Cherokee County Area

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Cherokee County Area

Postby RidgewayVol » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Hi Guys, new to this forum. Very good possibility I will be relocating to the Atlanta area this summer, looking primarily in and around Cherokee County. I'm an avid duck hunter where I currently live and hunt 20-30 days each season. Got the boat, dog, decoys, guns, waders, layout blinds, calls, flags, mojos, the whole nine yards so I'm not a newby - but I know how these kind of chat posts come across to everyone. Here goes anyway - Where would one have to go around Cherokee County to get some decent hunting action come duck season? I hunt the Ohio River regularly so am not afraid of big water if that's where you have to go. Like to hunt farm ponds and fields for geese too if I can find a spot that doesn't get too much pressure. Willing to travel a ways to go where the action is, but have no idea what direction that might be. Any information you can provide would be helpful.

I'm also looking for a DU Chapter in the area to get involved with. Been treasurer for my current chapter for last 6 years. We do an annual banquet that nets over $25,000 annually, so I'd like to get involved with an active chapter if there is one locally.

Lastly, are there many places to shoot trap and/or sporting clays in the area? My boys shoot trap for the ATA/AIM program and they want to keep doing that if possible. I've done a Google search and found a few places but not very close to Cherokee County. I know the couple of sportsmen's clubs we belong to in Kentucky don't really have an "internet presence" if you know what I mean. Hopefully I can find a similar place to shoot locally.

Again, thanks for any information you can share.
RidgewayVol
hunter

Re: Cherokee County Area

Postby Dep6 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:27 pm

:welcome: Your going to have to put your work in up there that's for sure, scouting and all. I know your north of me and west but I don't confess to knowing much about that Area. I do know there are several DU Chapters in the Greater Atlanta Area.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:08 am

I'll check around for you, my wife is from Canton and we head up that way to see her parents. Ive met a few guys that hunt around there, but they mainly go west....to AL and AR.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby caleb » Wed May 18, 2011 9:02 am

I live in canton. Moved here from FL two years ago. I hunted 40-50 days a year in FL and wish I was still there as far as hunting goes. I have some fields we can kill geese on but ducks are few are far between. There are a couple places in AL that are okay at times.

:welcome: :beer:
caleb
State Moderator

Postby djchris » Mon May 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Welcome aboard Ridgeway :welcome:

I've located a few spots that you need a boat......since I know longer have a boat.......sure could use a second gun if your interested......I live about an hour from that area....I'm in Gainesville/Dawsonville area. Keep in touch and lets see if we can get together and whack em!!!!! Lot of great guys on here. Best of luck!!!! :beer:
djchris
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting