decoys

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

decoys

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:15 pm

I have been duck hunting on and off for about 10 years, still consider myself a novice. However, I am getting more serious. Need some decoy advice.

What type of decoys would you use in Florida (St. Johns River and North Central Florida)?

How many decoys would you use?

How would you arrange them?

Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby mrtopknight » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:34 am

I am assuming when say north central florida you mean Deland, DeLeon Springs area. If so there are useually Ring Necks out the wassu, some teal depending on time of year, and an accasional wood duck along the brush.

We use about 30 decoys (mostly Ringer drakes) 10 of which are coots, 2 woodie set away from the main spread near the bank, and sometimes a few teal in the main spread.

We set the boat along the bank cammo it and set our spread up in front of the boat to the left and to the right with a kill zone in the middle.
mrtopknight
Newb

Postby Dead Ringer » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:58 pm

Motion helps. Try rigging a few dekes through the eyes heavy weights and running a line to the boat for creating a jerk rig to imitiate diving birds. Also, to get the birds' attention from a distance, use flapping wings, alternating black and white. This can be achieved using a Mojo duck, or if you are looking to be a little more economical, try using children's pinwheels. Paint the blades in an alternating black and white pattern, drill two holes in the back of a few dekes, fill the dekes with insulation foam, and then attach the new flapping wings to the dekes. It takes a little effort, but you can create a whole flock of fluttering dekes for the price of one Mojo duck.

As for the spread, that varies with the location. Large open water, like open lakes or rivers require large spreads (6 dozen +). We use 10 dozen on the river to get the birds to turn. Marsh habitats vary with time. Early in the season, we use a large spread (6 dozen) to compete with the hundreds of other hunters. Later, once the birds wise up and the hunters fade out, we scale back to about 3 dozen birds. This keeps the birds from getting suspicious.

Best of luck.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Dead Ringer
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting