any diver hunters out there?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

any diver hunters out there?

Postby huntndemducks » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:03 pm

im from augusta ga and normally hunt around clarks hill lake and the savanah river. Im not looking for anyones spot by anymeans but are there divers in this area and if so what are some of the basics of finding/hunting these birds? i have been a puddler hunter all of my life but would love to try diver hunting, any help is much appreciated :help:
*Quack Addict*
huntndemducks
hunter

Re: any diver hunters out there?

Postby SkyPeeler » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Never thought of that... Dive under them pop up close and shoot em. I might have to
get a wet suit and try it.. :welcome:
(( SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS ))
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby Remman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:58 pm

:lol3: Good one!! I shoot divers later in the season, just have to scout for them and set up there :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:29 pm

yes i def. im a diver purest. what area do you hunt?
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby Big Fish » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Sir,
When we hunted them at home on bigger water, we'd look for points. The farther that we could get out into the big water, the better. Depending on wind speed, sometimes they would want to light right off the point and other times they would want to tuck in behind it to get out of some of the chop. Also areas where the lake would neck down then open back up. I've got a cousin who hunts Sandusky Bay in a layout boat that swears that's the way to go, but it's definitely a project requiring lots of dekes and a pickup boat...
Big Fish
hunter

Postby huntndemducks » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:14 pm

we are hunting clarks hill lake which is on the s.c. g.a. border. we have hunted it for puddle ducks for years but was just wanting to know some of the basics for diver hunting like decoys, areas and how you do your boat. would mallard decoys work or are they specific to their own type of decoy, also we have a boat with a pop-up blind that looks great backed up against weeds or a wood line but not to sure if that would work out in open water?
*Quack Addict*
huntndemducks
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:31 pm

If u can find birds close to land or grass then ur boat will work.i personally think that the mallards dekes may work but u need dekes with alot of white on them. we hunt over cans and blubills and that works for all the divers. I like to hunt in a layout boat the best bc thats were i have more luck. Alot of times they will get pressured from hunters hunting around grass and land and they will stray from flying over those areas or going anywhere near them , which causes them to raft up in the middle of the big water. In which they do that anyway. But if u can find some in a pocket or around grass then get ur can or blubill or ringneck dekes and make it look natural , in other words how u saw the birds there when u scouted. Also i tend to stay away from callin alot but if u feel the need u can use a mallard call and it will sound just the same. if u dont kno u can look on the DU page and find out what sounds they make.
Rodney Hill
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby huntndemducks » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:26 pm

well the layout boat def. sounds like the way to go but we are tight on money so that wont be the route, heading to the lake tomorrow to go and see what we can find, and will give it a shot when the second season comes in here in ga. I heard that they fly more towards the middle of the day, is this true?
*Quack Addict*
huntndemducks
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:31 pm

well... alot of times we kill most of our ducks from about 8 to 12.but the most constant flight seems to be at dawn.Cans and bluebills move throughout the day where i hunt but the ringnecks tend to stay put.You can easily find a good place around grass though.Just look for food such as hydrilla , ect. or find where the ducks or bunched up or rafted.If they are bunched up in a small water area ,more than likely there is a reason for that and it is probably food. but your bigger flocks are gonna be in open water because thats where they feel safe.But i have had luck hunting from a boat.Just scout a ton.spend time lookin and you should find some to get into
Rodney Hill
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby huntndemducks » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:37 pm

our lake is slap filled with hydrilla so there should be plenty of food around, went looking today and found a few birds will be givin it a shot this coming weekend. thanks for the advice
*Quack Addict*
huntndemducks
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting