Sending your Retriever off to School

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Sending your Retriever off to School

Postby Labnerd01 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 pm

I just sent my 10 month old off to school this weekend to a trainer that I have known since the mid 80's. Meanwhile, me and my 8 year old male Labrador Retriever, Boss, will enjoy the rest of hunting season together while junior learns the art of the trade of becoming a " FINISHED" working gundog.

I chose Jerry Day-Days End Retrievers to finish Chief off on his Advanced obediance training and to take him through TRANSITION training. This will probably take 4 to 6 months, I will finish him off once Jerry has him through the Double T and the Swim-By procedure.

Having been around retriever training since the mid 80's I know most of the who's who in the game of retriever training for gundogs and trial dogs in Georiga and could have chosen from a short list of 8 or 10 good ones but went with Jerry. My reasons are many but one key reason is it boils down to my knowledge of his training skills and my trust in him. However their are many other reasons I chose Jerry and thought I would list them so others could perhaps use my guidelines to go by. They are as follows:
1. His facility-within less than two hours drive so I can visit on weekends, become involved and see the progress or lack there of. This is important.
2. The kennels and grounds are outstanding with technical training ponds and lakes on the property, duck blinds and above all and very important to me is that he maintains "live gamebirds", so dogs get both live and dead Ducks and Pheasants on a daily basis.
3. Training Groups-Jerry allows both Field Trial and Hunt Test training groups on his land as well as dog clubs by prior appointment. Saturday I was invited to join a working training group with both my dogs, something hard to come by in Alpharetta, GA where I live.
4. TRAINING GROUNDS-Can't get enough places to work your dog and Jerry has friends all over the country, especially in Georgia and takes up folks on invites. This is pivital to getting the dog to understand concepts in different areas.
5. CREDENTIALS-Jerry has Won so many trials and titled so many Hunt Test dogs, including his ESPN Super Retriever Series Champion FC AFC MHR Super Sue MH he could build a house with all the ribbons. He has demonstrated an ability to participate in any event anywhere and you can bet he will be in it to the end.

Of interest while I was there was a fella who's dog had been with a another trainer for 12 months and the dog had not learned how to run cold blinds. An unacceptable situation by any standard and I told him so. Hindsight being 20/20 he should have picked his dog up long before the trainer got into his hip pocket that deep. This was a hard and expensive lesson for this young fella, now he has to pay it all over again or simply tolerate a three rock dog.

If you have read the above, I hope you got some ideas on when you go to shop for a dog trainer what to look for and thats what this post is about. Its about finding the right dog trainer-I know I have but have you.
Make sure you do your homework and check out the dog trainer you are about to put your pooch with. Then communicate regularly with them and go see your dog work, learn what an appropriate time frame is for reaching certain goals and objectives. Know what the RED FLAGS ARE before you spend your money and place your dog with a stranger. Cheap does not denote good in dog trainers-believe me you get what you pay for and sometimes you don't even get what you pay for if you don't keep your finger on the pulse.

Here is Jerry's website-cruise it if you want to see his facilities-there are plenty more around as good as his and perhaps some folks may have some other to recommend. Jerry is usually full and requires advanced bookings of 3 to 6 months. Other Quaility dog trainers will have wait times as well.
http://www.daysendretrievers.com/

No, I was not asked to put this on here, no I do not get a discount- I did it to help others find quality trainers!
Enjoy Your dog!
Going Hunting without a trained retriever is like going on a honeymoon without a bride!
Labnerd01
hunter

Re: Sending your Retriever off to School

Postby Dep6 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Let's watch the comments guys. If you can't say something good please refrain from commenting.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby djchris » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:24 pm

I got nothing...... :lol:
djchris
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:55 pm

Fantastic post there guy!
You will really enjoy hunting with your FULLY trained retriever when you get him back!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby Labnerd01 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:55 am

WHAT DOES IT COST TO HAVE MY DOG TRAINED TO A FINISHED Hunting dog LEVEL

Most dog trainers charge anywhere from $500.00 per month to $700.00 per month, costs can be higher if you want to compete in trials. Most trainers will require a minimum stay of 3 months. Since three months does not buy a fully trained retriever I tell folks they need to allow the trainer a minimum of six months to nine months.

If the dog has been educated by the owner sufficiently from puppy to six months, the best time to send your dog off to the trainer will be between the age of 6 and 10 months. This allows the trainer Prime time foundation training which includes but is not limited to formal obediance, Force Fetch and Collar Conditioning.

The cost will be billed out monthly and you will be charged the monthly fee and often additional fees for birds, entry fees and handler fees if you decide to have the dog run in any kind of events.

Bottom line is a Finished Dog capable of marking three birds down and handling on Blind retrieves on Land and Water beyond 100 yards will probably cost between $4500.00 and $6,000.00.

WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY BUT WANT TO TRAIN MY DOG TO A FINISHED LEVEL?

Join a Retriever Club- In the state of Georgia duck dog folks have a viable means to train their dogs with fellow dog trainers. The United Kennel Club Hunting Retriever Program, as outlined on their website is your best alternative. Joining a local retriever club will only cost you between $25.00 and $50.00 annually. In Georgia we have sanctioned UKC Hunting Retriever Clubs in Savannah, Albany, Gainesville and Atlanta. Most of the clubs have monthly club training days and many members are involved in training groups in their respective geographic areas. You can get contact information from the HRC website at: http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/

The AKC also has sanctioned Clubs throughout the state though few cater to the folks interested in the Hunting Retriever as well as HRC. One such club has its primary training grounds around Thomasville, GA. which is the capital of winter retriever training in the Southeast. Here you will find the Best of the Best from northern states during the Winter months, most are field trial trainers who's standards and requirements are much higher than the average gundog owner. Still, the Tallahassee Retriever Club which has its facilities in Thomasville, GA provides excellent training opportunities for gundog owners.
Last edited by Labnerd01 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Going Hunting without a trained retriever is like going on a honeymoon without a bride!
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:21 am

I bet your guy is a good trainer.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby GADKHNTR » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Heck yea man!
Break out the Benjamins!
A benny here, 45 benny's there, SHOOT YEA man ducks dog and ducks and dogs and ducks!
WOOT!
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Dep6 wrote:Let's watch the comments guys. If you can't say something good please refrain from commenting.

you got any comments on that post to share?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Riverrunner342 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Hey Steve-

I take it that this is another "YUKON" animal. Lets see, hard to train and worse to hunt over.

GOOD LUCK
Riverrunner342
hunter

Postby Labnerd01 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:21 pm

TIPS FOR TRAINING YOUR RETRIEVER

For folks who can't afford to send their retriever off to school or who are not close to a retriever club are lots of resources on the web. Here are a couple links to sites that I often refer to and or have bought DVD's from. The first one " Jim Dobb's Libraries" has lots of good stuff on training patterns and the DVD's on " Hold " and " FETCH" are the best I have found thus far. Here is his link.http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/index.html

Evan Graham also does an excellent job of providing a complete training program via DVD's and books and offers his products for sale over the net as well as giving seminars around the country. I use his program in training my dogs, bBelow is a link to his site:
http://www.rushcreekpress.com/page1homepage.html

Make sure you view his " Free " video on The Essentials of Gun Dog Training.

Now, all this information is available to you but keep in mind that when you are at a dead end in your training and you don't think you can get over the hump, go see a good dog trainer, even if its just for a few hours...and they don't have to be a pro, a good amateur with training credentials is a great asset for you.
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:31 pm

Moo-ee excellentay post there guy!
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby Remman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Or you could just shoot the ducks as they land... saves lots of cash so you can support DU!! :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting