Duck Hunting Forum banner

Thanks FL

2K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Two dogs 
#1 ·
Prior to having kids, my travel always and ONLY included surf destinations. I've never done Europe or anything like that. Always PR, CR, Mex, Cali etc....
Since having kids (and enduring cold *** NY winters....) we've started going to Florida.
We just returned from The Keys and it was great. Landed in Miami (build the wall!) and drove to the Marathon area. Great weather, cold beer and really nice people. A friend hooked us up with a guide (pun intended) and we had a great time in the Gulf shallows for Spanish Mackerel and 'Cuda, but we probably caught 15+ species of fish. My wife and kids had a great time and we'll be back.
I'm sure you guys have your BS to deal with like everyone else.....(horrible drivers there by the way) but for us, it was great fun and can't wait to return.
Thanks for all who offered suggestions and advice.
:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Bswelch2 said:
Florida is a great state to vacation in but think long and hard before moving here.
Only if you don't like hunting, world class fishing (fresh & salt water) surfing, sailing, snorkeling, frog gigging, ridding around on airboats, mud boats, swamp buggies, waterskiing, wake boarding, 12 months of outdoor weather. The Bahamas are close, the entire Caribbean is close. I am born and raised here in Florida and never leaving the best state in the union.

#4 ·
Two dogs said:
Bswelch2 said:
Florida is a great state to vacation in but think long and hard before moving here.
Only if you don't like hunting, world class fishing (fresh & salt water) surfing, sailing, snorkeling, frog gigging, ridding around on airboats, mud boats, swamp buggies, waterskiing, wake boarding, 12 months of outdoor weather. The Bahamas are close, the entire Caribbean is close. I am born and raised here in Florida and never leaving the best state in the union.
It's great to see that you are satisfied with where you live. From my experience with Florida, it seems to be the land of the haves and the have-nots though....

#5 ·
I am not really sure how it respond to that. I was just pointing out some of the fun outdoors activities Florida has to offer. The reasons I love Florida.

I am not sure how the social hierarchy works here or if it's any different from where you live but I loved growing up here. And now I am enjoying raising my kids here. I took my 3 year old fishing yesterday with some of his buddies. How do you beat that?

#6 ·
Everyone is using a different perspective to gauge their love or hate of Florida. The duck hunting is B minus at best used to be a solid B but pressure has seriously degraded it. I'll give a few specific reasons though why Florida is not actually a great state to live in for me personally. Just saying those reasons are why I'm moving out of state. For others they may be fine with those negatives.

Extremely old population outside of Miami frustrating to drive on roads with them.

Hurricanes which leads to crazy high insurance.

It's basically an industrialized swamp unless you can afford to live on coast.

The climate is blistering hot and humid. Two seasons hot and extremely hot.

If you have kids Florida has some of the worst schools in the union.

Unless your in service or healthcare Florida is a tier 3 job market.

#7 ·
You make good points. Florida is not perfect and I am sorry you had such a bad time here. The way I see it, there is nowhere I would rather live. Sure, I sacrifice sharing the road with the elderly, poor public schools and hot weather but the tradeoff is worth it to me. You can have the snow shovels and freezing weather. I prefer shorts and a t shirt 300+ days a year.

Regarding the duck hunting, I disagree with you. It can be very good here. I will agree that the pressure has made it more difficult but you have to be able to adjust your tactics and locations. You cannot depend on doing it the same way you did 10-15 years ago.

For example, places like stick marsh and the surrounding lakes and ponds don't hunt like they used too. Once they opened up those levies and everyone could get in there it was time to look for a new spot.

The trick is once an area gets overrun you have to move on. And don't depend on limited entry hunts. There is plenty of water for everyone. I had some of the best ringer hunting of my life this past year in the glades. Then flew to Louisiana for 4 days of duck hunting back in January and we had our worst trip in 9 years of going. Ducks like fish show up and sometimes they don't. Plus certain seasons can be better than others.

To each their own and good luck with your move. I hope you enjoy wherever you are going. Btw, just curious where are you moving to?

#10 ·
I have to have the 4 seasons. I do love to get away and that's what we've been using Florida for, but for living, I love the coming and going of the seasons. My parents live in North Port (half way between Ft. Myers and Tampa) and we stayed in Manisota Key (Englewood) while there. It was great.
I hear they started flying into Punta Gorda, so that'll be a great ride when we can get into that airport.
Miami airport was nothing compared to NY airports. The ride down to the keys was pretty monotonous, but I'll do it again next year.
One thing is that NY is LOADED with great places to eat, so it's a little challenging to get what you want in FL.....

#13 ·
Two dogs said:
Bswelch2 said:
X2 :thumbsup:

#14 ·
I'm with Two Dogs on this....I love Florida. I tried to leave twice, and twice I returned. My dad, myself and my kids were all born here, and if I'm lucky I'll stay forever. It's a giant playground- fishing off both coasts, the lagoon, the rivers, lakes, hunting, parks to entertain kids, great weather (except for July-August). Schools kind of suck, but education is the kid's and parent's responsibility more than anything else. If you plop your kid down in front of the TV or device all day, it's your own fault your kid's an idiot.
There's all kinds of places to visit from Pensacola to Key West, and it's easy to find fresh seafood and cold beer. What else do you need?

#16 ·
Bswelch2 said:
sbr01 said:
What else do you need?
A state with less people?
Ha! Coming from NY, I go TO Florida because there ARE fewer people!.
Have a look at Westons Wannabe Inn.....it's on the west coasting Englewood. We had a great time and can't wait to go back.

#20 ·
Reel Teal said:
As long as you avoid the southeast corner, the place is great lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I had to fly into Miami to get down to the Keys.....good Lord. That area is not America.....

#22 ·
walnuts4x4 said:
My wife grew up around Orlando... I've been there once... I'm good staying in NY but I stay well north of 90... I prefer northern NY
Go to the west coast and you'll fit right in. Keys too.
I went to school in Rochester, my brother in Syracuse, I used to rep for a college that made me drive all over NY....lots of good stuff all over.
Horrendous winters though

#24 ·
Florida is one of the worst states to hunt, terrible deer management and deer population, no size at all. Some of the worst hunters/fisherman, if you enjoying sweating your nuts off in dec/Jan to only shoot a few ringers because there's no birds. Fishing is about the only thing good Florida has to offer but then you have to deal with all the morons fishing right on top of you. School systems are piss poor and non stop growing communities and subdivisions.

#25 ·
ryano022 said:
Florida is one of the worst states to hunt, terrible deer management and deer population, no size at all. Some of the worst hunters/fisherman, if you enjoying sweating your nuts off in dec/Jan to only shoot a few ringers because there's no birds. Fishing is about the only thing good Florida has to offer but then you have to deal with all the morons fishing right on top of you. School systems are piss poor and non stop growing communities and subdivisions.
Is that all you got??? :rolleyes:

#26 ·
boatguy said:
ryano022 said:
Is that all you got??? :rolleyes:
I know......Jeeeeees...
All that being said, I'll be back in the fall. Looking to try Boca Grande FL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.