How is the hunting in GA

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

How is the hunting in GA

Postby jkkaywoo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:18 am

I'm not asking for spots or anything like that, I'm not trying to be that guy. I am moving from Mississippi to Atlanta for a job, and I am kind of freaking out about the hunting season. I'm a guy who hunts 90 percent of the season. While this will not be manageable this season, I am wondering what to do. I am considering getting in on a lease in Arkansas and making the drive every Friday. Or are the bird numbers high enough in the central Georgia area, where I should spend my time scouting and looking for land and saving my money from the drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm gonna need a jerk string, whistle, and three pounds of hummus!
jkkaywoo
hunter

Re: How is the hunting in GA

Postby Woodiewacker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Bird numbers arent what you are used to thats for sure...In the ATl area im not sure of the avaiable hunting areas some one else here may know.....I dont think the price of a lease and the the gas monies spent to drive to AK will be worth it if you can just drive an hour or so from home and shoot ducks....I know that the birds when they finally get here are huntable....I enjoy it but doubt youll see the flocks of mallards and geese youre used to...sorry....AND :welcome: to GA...
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby jkkaywoo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 pm

Much appreciated. I get to Georgia Friday, and I hope to get the ball rolling on scouting the next weekend. From what I have gathered from the DHC archives and the Georgia DNR site there are some places at least open to waterfowl hunters within an hours drive i.e. Lake Allatoona and Lanier. They don't seem to get much praise, but hey I just want to hunt, don't care to much about shooting limits.

Also if any one is interested in getting in some group hunts I am down for that. I got a decent amount of gear. PM or email me at jkkaywoo@olemiss.edu
jkkaywoo
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:56 am

Be sure to go to the Georgia Power Lakes website and look for restrictions hunting both those lakes. Lanier has a distance restriction as to how close to a dock you can hunt. Be sure to find all the rules on them, I live down in Middle GA and don't go up there to try them.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby jkkaywoo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks man, I found this site http://lanier.sam.usace.army.mil/hunting.htm for anyone else who may be interested. There are some others that I found earlier, but for some reason no longer can. I will try to find them and post later.
jkkaywoo
hunter

Postby djchris » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 am

Well, I don't usually hunt with "Ole Miss" folks, since I went to school at Mississippi State, however I'm willing to put that aside since you kill ducks. I live across the street from Lake Lanier and its a challenge to find spots. I've got a couple of holes that can be walked into, but those with boats can find places. If I can be of further assistance just let me know. Best of luck.
djchris
hunter

Postby jkkaywoo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:20 am

Hey Chris,
Thanks so much man, I am sure I will be sending you some PMs in the near future. I still got some friends in Mississippi and AK with leases, and I will be glad to take you with me when I go, to return the favor, or anything else I can do.
Thanks - Josh

P.S. Since we are in neutral territory we can let by gones be by gones, and dwell in what I would assume to be, a mutual hatred towards UGA.
jkkaywoo
hunter

Postby Remman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:09 pm

:welcome: to GA!! good luck this season, you will need it around here.... if you head to the coast give me a shout!! :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting