Why

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Why

Postby S_GA_Boy2008 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Why is it that Georgia does not allow the taking of 1 woodduck during early season like FL? I let a bird go this past weekend cause I couldn't tell 100% what it was, yes shocker for any college guy to have any common sense right? haha :yes: Any thoughts?
S_GA_Boy2008
hunter

Re: Why

Postby Dep6 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:39 pm

Something to do about the Treaty that we are under for Migratory Birds, but it didn't make sense to me either.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby olddkguide » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:31 am

Florida's Game and Fish Commission did a study around twentyfive to thirty years ago. Birds were taken and blood samples checked for a specific parasite that is only in birds in that neck of the woods. I was involved in helping collect the birds and samples - Florida basically proved that most of the birds present this time of year are resident birds - and that is why they get to shoot woodducks this time of year.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby S_GA_Boy2008 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:23 pm

Oh ok....just wanted to ask that question because well I just didn't know. Wish they would allow us 1 though. Thanks for the answers!
S_GA_Boy2008
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:03 pm

olddkguide wrote:Florida's Game and Fish Commission did a study around twentyfive to thirty years ago. Birds were taken and blood samples checked for a specific parasite that is only in birds in that neck of the woods. I was involved in helping collect the birds and samples - Florida basically proved that most of the birds present this time of year are resident birds - and that is why they get to shoot woodducks this time of year.

As was said above, it started as an experimental season 20 something years ago. Tennessee and Kentucky also participate, so it is not just limited to Florida. Had Georgia elected to participate years ago, they would probably still be hunting wood ducks early like the others. The USFWS was going to discontinue it, but the three states pushed to continue it and they approved. Basically the study has shown two things. First, the early season has no significant impact on the population. Secondly, almost all of the birds killed during the early season were hatched and raised in the state in which they will killed, so it wasn't like they are takeing birds raised in another state like you would in the late season. I guess since it is still an "experimental" season, the other states can't get in on it now.

I have read a detail report on all of this somewhere, but I can't find it. This link, however, touches on it if you are interested.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... wl+preview
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Remman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks for the info guys, sure would be nice to take a woodie, been seeing plenty around here :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby S_GA_Boy2008 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:20 pm

Remman wrote:Thanks for the info guys, sure would be nice to take a woodie, been seeing plenty around here :thumbsup:

I hear ya. It'd just be nice for when ya take new folks that never been to atleast go find em a woodie to shoot. Guess I won't be taking newbies during early season :fingerpt: Thanks for that link also!
S_GA_Boy2008
hunter

Postby PLP » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:41 pm

Remman wrote:Thanks for the info guys, sure would be nice to take a woodie, been seeing plenty around here :thumbsup:

You mean we can't?..Been seeing alot of dead ones... :huh: I let some teal get by me(not that I coulda hit em anyways..lol)because I couldn't ID them until it was too late..Alot of guys get trigger happy..
PLP
hunter

Postby GeorgiaDuckBuster » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:38 pm

It just builds some antisipation for a nice cold morning when you hear that whine followed by some blistering flapping wings then BOOM.
"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." - Theodore Roosevelt
"Support Ducks Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl, without them we wouldn't have waterfowl to hunt." - Myself
GeorgiaDuckBuster
hunter

Postby S_GA_Boy2008 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:39 pm

I hear ya PLP on the identification aspect. All I know is I wish this weather we had today was here a couple weeks ago instead of sweatin' my ACE off!
S_GA_Boy2008
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting