Black Ducks?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Black Ducks?

Postby Waterloo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:19 pm

I seen some ducks in my pond this morning an couldnt decide what they were, i have seen woodies and mallards here before and this wasnt either nor was it a merganser.

Only thing i came up with from my google searching was a Black Duck. Now I am in south central ga and i thought they were on the coast, is it possible to have black ducks in this area?
Waterloo
hunter

Re: Black Ducks?

Postby fishwater » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:10 am

could be molting mallards. IIRC mottled ducks are more coastal than black ducks. look at the speculum on the wings next time you get close enough and find out if it's flanked by white bands that'll help. also look at the bill. i'm no expert by any means, but that'll help narrow it down.
fishwater
hunter

Postby Remman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:02 pm

could be mottled ducks... :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hydrilla » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Waterloo wrote:I seen some ducks in my pond this morning an couldnt decide what they were, i have seen woodies and mallards here before and this wasnt either nor was it a merganser.

Only thing i came up with from my google searching was a Black Duck. Now I am in south central ga and i thought they were on the coast, is it possible to have black ducks in this area?

You occasionally see black ducks in Georgia. It isn't that common, and that is in the winter when they are actually supposed to be here. Since you are seeing them in May, when they are supposed to be many miles North of here makes it much more likely that it was a mottled duck or some farm duck cross.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Waterloo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:51 pm

Where dd you see that i seen them in may, i just seen them this week. I thought when i first saw them that they were mallard hens and then looked at them and they were almost solid black.
Waterloo
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting