New to the Forum

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

New to the Forum

Postby R-N-T Drake » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:37 pm

I hunt Lake Oconee, Clarks Hill, Lake Seminole and many private places. I eat sleep and drink this stuff. Feel free to ask for help i'll try my best.
Work em' tight and kill em' dead... Stop SkYBUSTING!!!
R-N-T Drake
hunter

Postby clent586 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:44 pm

If you need some help hunting those private areas around Barrow Co., give me a call I am just up the road in NE Gwinnett. LOL. Nice to have a local on here.
clent586
hunter

Postby R-N-T Drake » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:52 pm

clent586 Thanks for the response. I'll keep ya' in mind for the private hunting help.
Work em' tight and kill em' dead... Stop SkYBUSTING!!!
R-N-T Drake
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:28 am

Welcome,
I hunt Seminole and farm ponds mostly back home. Gonna try to get a boat up here (in Athens) after Christmas to try out the local areas around here. Glad to have you with us.
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby UnklRico » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:19 pm

R-N-T:

Got any advice for places to hunt around lake Oconee if you don't have a boat? I checked out a couple of places at the Redlands, but only saw a couple of ducks.
UnklRico
hunter

Hunts around Lake Oconee

Postby clent586 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:24 pm

Went this morning and it was great. Thru out dekes @ 05:55 and by 06:30 they were frozen in. I was hunting around the camp area on 15 @ the river. To many folks have found out about this place. Had 5 guys come in on us near shooting hours. One of the guys sounded like he had never seen a duck call before and decided to test ride it about 75 yards from me. Another one of the guys was not having any luck with the ducks so he decided to try calling some crows, and even they were flaring. Had 2 overhead flybys, to fast. One of the before mentioned guys started skybusting on a good flock of 8-10 big ducks, at about 75 yards out from where I think he was at. He was about 100 yards from me but those birds did not want to listen to anything I was saying and were gone. So the great part of this morning was that it was cold and I got to spend some great time with my best friends son (9 yrs old) and his grandfather (67) whom literally taught me everything I know about the outdoors some 22 yrs. ago. Public land is getting rough around here for even the half way serious waterfowler.
clent586
hunter

Postby UnklRico » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:43 pm

I was at the Redlands and I feel your pain. I had a pair of mallards working in front of me, but they were like 60 yards out. Too, far for me, but they were evidently in range for the guy that was 100 yards to the left of me to take a couple of shots. It was atleast 150 yards for him. It was one of those things that you see but don't really believe. I am going to try it during the week, maybe fewer skybusters.
UnklRico
hunter

Postby gahunter » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:33 pm

Hey clent where in the world is Hoschton? I've been a GA boy my whole life and have never even heard that place mentioned. Just curious. :umm:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby UnklRico » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:52 pm

It is in Jackson county, towards 85.
UnklRico
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:51 pm

Sorry to hear about the skybusters, happens alot I am afraid.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Where is Hoschton?

Postby clent586 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:33 pm

Hoschton is in Jackson county, however, several decades ago when Gwinnett Co. had nothing better to do than let other counties annex land, my area was annexed into Hoschton City. I actually live about 12 miles from Hoschton in good old Hog Mountain. The people around here now call it Hamilton Mill because of the Country Club. It is off 85 North about 50 miles from Atlanta.
clent586
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:25 pm

Thanks for the info. I have a pretty good idea where y'all are talking about.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby strech382 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:33 pm

i live near both lakes and i would to like to know a good place to hunt. i normally go to arkansas but there's no water therefore there's no ducks. also can anyone go to Redlands and hunt ducks, and if so is it worth it.
strech382
Newb

hunting on redlands

Postby clent586 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:00 am

strech, anyone can hunt the redlands if you have a wma stamp as well as the other license. You can not hunt during firearms deer season for waterfowl, so you can not hunt again until 1/9/06 ?. lots of people have been in the swamps this year. I hunt during the week almost exclusively because my schedule at the fire department lets me, but all the places I hunt people wear out during the weekends. have seen a few big ducks earlier in the season but the last couple of weeks only woodies. maybe this will help you. there should be some good areas around colbert to hunt. i dove hunt near there every year and shoot clays at brush creek.
clent586
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting