Duck Hunting Forum banner

MUD skipper twister report/duck hunter ideas?

7K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  MeatBuck 
#1 ·
View attachment 3
View attachment 2
Started with this boat in September 12 foot V hull Montgomrey ward boat, motor is a 6.5 clone mud skipper twister with stage 1 upgrade to 11hp boat goes about 7-8 mph. There is a lot of 3/4 inch plywood decking with trolling battery in front, will go through 12 inch tall hyacinth about 50 feet distance in 20 minutes
View attachment 1

NOVA Jon boat 12 foot 35 inch-45 inch, boat is only 90 pounds not much I can report yet accept the same motor pushes this boat with me in it at 200lbs with paddle life jacket push pole at least 20 mph on plane for sure.
Looking for anything you fellows might suggest I will need else, or I may like or you would change. I camo painted the inside of the boat as well as outside, added Walmart AAA bow and stern lights, grab bar, and PVC palmetto holders in rear and front.

#5 ·
Bswelch2 said:
How do you like the twister mud motor finally looking at getting a mud rig and was looking at them.
I would beat you senseless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
GPS speed test, not with a speed electronic device but I know the distance from the dock to the marsh is 3 miles and it only took
5 minutes on the lighter nova hull. On the heavier v-hull it would take 20 minutes. The Twister motor I have really tested on the heavier v-hull, and would say it is worth the $800 dollars for sure, but I cant wait to test on the lighter nova hull. The only thing I did find on twister is to be sure and run high test 93 octane and it works better. I have a 9.9 mercury outboard that I have used on the v-hull and I would say twister is better than that for sure. I would definitely say keep boat light as possible

#8 ·
tmclaimerFL said:
Bswelch2 said:
How do you like the twister mud motor finally looking at getting a mud rig and was looking at them.

Why? I have read up on them. Guys that own them like them. Seem to be reliable for the most part. Read some Issues with optional cav plate falling off. Biggest complaint is speed.

#10 ·
I added a shovel blade for a cavitation plate cheaper than the one they sold just welded it on the shaft. Speed is actual fact 3 miles 5 minutes. I will try an see if I can find a more accurate test. Another thing I tested this motor on is a 12 foot canoe I built a transom plate which is 7lbs and tested out. I had to pretty much sit in the front seat but I just never tried full throttle got real pucker factor fast. On the V-hull I was seriously disappointed in the speed but my smile came when I tested on the flat Jon boat had to take my hat off or it was going to blow off, unbelivable difference

#11 ·
whaknstak said:
tmclaimerFL said:
Bswelch2 said:

Why? I have read up on them. Guys that own them like them. Seem to be reliable for the most part. Read some Issues with optional cav plate falling off. Biggest complaint is speed.

Call me an SPS enthusiast if you must, but after researching on my end it seemed anything mud skipper was cheap material and not strong enough. That whole twister design just looks like a disaster waiting. Maybe I'm just crazy though.

#16 ·
Ok GPS verified test with all gear in the nova hull came to 16 mph and that was today with the cold front wind storm here, might gain another 1 mph without wind. There's another nice feature about this set up pictured below no trailer simple. I have put probably 45-50 hrs on this unit with no problems. I also posted a video of todays run on the mud-skipper twister testimonials. Added video URL below

#18 ·
It is a clone 212 with stage 1 up grades ( different cam, cooling fan, spark plug, 22 lb valve springs,) Company says its 11hp and that Manufacture rates the unit for up to 14 hp but your limited to a 3/4 inch shaft. When the engine goes I plan on milling the shaft on a 400 down from 1" to 3/4' an try a 14 hp out if unit outlast engine. I saw company is coming out this spring with a surface drive, as well as a more powerful twister. I have worked with a lot of manufacturing equipment in the farm industry and they built this pretty tough for what it is (if your thinking this is going to be equivalent or like a pro drive, gator tail , go-devil <NO NO NO) I compare to a 15 hp outboard that can run without cooling water system. I will have registeration numbers this week an can test on weeds in the NOVA hull.

#19 ·
I was getting 20+ mph with a 12 copperhead on a 14' wigeon with just me. 18ish with gear.

So does it handle more like a longtail or a mud motor?

#20 ·
Never used either before so only comparison is close to an outboard that you can pop the prop out an clean off quick, its lite tho.
If you watch the video maybe you can tell us what it looks like there's a break in video half way an I got some weeds on prop so at the end you can see I poped the prop out to clean off

#21 ·
You should put a tach and hour meter on it. Hardline makes a pretty good one that is cheaper than a tiny tach, will cost about $25 on Amazon. I bet you will be surprised at the hours your actually putting on it. Since you don't trailer it and it's so light, you could gator glide the bottom of that boat easily. It would be unstoppable and make it easier to drag if you ever got it stuck. I had a light tin can 1436 with a 6.5 mud buddy that I put through hell while in high school and college, sometimes I miss having a small light rig that is easier to hide and drag.

#22 ·
Thanks that gator glide g2 testimonials looks like an awesome product I will be doing that after watching there videos. Another thing about this twister motor is its basically a pumped up 6.5 lawn mower that's why I say it will do a great deal for what it is.
This set could take two people but I really set up so its small lite one man If I were going 2 people a lot of the time I would probably go with larger boat an motor. However for a one man system motor paint and boat I have less than $1000 invested.

#24 ·
No problems probably close to 75 hrs on it. I know they have been extremely helpful on the new 16HPSD I got from them but I have seriously abused it some, but twister no issues except I did bend one prop up enough it was out of balance so I have put it through some crap as well. Did you check key way first weakest point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.