New guy

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

New guy

Postby mannawray67 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:24 am

Been wanting to try duck hunting for a little while so i'm going to give it a try this year. Will be using my Benelli super nova and was wondering if anybody has any ideas on what shells and choke to use. I will be shooting mostly woodies and have seen some hoodies. Have not checked the swamp lately to see what all is there, guess i need to go check it today. Any help would be great thanx. :thumbsup:
mannawray67
Newb

Re: New guy

Postby PLP » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:18 am

An improved cylinder is probably best for hunting in timber(Most shots 30yds or less).Steel shoots tighter than lead,so an improved cylinder will shoot like a modified with lead.If it is real open,and you think you will be shooting alot of 30-40yd shots then go with a mod.As far as shells...lots of choices..#4's are real popular,but I am going to #2's.They hit alot harder..I used to shoot the cheap Winchester Xpert loads that are about $10 a box,but I got some remington Nitro steel magnums on sale for $10 a box that were $23 a box regularly,and I can tell you the more expensive steel does seem to do a better job for me.Hevi-shot is real popular,but you need to make sure your choke can handle hevi-shot..(or steel for steel loads).You can get away with shooting a smaller size pellet with hevi-shot.Which gives you more pellets,and they weigh more so they have more energy...but they cost out the wazoo..good luck!
PLP
hunter

Re: New guy

Postby mannawray67 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks for the reply. The swamp I will be hunting is more open so think I will go with the mod. choke. Guess I will gowith the better shot.
mannawray67
Newb

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting