Ga opener?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Ga opener?

Postby w11oneal » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:46 pm

How was everyones opener? It sounded like the 4th of july in the swamp i hunted this morning. Good start to the season.
JAMES ONEAL CHRYSLER-DODGE-JEEP

2010-11 GA
1 green wing
15 woodies
2 hooded mergansers
48 mallards
2 gadwall
2010-11 MS
4 Green heads
4 Green wings
1 woody
2 gadwall
w11oneal
hunter

Re: Ga opener?

Postby S_GA_Boy2008 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Mine was good minus I got not even 1 MINUTE of sleep that night. More birds than I thought and with me literally taking a shot in the dark (buddy couldn't get off work so no prior scouting) as to where to go I couldn't have done any better really...just wish we could have shot a little bit better but that's huntin' :fingerhead:

1 drake ringneck
1 hen woodie
Attachments
PB100560.JPG
S_GA_Boy2008
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Buddy and I limited on Woodducks. Scouted a little bit after and haven't seen a lot around here other than Woodies.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby bottomland man » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:32 pm

1 man woodie limit
bottomland man
hunter

Postby djchris » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:49 am

Had an AWESOME morning on opening day....we were one shy of limit. Loved seeing those woodie work....it was something. Sunday wasn't as good.....well as far as ducks. My wife went with me for the first, had 6 mallards come in but too far away and alot of geese.....but enjoyed her coming :hammer: :hammer: :thumbsup: As for the gentleman stating he killed a black duck on Lanier on Saturday.....I would have to see it to believe it.
414.JPG
Attachments
416.JPG
djchris
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:53 am

Well..Thought i was going to be one of the first to the swamp...NOT!! like 10 guys already there shouldve known better...Setup and ready to go by 5 am..Had a group of guys setup 30yds away...Invited em to hunt with me so our spread got really big and we 5 had a good time...Didnt kill alot...Did alot of calling for the whole swamp to shoot at...We had some real good success turning ducks around and then everyone else around us got to shoot em..we did the work they got to kill... lots of skybusting to...expected there though...had a guy shoot low on a wounded duck and showered a group bout 150 yds behind us...We didnt know they were there..I had to apoligize for the group and they seemed ok..Next week im going earlier and getting a better spot....Had a blast though and we picked up 5 shouldve been more but my dogs first hunt and she had a hard time fining em in the thick vegatation...It was better than sleeping in and hanging out at the house all day..
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby Remman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:52 pm

12 hours in the boat... 2 hours worth of grass cutting... 3 limits of teal...... PRICELESS!!
went back this morning ended up with 1 limit of teal 4 ruddies and 2 merg.
lots of hunters on Saturday, most of those birds have left from here.
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Hardfowler88 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:46 pm

2 limits on opener 3 woodie drakes 5 mallard drakes 1 mallard hen 3 green wing drakes. ducks worked very good shot them all within 15 yards of the blind. today went to a different spot and only seen 10 woodies but they were flyin with delta so not a shell was shot. i'm thinkin the season is only gonna get better when we get some of the migration down this way.
--Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck, leads the flock to fly and follow--
Team Hardfowler
Hardfowler88
hunter

Postby BuiltFordTough » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:28 pm

My 15 mo Labs first hunt, it was a blast! Got his first retrieve, found 2 we couldn't. Great opening woodie hunt :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0832.jpg
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" --Jim Elliot
BuiltFordTough
Newb

Postby w11oneal » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:52 pm

3 more woodies this morning. My buddy killed one with a band. Got on the website and the bird was from indiana. They banded it 3 months ago. His 1st duck and the dang thing was banded. He's hooked now. Haven't seen a mallard yet.
JAMES ONEAL CHRYSLER-DODGE-JEEP

2010-11 GA
1 green wing
15 woodies
2 hooded mergansers
48 mallards
2 gadwall
2010-11 MS
4 Green heads
4 Green wings
1 woody
2 gadwall
w11oneal
hunter

Postby 1*DUCK » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:18 am

Opening day was pretty good, had a lot of ducks flying around in the area, but there were way too many hunters hunkered down in the area as well. Even with all the hunters in the area, we still ended up with a few ducks, 2 brown belly whistlers, three shovelers, two teal and a drake woodie (being mounted). Went out to the same area on Sunday and you could tell the deference, didn't see as many hunters nor ducks. Only ended up with a hen hooded merganser yesterday, so called it quits around 9 A.M. and headed home. From what I seen I don't think the ducks have really moved down, or at least not in the area I was.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW -- " What a ride!!!
1*DUCK
hunter

Postby pk38 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:41 am

one hooded merganser........a pretty terrible hunt.......i guess the ducks that we usually have on our spot just havent made it or maybe it was the moon and warm weather........anyway one duck but alot of fun in the blind we'll get back after them saturday :beer:
DU Chapter Sponsor at Morris Innovative High School
Hoping to bring duck hunting to disadvantaged youths
pk38
hunter

Postby Big Fish » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:56 am

I ain't too proud to post my report. I blanked. Nothing. Nadda. This was from a spot I scouted on Thursday!!!! Plenty of birds there then. Don't know what happened...
Basically sat up on the wrong side of the slough. Had a few shots but they were tough. After we moved, the birds quit flying... figures. Did manage to catch a few bass. Saw some nice specs caught. Didn't hunt Sunday. Going to give it a try tomorrow morning.
If I don't do better, I'm selling my stuff.
Did see 2 guys running the river wide open with one guy on the front of the boat with his gun out. I guess that's one way to jump shoot... Maybe they were trying to finish a cripple. Sure.
Big Fish
hunter

Postby Bear47 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:36 pm

We did ok, could have shot better. Was able to get 3 green wing teal and 1 mallard drake.
Bear47
hunter

Postby thar31321 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Rem Man, the grass cutting isn't too fun and I have proof that it didn't help me out. Shot 2 this morning jump shooting.
thar31321
hunter

Postby 1*DUCK » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:21 am

Hey Remman,
I think it's time for a road trip either North or West, let's start planning.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW -- " What a ride!!!
1*DUCK
hunter

Postby nrohrbach » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:27 pm

We had a great opening weekend, not so much on opening day. 1 woodie opening day, then 3 limits of woodies and 2 mallard drakes on Sunday.
Outdoor Television Personality - Co-Host of Ultimate Outdoors, Thurs 3:30pm, Fri 9am & Sat 8pm ET on Outdoor Channel | "Fold Ducks Like Laundry"
nrohrbach
hunter

Postby Remman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:30 pm

might need to head south!! let me see what I can round up :lol:
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bear47 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:39 am

pair of woodies this morning, one had some jewelry!!!!
Bear47
hunter

Postby caleb » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:59 pm

I havent been, im chasing a large 9 point in north fulton county right now
caleb
State Moderator

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting