Duck Hunting Forum banner

Prop nut

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Dep6 
#1 ·
I have a mud skipper long tail, and I need to change the shaft bearing because it just started banging around and sounds like hell. Well I'm using a 13/16th socket, and some 2x4's as a stand to hold the prop down. But the nut won't budge. I just emailed mud skipper but I'm assuming they don't work the weekends. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? Thanks....

#6 ·
I'm soaking it in oil tonight and hopefully that will break the grip on it. But it's just so damn awkward to have a stack of 2x4's so the bottom fin is odd the ground, and have another 2x4 on top of the prop with my weight in the shaft so it won't move. If the oil doesn't work it's going to have to be a 2 man job. The reason I'm taking it off isn't because the prop needs to be replaced, it's because the prop shaft is banging around in the shaft housing. I just bought this boat and motor, been out a couple times and I started it up just to make sure everything was fine on it, and it made an awful noise banging around and I could see the prop moving around the shaft while it was making that noise. So that's why I'm going with the bearing is worn out. No big deal, easy fix but the prop nut is a pain in the butt. If the oil doesn't work I'll try some heat and I'll find somebody that has an impact wrench. But I was told there was a removal tool has anybody ever use that before?

#10 ·
My buddy had the same issue about a month ago. We got to the same stage as you and eventually gave up and took it to sid at fast duck motors. He fixed her up real good. Essentially had to heat or get something real hot to get it off

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.