Duck Hunting Forum banner

Well this happened...

2K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Slack Tide 
#1 ·

Got all pi $$ed off and I figure I have 1000acr might as well do something with it so screw all you skybusting hail calling idiots I'll build my own duck lake. Finishing the dike this weekend and then it's Japanese millet time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#7 ·
I've been trying to figure out the best way to do this on my property. I already have a small pond but it's not ideal in any way. I also have a small creek that runs through my property. I was thinking about digging up around and filling my pond in some so it's not as deep and a little bigger surface area. While re-routing the creek to it to keep it at a constant level using dams. I'd have to rent and borrow some heavy equipment to do all that though and I currently have to buy a new truck soo... it'll be a while.

#8 ·
StrawhatBogger said:
I've been trying to figure out the best way to do this on my property. I already have a small pond but it's not ideal in any way. I also have a small creek that runs through my property. I was thinking about digging up around and filling my pond in some so it's not as deep and a little bigger surface area. While re-routing the creek to it to keep it at a constant level using dams. I'd have to rent and borrow some heavy equipment to do all that though and I currently have to buy a new truck soo... it'll be a while.
That's exactly to the T what my situation is Creek and all. It's going to take a couple years to get some birds on it but I have shot wood ducks and a couple teal off the original pond and I have a pair of FM that lived on it year round. There is a 100acr pond directly behind my property about a half mile with tons of birds on it so hopefully that will speed up the proses of them finding it

#9 ·
We did this a few years ago on exactly 1000 acres. You are going to love it. We had birds showup immediately. Our problem was keeping the birds on the property. Water depth is very important. It also takes a while for the vegetation to fill in. Give it a few years and you will be covered up. Especially around early teal.

#11 ·
The way I have it now is the low spot that always had water in it is about 5ft deep is packed with hydrilla it's about 1/8 the size of the impoundment I took a bob cat and one of my tractors and made the rest about 7-12in deep once flooded

#20 ·
Eorlando said:
Two dogs said:
This is the result of making your own duck pond...
Heck ya. Nice haul. Im really digging the duck boat. Haha. If you don't mind me asking how big is the price of land and how big is the impoundment? I would love to have something like that one day.
We have 1,000 acres with 6 ponds. 3 north and 3 south. Each pond is about 2-5 acres in low water (this time of year - end of season). Early in the season (early teal) water covers much of the property leaving only a few dry areas where you can drive a truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.