Northeast Atlanta Hunting?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Northeast Atlanta Hunting?

Postby DawgsFan334 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:59 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew of any places to hunt Northeast of Atlanta? I am willing to drive to hunt, as I drove 4-1/2 hours to hunt this morning, and then back home. Live in Paulding County, and new to the area, but thought I would get a little insight from some fellow waterfowlers around here. Kinda hoping someone may be nice enough to take me along one morning when they may need an extra man or someone just to go so they're not solo.

Thanks
DawgsFan334
hunter

Re: Northeast Atlanta Hunting?

Postby floridajim » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:01 pm

There are no ducks in Northeast Ga to speak of that I can find. A few potato chip ducks at Lake Lanier. Nothing worth the drive.
floridajim
Newb

Postby GeorgiaDuckBuster » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Not true, there are plenty of ducks northeast of Atlanta. I live just off of Lanier and the Hooch. We ain't got no ducks like them boys in Miss and Arkansas but there are plenty if you know where to look and are willing to put the miles on your dawgs. That is the main way I have killed em. Here lately I have been hunting on a swamp on our huntin club just the other side of Athens, they are pretty strict on visitors but if the door opens up I will drop you a line. My best advice other than that is to find some water that looks ducky try to get on it or try and find some where private that you can slip in maybe wade the creeks on public land might land you some too. Best of luck.
"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." - Theodore Roosevelt
"Support Ducks Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl, without them we wouldn't have waterfowl to hunt." - Myself
GeorgiaDuckBuster
hunter

Postby trevorh » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:49 pm

If you live in Paulding County, you may want to try Lake Weiss in AL. We used to kill ducks there in the mid-80s. Not sure what it's like now. There used to be a lot more ducks in N GA prior to the TVA work, which seemed to pull them to the west.

You can also try to float some of the creeks and rivers in N GA: Etowah, Coosa, Oostanalla, Coosawatee.

If you're willing to drive, you can try Lake Seminole.

Good luck and get out there.
trevorh
Newb

Postby EOMFD » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:52 am

GeorgiaDuckBuster wrote:Not true, there are plenty of ducks northeast of Atlanta. I live just off of Lanier and the Hooch. We ain't got no ducks like them boys in Miss and Arkansas but there are plenty if you know where to look and are willing to put the miles on your dawgs. That is the main way I have killed em. Here lately I have been hunting on a swamp on our huntin club just the other side of Athens, they are pretty strict on visitors but if the door opens up I will drop you a line. My best advice other than that is to find some water that looks ducky try to get on it or try and find some where private that you can slip in maybe wade the creeks on public land might land you some too. Best of luck.

Your club wouldn't happen to have any openings would it? I live in Middle Ga, but my step-dad lives in Gainesville and was looking for something up that way. If not, any suggestions?
Mike
EOMFD
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting