Baiting a swamp?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Baiting a swamp?

Postby duckslayer1250 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:54 pm

I have heard of baiting to get ducks to come into the area, but how is it done? I have access to a decent size swamp that geese and ducks have been seen on before, but i personally dont ever see any. Any help?
duckslayer1250
Newb

Re: Baiting a swamp?

Postby SkyPeeler » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Pile the corn in there. Bag after bag :thumbsup:
(( SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS ))
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby dmiller_time » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:03 am

Are you aware that it is illegal to shoot waterfowl over bait and that the baited hole must be inspected 10 days befor you shoot it??

If so then its easy but dose not really work that well unless you are planing on shoting them over the bait. But, Get you a bag of cracked corn, mil lo, ground up peanuts, or even sunflower seeds and just throw them on the edge of the water where you know ducks are gonna be. I spent alot of money on corn this year baiting up a hole for about 4 months and when I had it checked 10 days befor the season the officer said it was good. Went back in the thursday befor we shot it and there was at least 300 birds in the hole. Mix of woodies, a few teal and mallard and some mergansers, mostly woodies though. The saturday we hunted it we killed 3 gees and only shot at one duck and didnt see but prolly 30 birds. Didnt even fire a shot the next mornin with less birds comin to the pond.

Its not worth it taking the chance to hunt over bait. Boy in my deer lease got caught this year and has one hellofa fine to pay. Thousands of dollars to kill some ducks. Not worth it man!! Plus now the GW is there just about every 3rd or 4th time we go in there. He has slacked off some the past few weeks but it ridiculous. Just find a good hole where the birds are and youll kill ducks. Key to killing woodies in georgia, be where they are going. Gotta put in the leg work to kill ducks down here...
dmiller_time
hunter

Postby Big Fish » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:51 pm

That's not hunting. It's shooting. If you're not seeing them there already, I'd hunt somewhere else...
Big Fish
hunter

Postby duckslayer1250 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Yeah, I know you have to have it checked out before you hunt it. But I got to thinking about it, I think I am just going to hunt somewhere else. I think it's going to take too much time.
duckslayer1250
Newb

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:20 pm

or if you know acorns are around the pond or hole get some and place them in the pond with a little corn before the season and keep adding acorns instead of corn
krazybronco2
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting