Possible move to Atlanta

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Possible move to Atlanta

Postby MNtransplant » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 am

Hey all I'm possibly being transferred to Atlanta from Portland, Oregon for work. I will find out officially in a couple weeks. We're having a great season in the Pacific Flyway. Our group of 4 is 8 birds shy of 300. Where we hunt we see lots of Pintails, Mallards, and GW Teal. We get good movement on Ringnecks, Canvasback, and Spoonies. Question is what kind of opportunities can I expect in the Atlanta area (public land or having to get leases)? Will i have to travel far out the metro? Is it mostly waders or boat hunting? What kind of birds can I expect to see? Final question is do you have gators in the water? Only reason I ask is I have no clue about gators being a Northern boy and don't want my dog to be a snack...ha ha. Thanks for the info in advance and if this move does happen I plan to be active on the board and in the duck hunting community so I'll see you around.
MNtransplant
hunter

Re: Possible move to Atlanta

Postby thar31321 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:11 pm

You will need to drive at least 6 hours to have a decent hunt. GA is the desert of duck hunting. We killed mostly wood ducks here.
thar31321
hunter

Postby BigSwole » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Hmm, let me answer a few questions for you.

MNtransplant wrote:Hey all I'm possibly being transferred to Atlanta from Portland, Oregon for work. I will find out officially in a couple weeks. We're having a great season in the Pacific Flyway. Our group of 4 is 8 birds shy of 300. Is it possible to find another job in the same area instead of move?

Where we hunt we see lots of Pintails, Mallards, and GW Teal. Umm, we dont!

We get good movement on Ringnecks, Canvasback, and Spoonies. See Above Answer

Question is what kind of opportunities can I expect in the Atlanta area (public land or having to get leases)? Im from south georgia, but recently i was looking at moving to kennesaw and lake altoona is right there, havent really heard good or bad on the hunting on it but its pretty good sized

Will i have to travel far out the metro? Whats far for you??

Is it mostly waders or boat hunting? Scared of gators?

What kind of birds can I expect to see? Mostly wood ducks, and the occasional "big duck"

Final question is do you have gators in the water? Short answer, yes. Long answer, Shine a light at night time and just count eyes!!

Only reason I ask is I have no clue about gators being a Northern boy and don't want my dog to be a snack...ha ha.You should be ok, im careful where i take my dog in early season, once late season gets here i take her everywhere unless im still seeing a bunch of eyes on the way to the blind.

Thanks for the info in advance and if this move does happen I plan to be active on the board and in the duck hunting community so I'll see you around.

You will not like it here! lol im only giving you a hard time im from here but my family that are from cali dont even like to come visit ga. The duck hunting isnt that bad, but it is far from awesome like what you are probably used to. but seeing how you will be in atl you could make a trip not that far away to be in good duck territory.
BigSwole
hunter

Postby dmiller_time » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Definatly gotta work for the birds and mostly woodies. Have killed a ringneck and a couple hoods this year. Did kill a shovler last year on the river.
dmiller_time
hunter

Postby BigSwole » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Yeah, i mean dont get me wrong youll get a few birds here and there and they are rewarding, this year i got a banded goose, drake gadwall, and hen shoveler and last year i killed a drake mallard all here in south georgia.

It isnt what your used to and youll find yourself making out of town trips to shoot ducks like youve been doing.
BigSwole
hunter

Postby MNtransplant » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I figured by doing some Internet scouting that it wasn't going to be the duck hunting paradise I'm used to, but half of it for me is getting out and hanging with like minded people. Besides the job is a great opportunity but is not permanent so a couple leans years won't kill me. What parts of Geogria tend to see the most birds? I've never shot a wood duck so that will be fun. Yes gators scare me and my dog...ha ha. Not so sure I like counting eyes, is that legit? Well I'll be back on here in a week or so and update on the situation...thanks again for the info.
MNtransplant
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:04 pm

Below the Fall Line, the Columbus,Macon,Augusta line there are many, many Gators. They do go dormant in cold weather but we have not had enough this year to hardly get them dormant. Be very wary of putting a dog in the water alone.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby MNtransplant » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:41 am

So that's the good areas...or where the gators are thick? Im thinking if this thing happens I'm just gonna have to take the boat and the pup out and do some scouting. I'll probably make some trips as well...maybe LA or AR. I'd like to get 3-5 spots within 4 hours...preferably gator free if there is such a thing. If anyone from Atl happens to be in Oregon in January and wants to get a good hunt in, I'll gladly trade for the same next year in GA. Thanks to the information I bit the bullet and had a Drake Pinny and Mallard sent to the Taxi this year. Last question any Cinneamon Teal? That's my dream bird.
MNtransplant
hunter

Postby thar31321 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:05 pm

You will definitely not find a cinnamon teal around here. I think you are already in the only area that sees them regularly. New Mexico is a hot spot for them year round from all the maps that I have seen.
thar31321
hunter

Postby BigSwole » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Yes counting eyes is legit lol. This past early goose season we had a small gator about 6 ft in the middle of the goose decoys. They are worse in the sourhern portion of the state. But they generally will leave you alone and not bother you. I have talked to people (not duck hunters) that had their dogs ate on eufaula.
BigSwole
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:05 pm

That line I described, I WOULD not put a dog in the water unless temps were below or at freezing. In my time I know of 10-15 that have lost dogs to Gators.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting