Where are my wood ducks?????

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Where are my wood ducks?????

Postby Big Fish » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:34 am

Gentlemen,
I've been hunting hard now since the second season opened. I have yet to kill a woodie on the Ocmulgee and I've only had the opportunity to shoot twice. I've got a close group of guys that I trade intel with and none of them are seeing birds in the areas that they have been hunting. Ramps are still limited with low water, but I'd figure it wouldn't matter too much cause the birds ought to be pretty concentrated. Guys on GON keep posting pics of limits of birds and I gotta figure there are enough here to kill. Is anyone else struggling, or is it just me?

Big Fish
Big Fish
hunter

Re: Where are my wood ducks?????

Postby Dep6 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 am

I would be leery of info gained on GON.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Big Fish » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:55 am

How true.
I'm sure a little corn goes a long way...
Big Fish
hunter

Postby hamer174 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:29 pm

I hunt up near warner robins and we arent seeing any...last we when everything froze we saw prob 200 woodies one morning but
i havent seen 50 all season this year.
hamer174
hunter

Postby dmiller_time » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:59 pm

I hunt around the valdosta hahira area and between the two groups of hunters that I hunt with we have seen a decent amount. Seen 16 and killed 1 saturday mornin. Seen 11 and limited out sunday mornin. First time any of us have limited out this year. I scouted one day earlier this season and seen around 200 with a mix of teal and green heads but they wernt there 2 days later when we got a chance to hunt them. Since the split we have only killed 9 woodies between 6 of us and I killed 5 of them. Befor the split we only killed 1. It does seem they are pickin up though. I usally keep an eye on the migration map on ducks.org to see how everybody else is doin north of us. Kinda give us and idea of when they are gonna get cranked up.
dmiller_time
hunter

Postby Big Fish » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:32 am

That makes me feel a little better. I was beginning to fear I had some stink on me...
Looks like another warm front is here, but long range forecast looks a little cooler after Christmas. We could still use about a foot of rain and 4 or 5 hard freezes.
Big Fish
hunter

Postby dmiller_time » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Yes to the rain and yes the the freeze. We have been hunting mostly bends in the rivers around here. Bout the only places there is enough water. And a few ponds but they are not doing so great. Really thought they would cause the river is so low but we have seen more birds on the river so far.
dmiller_time
hunter

Postby misfire » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:52 am

Its not just you Big Fish, I have killed two woodies all season. My normal spots have water, but no birds. Havent had the first chance at a big duck yet
misfire
hunter

Postby QuackAttack873 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Seeing and killing a pretty good bit this test thus far. We have killed about as many Gadwalls as wooducks to go along with about 5 or 6 greenheads and a few geese.. pretty good season thus
just gonna keep on getting better.
Wack em' and Stack em'
QuackAttack873
hunter

Postby dmiller_time » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:34 pm

We really aint pickin up that much down here in the valdosta area. Did have about 40-50 in our #1 hole earlier this week. got them on the deer camera, they stayed for one day all that day and came back the next mornin till 8:30 when we got a pic of a big ol pond scoggin. since then only 3 on the camera every day since. Did kill a limit of woodies on a little bitty pond saturday mornin and 1 hood. Also seen 2 big ducks that mornin so, maybe soon they are gonna get thick...
dmiller_time
hunter

Postby Waterloo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:13 pm

not to many in my spots either, we are around the tifton,chula area and there has been a few seen but not many shot. I will tell you that i was sitting out in the back yard this evening around 5 and seen prolly 500-700 big ducks headed south, they had no intentions of stopping but at least it looks like they may be some headed this way. Couldnt believe what i was seeing thought i was in arkansas.
Waterloo
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:41 pm

2 weeks ago I saw asbout 2-3000 sandhill cranes headed south so maybe they moving some.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Big Fish » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:48 pm

I KILLED ONE!! When she came in this morning, I felt like one of those M&M's in that Christmas commercial with Santa. " They do exist!" Only saw about 8 birds. Only had 1 come into range . Wish I could go tomorrow. It's going to be cold...
Big Fish
hunter

Postby dmiller_time » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Congrats to ya Big Fish!!! I Killed my first ring neck saturday mornin and he is at the taxidermist. Went this mornin and it was cold as hell. I underestimated the weather this mornin. Only seen 5 ducks on the river. this time last year we coldnt keep or guns loaded. I hope it picks up soon. Im begining to think the big groups of woodies have snuk by us. Do have intell of a pond that is holding a good bit of mallards though. Gonna try to check it out this weekend...
dmiller_time
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:41 pm

My nephew and I each shot one last week, he got the drake, I got the hen.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby BenelliBoy75 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:20 pm

My normal wood duck holes have been over loaded this year. Guess all of yall's birds are in my swamps. We only hunt them maybe 2 times a season but we've got about 4 good places. We keep a watch on them and they're still loaded. I've got a new swamp that I got in on this year, probably the most beautiful swamp I've ever seen in GA. It's holding Mallards, ringnecks, woodies, Wigeon, and even some PIntails. Problem is they're roosting on it and aren't coming in till way after shooting time. We watched probably 300+ birds come in on it Friday evening. You go and hunt it the next morning and see maybe 50 out of the 300 leave. Guess they're leaving in the middle of the night. Going to hammer our best swamp Sat morn though, I'm calling 4 man limit of woodies in 10 minutes. Got to put the skeet choke in for this place cause they're so in your face. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
"What happened to your call, sounds like crap..." "I think I blew my dip in it again..."
BenelliBoy75
hunter

Postby dmiller_time » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:21 am

2294152587 Benelli Boy. Thats my phone number. If you need another gun in the blind give me a call. Ill go blind folded if thats what it takes. I just want one good shoot this year. where in Ga are you located??
dmiller_time
hunter

Postby dmiller_time » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:53 pm

Just wondering if you guys are seeing anymore birds than you were. I sure am. Shot a limit on the river yesterday and my buddy killed 2 and we both shot a limit today on a lil pond with a teal and a hood. had a group of 4 big ducks fly over us this mornin and then another group of 6 haulin arss and wasnt payin any attention to our lil wood duck hole. So maybe we fixin to get a real good push with this cold here now.
dmiller_time
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting