New to boards - Gun Camo Pattern ?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

New to boards - Gun Camo Pattern ?

Postby StillWaters » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the boards here, been reading posts for a while but have ever posted. I'm originally from Florida and have lived in GA for the last 3 years and I'm looking to get into duck hunting. I'm in the market for a new gun, I want to get something that I can hunt turkey and waterfowl with and maybe shoot some clays as well (just an good all around gun). I go down to FL to hunt with my old man which would seem to lend itself more to a Realtree APG pattern but most of the waterfowl guns I see are Max 4. Any recommendations from you guys? Or I am completely over-thinking this and it's really not that big a deal? Thanks.
StillWaters
Newb

Re: New to boards - Gun Camo Pattern ?

Postby GA Quackhead » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

First off Welcome to the board. I too am a FL transplant by way of Lake Butler (Union Co.). Been up here about 10 years now.

As to the camo question, I think it is just personal preference. I personally run all black on all my shotguns and get the job done quite well. But, I am a Mossy Oak Junky, so if I were ever able to dip one it would probably be Bottomland for all around use, or Duckblind for strick wing slayin'.

:welcome:
SHR North Elk's Hershey Reloaded "Reload"
"Leave nothing for the judges to judge!"
GA Quackhead
hunter

Postby Remman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:41 pm

:welcome: to DHC, glad to have you here Sir!!
I use mossy oak shadow grass, but all camo patterns will work, and if you can find a cheaper gun with out camo, you can always have it dipped!! :thumbsup
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby StillWaters » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks for the replies. Quack, I'm from Jax originally, my dad does most of his hunting in Columbia Co., I think he does some turkey hunting in Union as well but can't recall for sure.

The replies would lead me to my next question: Is there anyone in GA that you'd recommend for getting the gun dipped?
StillWaters
Newb

Postby GA Quackhead » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:08 am

Don't know of any place in GA, but this company gets reccomended ALOT over in the shotgun forum. They have good prices and a ton of pattern options, and a quick turn-around from what I hear. http://camo-solutions.com/

I hunted alot in Union, Columbia, and Baker Co. growing up. Primarily WMA (Lake Butlter before it was bought by Plum Creek and sub-divided into leases, and Osceola NF up around Olustee.) What part of GA did you move to? I am up between Athens and Augusta, close to Clarkes Hill Resvoir.
SHR North Elk's Hershey Reloaded "Reload"
"Leave nothing for the judges to judge!"
GA Quackhead
hunter

Postby leeledger » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:27 pm

There is a long thread on this site about painting a gun yourself.
I'm halfway through with mine. It's not looking good.
It's cheap and can be done the way you want.

The ones that other people have done look nice.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36000
leeledger
hunter

Postby StillWaters » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:45 pm

GA Quackhead wrote:Don't know of any place in GA, but this company gets reccomended ALOT over in the shotgun forum. They have good prices and a ton of pattern options, and a quick turn-around from what I hear. http://camo-solutions.com/

I hunted alot in Union, Columbia, and Baker Co. growing up. Primarily WMA (Lake Butlter before it was bought by Plum Creek and sub-divided into leases, and Osceola NF up around Olustee.) What part of GA did you move to? I am up between Athens and Augusta, close to Clarkes Hill Resvoir.

That site looks good, especially all the Mossy Oak. I'm in Sandy Springs, I work up in Alpharetta. Sounds like you're a lot closer to the action than I am.
StillWaters
Newb

Postby Dep6 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:43 pm

There is also Duracoat in Columbus that dips guns in all the Mossy Oak patterns too.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Remman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Second what Dep6 said!! i have 2 guns dipped from them, sending a 3rd shortly!! :thumbsup:

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby StillWaters » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, I appreciate the help. Remman: How long does it take you to get a gun back when you semd it to Duracoat?
StillWaters
Newb

Postby Remman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Still.... it can take up to 2 weeks in the off season or a month during duck season, give them a call, they are very helpful!!! :thumbsup:

Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby caleb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:20 am

duracoat is the way to go, and welcome to DHC! :welcome:
caleb
State Moderator

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting