Duck Hunting Forum banner

Comin' Back to FL

433 views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  SpinnerMan 
#1 ·
So after a fantastic trip to Manisota Key in Englewood on the West Coast, we just booked our next Florida trip to Duck Key...
I'm curious to see if Mt. Dew is as popular in this area of the Sunshine State.
Can anyone advise on what the weather generally is in February in the Keys? We stuck our toes in the Gulf in mid December and it was too cold for the kids to enjoy it and that was an hour south of Tampa on an 85 degree day.

#4 ·
Been there twice. It's awesome and probably the best in the keys I've been to.

One time we had a tropical storm and didn't do much, the other was a lobster trip. Idk how cold the water will be when you will be there but you should have a good time there. A key west trip will also be a good thing to do during the day

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
What's the inshore fishing like near there? Sadly, I get terribly sea sick...but I'd be ok for back bays etc.....not so much offshore.

#6 ·
I think your kinda in the middle but you could easily do a guide for some reef fishing or some backcountry. I've only done the offshore thing and diving down there. You don't need to go offshore to catch some fish.

I think there a place in marathon to feed snook and tarpon. You should take the kids there. I think there's a few places like that down there now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Feb will still be "cooler" and weather be hit or miss as far as temp and winds. The winter fishery is different than the summer i.e. different fish are around, however you can still bend a rod, especially if you charter a guide.

If you're seriously considering it I wouldn't wait too long as the good ones tend to book up early. I don't have any backcountry guide recommendations, but I seem to remember a couple guiding out of Hawks Cay, and the folks at Bud an Mary's know what's up.

The ENP/backcountry is a beautiful place, I'd highly recommend a trip if you can swing it.

#10 ·
Natedog57 said:
Feb will still be "cooler" and weather be hit or miss as far as temp and winds. The winter fishery is different than the summer i.e. different fish are around, however you can still bend a rod, especially if you charter a guide.

If you're seriously considering it I wouldn't wait too long as the good ones tend to book up early. I don't have any backcountry guide recommendations, but I seem to remember a couple guiding out of Hawks Cay, and the folks at Bud an Mary's know what's up.

The ENP/backcountry is a beautiful place, I'd highly recommend a trip if you can swing it.
Thank you!
What's ENP stand for?
And as for "cooler" trust me, it was 13* this morning here, a solid 70 would be more than fine with me! :thumbsup:
I just want to eat and have some cocktails and watch my kids have fun....

#12 ·
Your best bet for fishing that time of the year would be to go up to Islamorada, stop by the Lorelei Restaurant or call ahead now and ask. Thats where most the skiff guides are out of. You will probably want to ask for a recommendation for a guide with a bay boat if you have more the 3 people. You and two kids would be fine on a skiff though. They will most likely take you to the Flamingo area which is inside ENP like previously suggested and you likely will have some fantastic fishing inside the park. this time of year is great there with snook, trout, redfish, and juvi tarpon being the primary targets. Duck Key is limited for backcountry type fishing this time of year because of its location but great for fishing on the patch reefs. but if you get seasick probably not a good option as the reef still has some bump to it. If its calm would be a great time for you and the kids.

#17 ·
snookman said:
if you need any further info feel free to ask, I have spent alot of time in the keys and most of Florida fishing. where are you coming from ?
We are from Long Island NY.
My parents live in North Port which is half way between Tampa and Ft. Myers. We went to see them and really had a really good time. My wife always wanted to go to the Keys, and I've never been so what the heck!?! My friend told me that he was going and we looked into it, so, we're going.
We lucked out with good, direct flights and the place is supposed to be great. It's been a mild winter here so not that we are "escaping" much, but it'll be really good to get away with the family and relax.

#19 ·
Slack Tide said:
My wife always wanted to go to the Keys, and I've never been so what the heck!?!
Don't forget that Key West is only about 60 miles down the road from where you will be. I suspect that you and your wife will find it worth a trip since you have never been to the keys. I cannot imagine that you will not love your stay.

If I didn't need relatively easy access to a good sized airport and my wife didn't need access to quality doctors/hospitals, I think we would have looked into living down that way. I've been here almost three month and have literally been gone for 1.5 of them :eek: I was in my Illinois home a couple weeks ago, woke up to my alarm at 4AM to go hunting and until a couple moments and the grogginess passed, I didn't know where I was :lol3: I'm glad to be back in Florida and it looks like I'll be here for all but a couple weeks of my remaining 3 months. I hope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.