete idiots. I cannot wait to move counting down the days.

#10 ·
First year to duck hunt, Native central Floridain. Hunted one public lake this year every time. I have seen approximately 5 other boats on lake each time. Talked to a few in mornings at launch and enquired so I would not set up within 300 yards of them. Talked to a few in departure about how they did, learned a lot just watching.
1. sky busting I don't care how awesome you think you are with a shotgun past 60 yards forget it go pattern your weapon
2. get to the lake an set up earlier than 15 minutes before sunrise.
3. don't motor around the lake 30 minutes after shooting if you goto go. then get up and go others may stay and hunt longer.
4. Set up in an ethical location I saw many sky busting in 3 foot high hyacinth they want find those ducks. I found some next day dead in water.
5. GOLDEN RULE "Do unto others how you would like them to do unto you"

#11 ·
Murraymc711 said:

Yes , I kind of feel the way you do . Thinking on just training my retrievers for the games really hard . I go to Texas in Nov for almost the whole month , even with some issues there , it's nothing like here at all . Next year will have a hook up in Mississippi , so I can make that a Jan hunt . Do that until I retire and move back to Texas .

#12 ·
This is what burns me, and it has happened the last 2 times I have been at this same WMA. We all line up a little early and wait for the gate to open. So instead of sitting and bull****ting, get out and get your rig ready to go. Get your boat situated, tie downs removed down to the minimum you need to put it in the water, get all your gear into your boat, etc. That way when you get to the ramp, you are not parked there for 5 minutes dicking around!!! Two times this has happened at the same WMA.

And then when you get to your spot, set up your spread, and stay there! Don't roll up to a spot, yell at the guys trolling by, then roll out 200 yards away to your buddies boat. I was even nice enough to go run over there to ask the guy where the hell he was setting up. He kept pointing over there, over there. My decoys are over there. First off you were there about 2 minutes. I didn't see any decoys. I was trying to get an idea so we could make the area work. I'm willing to work with someone if they are willing to let the birds work. I pushed on, went to my next spot and didn't have another boat within 1/2 mile or more. Next time I will not be so nice. If you roll into a spot, yell and curse at me to move on, then you move over to your buddies spot, guess what, if your decoys are out and you are not parked there, you just lost your spot buddy. :mad: :mad: :mad:

#14 ·
I was talking to my brother in the blind sat morning while we watched a group
skybusting at some woodies across the marsh that I really do believe 9 of 10 FL hunters
are skybusters and think they can shoot ducks from 150 yards away.

I don't think it's an exaggeration.

#15 ·
Coonrod said:
I was talking to my brother in the blind sat morning while we watched a group
skybusting at some woodies across the marsh that I really do believe 9 of 10 FL hunters
are skybusters and think they can shoot ducks from 150 yards away.

I don't think it's an exaggeration.
Didn't you say you were going to quit ducking hunting and take up golf again? I'm thinking this year I'll max out my PTO at work and only hunt weekdays next season.

And I can't believe how many sky busters there are. It really blows my mind that these idiots stay at it. I guess they just like waking up early to shoot their guns.

And seriously here: If any of you idiots reading this are wondering why you never shoot an actual duck, but go through a box of shells every Saturday, just PM one of us to tell you how to be successful in the blind.

I'm sure there are more of us on here that would be happy to help, versus those that would block your PMs.

#16 ·
ryano022 said:
My buddy just texted me and said hes finally caving in this year and giving up, selling his duck boat, decoys and possibly guns.....I truly hate Fl with a passion and 99.8% of the hunters here.
I don't know if I would go that far as your buddy . Just go out to Kansas or something for one hell of a hunt instead of putting up with this crap .

#18 ·
ryano022 said:
My buddy just texted me and said hes finally caving in this year and giving up, selling his duck boat, decoys and possibly guns.....I truly hate Fl with a passion and 99.8% of the hunters here.
Don't worry Ryan, Cady and I will have an extra space in our new place so you can hunt out of state. Plus and I'm gonna start a fire with this one you can hunt the best ducks, "Mallards".

#22 ·
StrawhatBogger said:
I guess it's not as bad here in Northwest Florida, I haven't had to deal with to many things like this the past three seasons. Seen a couple guys sky busting but for the most part I feel like not as many people are hunting this year.
For now. One day the ****show that is FL sough of Ocala will creep it's way up there as the peninsula completely fills up.

#26 ·
Ryan, I thought about buying a megaphone, like the battery powered one my P.E. teacher had in elementary school.

I could kind of commentate the idiots out on the lake with us. "And that flock is juuuuussst a bit up high"....."hey guy, with the duck horn- take a breath!'......late arrivals- "welcome to lake _____________. Glad you could join us. No, really, thanks for coming out!"

that kind of stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.