Stringing Decoys

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Stringing Decoys

Postby labhunter » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:30 am

I have never had to rig up decoys before as I have only hunted ducks for 3 years now. I am getting decoys for Christmas, but my brother in-law let me borrow some decoys for tomorrow since my wife won't let me use them until Christmas. Do you string each individual decoy or can you group them together?
Thanks for your help
" A hungry dog hunts best."-Trevino
Labhunter
labhunter
hunter

Postby hood » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:38 am

Hey Labhunter,
I'm from Hawkinsville and this is the first year I've hunted with decoys. I string them up individually so I can really spread'em out. I am only using 6 mallards, 2 coots and I got two geese as well. I don't know much about but I think it'll work, had a couple of mallards fly in last time, which was the first time I used the dekes. I hunt at Lake Blackshear with a buddy of mine. First time out, we were back in a slew and woodies come flyin' in from everywhere. What's funny is they were trying to land in the mallard decoys, pretty crazy b/c they usually don't decoy well.
hood
hunter

Postby labhunter » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am

Hood,
I appreciate the advice. When you string them individually so does that mean you set up each decoy differently? How do you put them in groups and keep them together in groups?
Thanks for your help!
Labhunter
labhunter
hunter

Postby hood » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:56 am

In general, I don't know what I'm doing! From what I've read, there are several patterns. I spread them out in a V shape fromation, meaning I'm in the middle, letting them swing out to the sides. I kind of seperate the coots a little. I use them for confidence b/c most other hunters will have just mallards and would think that after getting shot at many times the birds get weary of that. The coots make it look more natural. I've read you put decoys out determined by the wind direction but I don't really buy that. Just make sure you're camoed up real good. I can't wait till tomorrow but I'm gonna be dead. I play in a rock band and we gotta gig tonight so I'll be getting in at 2 am and leaving again for hunting at 4 am. Best of luck.
hood
hunter

Postby labhunter » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:11 am

Thanks and good luck to you too!
Labhunter
labhunter
hunter

Postby UnklRico » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:26 pm

I string mine individually. Usually put them in groups (mallards together, woodies together, etc.) and leave a landing "hole" infront of where I am sitting. You want to try to make them land where you want them to land, which is where you can smack 'em. The most important thing is to make sure that you set up where the wind is coming from your back. They will nearly always land into the wind, so if it is at your back and your landing area is infront, the action should be on a string in your face.

If you don't have any motion dekes, think about a jerk cord to give your spread some life. You will be surprised how much motion helps. If you do have motion dekes, spinners, etc. make sure they face into the wind.

Good luck, man. Let us know how you do.
UnklRico
hunter

This past weekend

Postby labhunter » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:37 am

Well, I tell you what there was a lot of people around where we were. We got there at 5:30am and someone already beat me to where I wanted to go, but I moved down about 200yds away from him. There is a lot of coots out there though. Didn't shoot anything. My dog is going nuts b/c she wants to retreive so bad and I haven't let her loose yet, b/c I haven't had a chance to even shoot a duck for her.
Maybe, next week will be better since I have 2 weeks off since I am a teacher.
Merry Christmas!
Thanks
Labhunter
labhunter
hunter

Decent shoot last saturday!

Postby hood » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:17 pm

Fellas,
I finally got something different last saturday. Ended up with one woodie drake, male and female ringneck, and a bufflehead female. All I've ever shot was wood ducks so it was nice to get something different. I tell ya, using decoys makes a big difference. we had woodies, ringnecks, buffleheads, teal and a few mallards checkin out and trying to land in our dekes. Too bad I wasn't a better shot. Would've loved to have gotten a blue wing drake. I REALLY want one of those to get mounted. How did everyone else do?
hood
hunter

Duck Hunting

Postby labhunter » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:26 pm

Hood,
Where do you go in Perry? I am pretty familiar with Perry since I coach against Westfield.
Congrats!
Labhunter
labhunter
hunter

Postby hood » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:43 pm

I don't go around Perry. I go to Lake Blackshear in Cordele. Its pretty good but its aggrivating having to leave so early to make it there on time.
Thanks man!!
hood
hunter

Postby gahunter » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:30 pm

I finally think I know where all my ducks are going. We hunted a hole saturday morning and saw a couple hundred woodies and teal, but they were all going way down stream from us. My brother and I are going to give 'em a try in the am. I will let y'all know how it goes. :salude:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby UnklRico » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:54 pm

Good luck. Hope you guys come back with a load of ducks and bruised shoulders. :thumbsup:
UnklRico
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:48 pm

LABHUNTER,

As thick as the Alligators are on Lake Blackshear and the Flint River I would not let her out of the boat, I leave mine at home cause I don't want to feed a Gator. Be careful out there and GOOD LUCK!!
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting