Jon boat as a layout boat?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Jon boat as a layout boat?

Postby Big Fish » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:31 am

Gentlemen,
How feasible would it be to use a 14' low profile jon boat covered with grass and such as a layout boat? Has anyone tried this? Feel free to PM me with any thoughts...
Thanks.
Big Fish
Big Fish
hunter

Re: Jon boat as a layout boat?

Postby olddkguide » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:17 pm

It's been tried by a lot of folks, including me a long time ago. It doesn't really work as a layout, you can make it low profile but if you are in open water you will still stand out like a lighthouse.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby The BB » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:07 pm

It wouldnt.
The BB
hunter

Postby Big Fish » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:44 am

Sounds like I'd have a better chance of shooting ducks by constructing a giant cypress tree on the front of the boat...
I appreciate it guys.
Big Fish
Big Fish
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Are you asking whether this would work in the open water, or just as a means of keeping a lower profile? I've got a gheenoe classic (boat has a very low profile) and if I'm by myself or if the wind is ripping, I'll take the blind off my boat and just use some old "fast grass" mats thrown over me and the boat. It's not as comfortable as sitting in a seat, and my field of vision is more limited since I can't really turn around, but as long as I'm pushed up in some grass/cover I feel like my boat is much better hidden. Alot of the lakes I hunt have very little cover to hide in and as the season progresses birds start to flare from pop-up blinds and anything else with a large profile. Just my .02.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby Big Fish » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:47 am

My original idea was an open water approach. Now I'm thinking more of laying near, but not behind, scattered cypress trees. I had heard it might work for divers if I loaded up with green branches on top of the boat to break up my silhouette. I only hunt out of the boat during higher water so I haven't committed to making a boat blind yet...
Big Fish
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting