Awesome Swamp/No Birds??

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Awesome Swamp/No Birds??

Postby BreastBuster870 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:04 pm

I recently leased a swamp from my neighbor. He said that several years ago when he hunted there that it was full of ducks. I have seen very few ducks in the swamp. They fly over high and keep going!! How can I get them to stop in? Decoys aren't working and I don't think baiting is the answer. When I looked at it before leasing there were goose feathers and scat everywhere. Now.....nothing. I have become frustrated at this point, maybe it's because I'm a rookie in the game. Just looking for some pointers.
BreastBuster870
Newb

Re: Awesome Swamp/No Birds??

Postby hydrilla » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:21 pm

The problem with ducks is that you have to be somewhere they want to be. An area canlook great, but that doesn't mean there are going to be any ducks there. Is there anything there for them to eat? Has it been shot? How deep is it? Honestly I would think it is going to be difficult to do much to it this year other than baiting it up. Next year you could plant some Jap millet around the edges to give them something to eat, but you are probably just going to have to sit back and hope something decides to stop by thia year. If they just fly over and they want to go somewhere else, there isn't a lot you can do to chnage their mind.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby cajunbulldog72 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 pm

the wood ducks are all over my area its the mallards im waiting for though.it didnt get cold enough up north yet to push them down here yet
cajunbulldog72
Newb

Postby BreastBuster870 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:00 pm

I was down at the swamp today and watched 23 geese and 18 woodies come in to the wheat and corn that I threw out before daylight. Imagine that!! I might have spoke too soon. But I sure appreciate the feedback.
BreastBuster870
Newb

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting