dont shoot low birds

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

dont shoot low birds

Postby po'boy_outfitter » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:09 am

well i took a pellit in the lip to day from some guy from savanaha and all he had to say was im sorry *** it was a young guy shooting at a bird that was way to low and for starters he set up about 25 yrds away and shot me and my buddy but i got the worst of it so now im going to get the damn pellet out my lip these young guys need some training in how to set up and how to shoot and what to shoot
po'boy_outfitter
hunter

Re: dont shoot low birds

Postby Dep6 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:53 am

You need to have gotten his name and called DNR. Hope it don't hurt too much!
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby woods33 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:44 am

First of all I will apoligize for the guy shooting the low bird and you. It is completley unacceptable and it should never happen and there are no excuses.The guy had only been duck hunting a couple of times and today was the first day he bagged a bird. Still no excuse. But for you to proclaim that the guy who shot you was 25 yards away is crazy. If he would have shot you at 25 yards there would be alot more damage than a pellet in the lip. We were setup over 100 yards away leaning more along the lines of 125 yards. Again he is very sorry and said so i dont know what more you would have him do. Thankyou for keeping the facts straight next time. Hope your lip heels soon.
woods33
Newb

Postby SkyPeeler » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Yeah I was also there this morning... We got there at 5am and there was already 15 trucks in there so my buddy and I elected to stay out of the war zone and watch from a distance, It was nice to see all the teal being blasted upon it was even nicer to watch a flock of 7 pintails fly over me and into the war zone but as you can expect with these type of hunters the pinneys didn't make it out!! MAYBE SOME PEOPLE SHOULD LEARN TO IDENTIFY WHAT THEY ARE SHOOTING AT... :no:
(( SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS ))
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby Remman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:35 pm

Pintails??? The problem down here right now is not enough huntable area, and way to many hunters... I have watched from the side lines, and heard about a lot of peppering in the last 3 weeks. Glad its almost over, but I don't think it will get better in Nov.

Sorry to hear you got shoot, and hope it is not severe! Be safe out there guys, and watch were you point them barrels!! :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby georgiaboy83 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:08 am

SkyPeeler wrote:Yeah I was also there this morning... We got there at 5am and there was already 15 trucks in there so my buddy and I elected to stay out of the war zone and watch from a distance, It was nice to see all the teal being blasted upon it was even nicer to watch a flock of 7 pintails fly over me and into the war zone but as you can expect with these type of hunters the pinneys didn't make it out!! MAYBE SOME PEOPLE SHOULD LEARN TO IDENTIFY WHAT THEY ARE SHOOTING AT... :no:

:fingerhead: :lol: :huh: Sounds like someone needs to learn how to identify ducks!!! Pintails are one of the last birds to migrate, not saying it isn't possible but it would be a stretch BRAH. :thumbsup:
Last edited by georgiaboy83 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One mans work is another mans treasure"
georgiaboy83
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:17 am

Sorry to hear you got shot..Thats a good way to have a bad day..hope you heal quickly..WOW glad ive been working alot and missed all the fun down there...Always like that tho..Too many skybusters...Couple of weeks ago i called out loud woodies and the guys in the middle shot til they dropped...As they were coming out DNR was there to check..They got fined im sure but Im glad ive been busy....
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby SkyPeeler » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:54 am

Look Georgia boy I have been duck hunting for 20 years I know my ducks, my point is from my point of view they looked very much like pintails to me, what I can definately tell you is they wern't teal, woodducks, mottled ducks, mallards, wistleing ducks, gadwalls, red heads, or canvasbacks.. No need to be a wise ass BRAH!! they wern't teal.. :hi:
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby ebb » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:17 am

Sorry about your face. This topic pretty much sums up duck hunting in GA. There are too many people trying to hunt an area. It's gotten to be more of a dove hunt. I shoot a lot of low birds duck hunting, all hovering over the decoys. I also hunt where others aren't. If people weren't hunting on top of each other this wouldn't happen. It has gotten to the point of not respecting others in regard to where others are hunting. People will set up close to others and not even think twice about it. The internet has helped make this overcrowding. People use to have to find out things on their own. Now, all you do is ask about it and eventually someone will tell you. I use to be able to hunt that area with no crowds. I didn't even bother going over there the last few weeks due to the all the people. It use to be nice until the past couple of years. Oh well, all good things must come to an end sometimes.
ebb
hunter

Postby PLP » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:29 pm

Absolutely NO EXCUSE!Rookie or not!Be aware of your surroundings...#1 you know good and well there are people there if you are within 300yds of them.but COME ON..100yds of them?,#2 no bird is worth shooting someone.Again..no excuse whatsoever..I have heard of 3 people this year being shot out there,and I can't promise I wouldn't shoot back,and at a closer range if I were there..that's why I am staying away..guess we need DNR to babysit us?Hold our hands?I have a good feeling if this keeps up WE WILL LOSE RIGHTS TO HUNT THIS PIECE OF LAND...Oh yeah did I say..NO EXCUSE!If he is a rookie..watch over him!Tell him not to shoot,and if he doesn't listen and is unsafe..I would leave him at the house!...Sorry doesn't help someone get eyesight back,or bring a childs dead father back!! NO EXCUSE!

If there are that many people together in one hole you all need to try and line up and shoot the same direction away from people..NOT TOWARDS EACH OTHER!
PLP
hunter

Postby SkyPeeler » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:17 pm

To Georgia Boy: Just a small rebuttal to your statement of pintails being the last ducks to migrate.. Straight from the DU website. Migrating and Wintering: Northern pintails are among the first ducks to migrate south in the fall and north in the spring. Over half of the pintail population in North America migrates through California. The majority of these birds winter in the Central Valley of California, but some continue south to the west coast of Mexico. Pintails using the Central Flyway winter in the Texas Panhandle and on the Gulf Coast of Texas and western Louisiana. The majority of pintails using the Mississippi Flyway winter in Louisiana, with smaller numbers wintering in Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama. Along coastal wintering grounds, pintails concentrate on shallow fresh or brackish estuaries adjacent to agricultural areas. Northern pintails are common winter visitors to Central America, the Caribbean and northern Colombia (Scott and Carbonell, 1986).

:yes: :hi: :yes: :hi: :huh: :thumbsup:
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby GeorgiaDuckBuster » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:47 pm

This is the reason why the only time I hunt public land is during the week or when the weather is really bad and all the sissies are at home sittin on their biscuits. Or I just saddle up and get back in the woods well beyond where most would go. And that goes for all hunting not just waterfowl. You can't trust those you don't know. Lucky for me I have some private water to hunt as well.
"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." - Theodore Roosevelt
"Support Ducks Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl, without them we wouldn't have waterfowl to hunt." - Myself
GeorgiaDuckBuster
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:21 am

Awell i took a pellit in the lip to day from some guy from savanaha
Ball he had to say was im sorry
Cfor starters he set up about 25 yrds away

and

We were setup over 100 yards away leaning more along the lines of 125 yards.

Both of your hunting ethics suck....outside of hunting you may be OK guys but really....

You let someone set up on you.....did nothing about it.
You let someone shoot you.....did nothing about it.

You set up on someone knowing you were too close....did nothing about it.

You know dang well you would be PO'ed if someone set up that close to you. I fyou would have set up that close to me....I would have took my boat and did figure 8's around and in your decoy spread...maybe even parked in your decoys.

IF I would have been shot I would:
A...either went to your decoys and unloaded my gun into your spread.
B...pulled up next to your boat and shot a hole in the bottom.

Sorry is not an excuse for stupid.

No one likes a confrontation...esp. with guns...but I be danged if I would have let either happen. You keep letting it slide and it will never stop.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby bbbb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:47 pm

Some of you guys need to realize this is not a dove shoot. Instead of shooting dove overhead, we are actually putting decoys out so the ducks will try to land in them. The only ducks I shoot are low birds with their feet down in the decoys.

I know you said you were sorry that he got shot. But I hope you also learned your lesson and that "125" yards is not enough space between hunters.

I will give at least 200 yards to the next hunter, making sure I'm only shooting decoying birds and I expect the same from them. They start sky busting and their hunt is as good as over.
bbbb
hunter

Postby 1*DUCK » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:05 am

It all boils down to "RESPECT", there is no reason anyone should be within 200-300 yrds from another hunter and if that is not possible then the hunter arriving late should move on and find another spot to hunt, PERIOD!!!! As far as taking action back at the person, all you are looking for is more trouble (not that angry see's straight) if you react in the wrong way and will cost you in the long run one way or another.
Keep it real and be SAFE out there...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW -- " What a ride!!!
1*DUCK
hunter

Postby Spottail » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Pintails actually migrate alongside early teal.
We see them regularly as early as August here in SC.
teal and tailing reds make life worth living
Spottail
hunter

