Looking For Chocolate Lab

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Looking For Chocolate Lab

Postby gaquackster » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:21 am

I am a student at abac in tifton, ga. Its about 45 north of valdosta about an hour south of perry. I am posting this for a friend of mine. she is looking for full blood chocolate lab puppies that will be ready around christmas or a little before. If anyone has any or know of a good local breeder please pm me or text 706 318 1884 thank you.
Hunting Isn't A Hobby To Me, It's A Way Of LIFE
gaquackster
hunter

Re: Looking For Chocolate Lab

Postby Labnerd01 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:53 am

Suggestion for you, what price do you have in mind to pay for a Chocolate Puppy? Does she want it to hunt or just want it to be a pet?

Are you aware of the health problems that prevail in the Labrador Retriever breed, especially the Chocolate pups, Do you know that approximately 18 to 20% of them will come down with Hip problems. Some so severe that you will wind up spending between $3500.00 and $5,000 to fix them. There are lots of other autosomal recessive diseases to think about. Find out if the sire or dam have had ear infections and/or Hot Spots on their skin, These problems are more frequent in Chocolates than the other two colors and can really get nasty especially in warm moist climates. If the Parents have had the problems then your chances of buying a puppy free of these problems is not good.

To protect yourself you should make sure the sire and dam of the puppy have health clearances on the EYES and on the Elbows and on the Hips. In addition two others diseases are widespread in the Labrador Retriever breed, Exercise Induced Collapse Syndrome, (EIC) and Central Nuclear Myopthy (CNM).

A good breeder will know what you are talking about when you ask them about the above health clearances and will gladly prove it to you with Authentic Certificates showing the dogs were tested and the results. You can always go to the OFA website to verify the clearances.

My advise to you as a breeder since 1986 is: "Buyer Beware" do your homework on health clearances before you buy or put a deposit down.

I know some breeders in your area but they rarely breed Chocolate and NO, I don't have any puppies for sale.
Going Hunting without a trained retriever is like going on a honeymoon without a bride!
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby gaquackster » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:49 pm

wow. never thought of any of that. i'm pretty sure she just wants a pet. but she is a chocolate lab lover. whats some breeders i can contact near me? and price..im not sure about prob not more then 200
Hunting Isn't A Hobby To Me, It's A Way Of LIFE
gaquackster
hunter

Postby Labnerd01 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Well, at that price point which is just a few more dollars than what you would pay to get a dog out of the pound you do not have much chance of being assured of a healthy pup..Perhaps she would be better off not getting one right now. At least do some searching around.
Going Hunting without a trained retriever is like going on a honeymoon without a bride!
Labnerd01
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting