Gators on Seminole

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Gators on Seminole

Postby bcat84 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:43 am

It is important that every hunter be cautious when hunting in a big body a water like Seminole. There are definetely a large number of gators that call the lake home yet they do not and I have not heard many stories of conflicts between duck hunters and gators on Seminole. Gators do not affect the amount of wading done on Lake Seminole. Wading is very popular and I believe that there is probably an equal amount of hunters who prefer hunting from the boat and hunters who prefer wading. The main problem that will arise when hunting Seminole and its gators is dogs. Unless the temperature is at or near 40 degrees I would not suggest using your dog. Dogs seem to a favorite snack of gators. As far as humans and gators go, they are as scraed of you as you are of them.
bcat84
Colquitt County Ducks Unlimited
Georgia
bcat84
State Moderator

Postby GeorgeW2004 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:49 am

Thanks for that little piece of enlightenment. I always thought alligators were ornery and aggresive towards humans. Has there ever been an attack on a human by a gator on that lake?
GeorgeW2004
hunter

???

Postby bcat84 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:56 am

You know I have never heard of an attack on a human by a gator on Lake Seminole...I know that there has not been one while I have hunted there and I have never heard of any before then...Good Question...

When I was younger we would ski on the flint and go right by gators and they would turn the other way. I have never had one act agressive towards me and I have acted agressive towards them before and they just go under and swim away. They seem to feel uncomfortable around boats and humans.
bcat84
Colquitt County Ducks Unlimited
Georgia
bcat84
State Moderator

Postby MICAH » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:35 pm

I WAS HUNTING THERE IN '99 AND HAD A BIG GATOR AROUND 10-12FT SWIM OUT IN FRONT OF ME HE DIDN'T ACT LIKE HE CARED OR EVEN THAT HE KNEW I WAS THERE, BUT I GOT BACK IN THE BOAT AND STAYED THERE ALL WEEKEND. YOU ARE RIGHT THEY LOVE TO EAT DOGS. I HAVEN'T BEEN BACK NOT BECAUSE OF THE GATORS, BUT IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GOOD GUIDE OR WITH A GROUP THAT KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON IT IS A WASTE OF TIME. :thumbsdown:
MICAH
hunter

Postby claypigeon » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:00 pm

Ask the family of the young girl's family in Fla. after she was eaten while swimming late at nite and alone ina pond, or the old man's family in Fla. who was killed bya gator ina canal while he walked his dog. ANY predator, ANY predator, in the right situation, will attack and eat ANY smaller animal -- it is called "predatory reflex" I think. True, a boat scares them, but it would me too if I were a water animal. A friend who has fished Seminole at night and said the number of gators' eyes looked like a night sky.....I do not believe in breaking laws, ga,e or otherwise, don't believe in taking an animal's life for no reason, but if I ever get near a gator that is not diving and going away - he is one dead SOB.....think of the POTENTIAL damage it could do...I really see absolutely no place for them in today's world. GA should OPEN SEASON on 'em year-round...
" Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I will show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things. "

Lawrence "Larry" Bell
Founder, Bell Aviation
claypigeon
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting