Duck Hunting Forum banner

Ga opener?

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  caleb 
#1 ·
How was everyones opener? It sounded like the 4th of july in the swamp i hunted this morning. Good start to the season.

#2 ·
Mine was good minus I got not even 1 MINUTE of sleep that night. More birds than I thought and with me literally taking a shot in the dark (buddy couldn't get off work so no prior scouting) as to where to go I couldn't have done any better really...just wish we could have shot a little bit better but that's huntin' :fingerhead:

1 drake ringneck
1 hen woodie

Attachments

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had an AWESOME morning on opening day....we were one shy of limit. Loved seeing those woodie work....it was something. Sunday wasn't as good.....well as far as ducks. My wife went with me for the first, had 6 mallards come in but too far away and alot of geese.....but enjoyed her coming :hammer: :hammer: :thumbsup: As for the gentleman stating he killed a black duck on Lanier on Saturday.....I would have to see it to believe it.
414.JPG

Attachments

#6 ·
Well..Thought i was going to be one of the first to the swamp...NOT!! like 10 guys already there shouldve known better...Setup and ready to go by 5 am..Had a group of guys setup 30yds away...Invited em to hunt with me so our spread got really big and we 5 had a good time...Didnt kill alot...Did alot of calling for the whole swamp to shoot at...We had some real good success turning ducks around and then everyone else around us got to shoot em..we did the work they got to kill... lots of skybusting to...expected there though...had a guy shoot low on a wounded duck and showered a group bout 150 yds behind us...We didnt know they were there..I had to apoligize for the group and they seemed ok..Next week im going earlier and getting a better spot....Had a blast though and we picked up 5 shouldve been more but my dogs first hunt and she had a hard time fining em in the thick vegatation...It was better than sleeping in and hanging out at the house all day..

#7 ·
12 hours in the boat... 2 hours worth of grass cutting... 3 limits of teal...... PRICELESS!!
went back this morning ended up with 1 limit of teal 4 ruddies and 2 merg.
lots of hunters on Saturday, most of those birds have left from here.

#8 ·
2 limits on opener 3 woodie drakes 5 mallard drakes 1 mallard hen 3 green wing drakes. ducks worked very good shot them all within 15 yards of the blind. today went to a different spot and only seen 10 woodies but they were flyin with delta so not a shell was shot. i'm thinkin the season is only gonna get better when we get some of the migration down this way.

#10 ·
3 more woodies this morning. My buddy killed one with a band. Got on the website and the bird was from indiana. They banded it 3 months ago. His 1st duck and the dang thing was banded. He's hooked now. Haven't seen a mallard yet.

#11 ·
Opening day was pretty good, had a lot of ducks flying around in the area, but there were way too many hunters hunkered down in the area as well. Even with all the hunters in the area, we still ended up with a few ducks, 2 brown belly whistlers, three shovelers, two teal and a drake woodie (being mounted). Went out to the same area on Sunday and you could tell the deference, didn't see as many hunters nor ducks. Only ended up with a hen hooded merganser yesterday, so called it quits around 9 A.M. and headed home. From what I seen I don't think the ducks have really moved down, or at least not in the area I was.

#12 ·
one hooded merganser........a pretty terrible hunt.......i guess the ducks that we usually have on our spot just havent made it or maybe it was the moon and warm weather........anyway one duck but alot of fun in the blind we'll get back after them saturday :beer:

#13 ·
I ain't too proud to post my report. I blanked. Nothing. Nadda. This was from a spot I scouted on Thursday!!!! Plenty of birds there then. Don't know what happened...
Basically sat up on the wrong side of the slough. Had a few shots but they were tough. After we moved, the birds quit flying... figures. Did manage to catch a few bass. Saw some nice specs caught. Didn't hunt Sunday. Going to give it a try tomorrow morning.
If I don't do better, I'm selling my stuff.
Did see 2 guys running the river wide open with one guy on the front of the boat with his gun out. I guess that's one way to jump shoot... Maybe they were trying to finish a cripple. Sure.

#16 ·
Hey Remman,
I think it's time for a road trip either North or West, let's start planning.

#17 ·
We had a great opening weekend, not so much on opening day. 1 woodie opening day, then 3 limits of woodies and 2 mallard drakes on Sunday.

#18 ·
might need to head south!! let me see what I can round up :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.