Postby SkyPeeler » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:55 am

Thank you spottail :bow: .. Did you catch that one Georgia Boy? :lol:
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby DawgsFan334 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Ok, I am the alleged shooter from the initial post. I would like the facts to be straight in this case, not just a one sided fathom of events. We were over 100 yards away from his set up, and he never led us to believe anyone was in that area, and we basically waded right by him on our way to our spot. We saw some of his crew (whom signaled us with their lights), but we were well out of range of them, and him to be exact, and weren't even opening our range into their area. Wewere set up facing atleast 180 degrees away from them. I personally found no way he could have been shot, but once he said something, over a minute after I shot, I went over and apologized for anything that may have happened. Not really sure what else I could have done. Would you want me to take you to a lobster dinner or something PoBoy? I admit I am new to duck hunting, with about 3 years under my belt, less than 15 trips out, but I am not an idiot. I would never shoot a duck or at someone in the heat of the moment, my mind is more cognizant than that. Safety is my primary goal, and this guy is stretching the truth way beyond belief. If you really want to know the truth, his group of guys were sky blasting the entire morning and leaving the ducks wherever they fell. I am new, and have no shame in my learning experiences, but know that shooting someone isn't an accident I would make, especially after all of the sit down talks from family members, especially my grandmomma. Not saying this guy is lying, but it hit a nerve with me him running his mouth on here, and when confronted with an apology he said nothing of the sort, so you'll have to excuse me if his rant on here elicited a snarky response from myself. Best of luck with the up coming season everyone, and I look forward to continuing earning my experience duck hunting.
DawgsFan334
hunter

Postby po'boy_outfitter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:08 pm

sky busting hu.. and leaveing the birds were they fell... thats kool so when you comeing back to champney season starts saturday hope to see you there tell your grandma i said hello
po'boy_outfitter
hunter

Postby SkyPeeler » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:51 pm

You should have kicked his arse the first time Po Boy.. Maybe you' :boxing: :boxing: ll get a 2nd chance.
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby w11oneal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Wow. I'm glad I'm not hunting in this area.
JAMES ONEAL CHRYSLER-DODGE-JEEP

2010-11 GA
1 green wing
15 woodies
2 hooded mergansers
48 mallards
2 gadwall
2010-11 MS
4 Green heads
4 Green wings
1 woody
2 gadwall
w11oneal
hunter

Postby Hardfowler88 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:21 am

Ya'll are a buch of idiots. Damn give dawgsfan a break. He messed up and he admitted it. this sport is all about comradery not fighting or name. So just stop all the stupid stuff and just hunt. if you think that trying to be a bad ass on a forum in cool then you r nothing but a pathetic immature person that needs to think about growing up and actually taking responsibilities for your actions. Were all duck hunters here some more seasoned than others but were all the same. we get up every morning throw on our waders get in our trucks and go out into a swamp a marsh etc. and watch the sunrise and hear the whistling wings and the quacks and whistles and screeches from the one that we constantly think about from the time the season closes at the end of january till it opens up again in september and november. so just enjoy the outdoors and each others friendships while duck hunting.
--Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck, leads the flock to fly and follow--
Team Hardfowler
Hardfowler88
hunter

Postby bottomland man » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:51 am

I like how you think Hardfowler...The man is sorry. If it were any worse, I could see you holding a grudge, but it wasn't. Lesson learned. The man apologized to your face, that takes guts and if you can't accept that - well then keep blogging about it. Everyone saying "you shouldve kicked his ass" is just egging this thing on and if your someone with that attitude, one day your gonna mess with the wrong man and bite off more than you can chew. There ain't no room for fighting in duck hunting, too many things could go wrong. Public land is for the public unfortunately and there ain't but so much room, if you don't like it then don't hunt public land. Get over it and move on.

Best of luck to everyone this season, may the birds be plentiful, be safe and have fun! Thank the Lord every morning that you have the opportunity to watch the sun rise and harvest the ducks that he put on this earth. Duck season is too short to spend angry. God Bless.
bottomland man
hunter

Postby djchris » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:43 am

Well said.....enuff already.....Good Luck to all.....lord knows i'm needing it up here in the Gainesville area. :thumbsup:
djchris
hunter

Postby po'boy_outfitter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:17 pm

well i accept his appologe and i hope to see him out there and if he would like there is room in my boat if he wants to hunt
po'boy_outfitter
hunter

Next

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting