Duck Calls

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Duck Calls

Postby JWindish » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:50 am

Does anyone have any preference about brand of duck calls? I'm a beginner and was wondering which ones would be easiest to learn on, but still be good in the field.
JWindish
hunter

Re: Duck Calls

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:57 pm

A lot of ppl say get a cheaper call to learn on and their not wrong but in my opinion it was easier for me to learn on a higher quality call.Ima echo guy that's wut I mostly stick with but there are other good calls out there.I would suggest get a cd to listen to and learn.Learn to perfect one quack.It takes a lot of practice but u will get it eventually.also some other good calls that r n a.good price range is buck Gardner Haydels , duck commander , none of these are bad to start off with
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby Remman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:09 pm

a CD is your best option.. those cheaper calls work well.. also a double reed is easier to learn on
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:30 pm

I would suggest the duck dictionary.Kent Cullum explains everything u need to know about duck sounds.after u get a cd with the basics I would def look in to it.You'll c wut I mean about the different calls
Rodney Hill
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby jaker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:54 am

a good call to learn on is a quackhead j frame. but choose whatever you want to. My suggestion is to start with a single reed, not a double. If you can blow a single read then you can blow a double, but not neccessarily the other way around. It will make you a better caller in the end. I agree with the other guys, get a cd and listen to it, keep your call in the car, listen to that instead of the radio, and work on your calling. Start simple, don't get frustrated it takes years and years to become a good caller.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 am

Just look to your home state to buy your call. You have numerous call makers in the state of Georgia my two favorite. Keith custom calls and Fowlfield custom calls! Both call makers will hook you up and the prices aren't to shabby either.
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby Oconee GSP » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:23 am

I make some duckcalls that have Echo inserts i just make the mouth peices send me a text and i can shoot you some photos . I use all kinds of wood Osage Orange Walnut Brazilian Cherry Cedar Maple and others . Prices are for us poor folks that love to hunt. 678-863-9172
Oconee GSP
Newb

Postby mitchmc » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:49 am

i would suggest a primos origonal wench. double reed extremely easy to learn on and will kills ducks tooo.
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby swampmaster55 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:45 pm

i'm a RNT guy.. i'd suggest goin ahead and getting the quality call.. i'd say a short barrel or original. those are good for starters and veterans.. i blow the shortbarrel and the old style.. also the quackhead line of calls is great for beginners too.. the j-frame or the double j should do.... just try around and see what u like..
1648 Wareagle w/ 40 kohler hd sport.. BAMF!!!!
swampmaster55
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:28 pm

swampmaster55 wrote:i'm a RNT guy.. i'd suggest goin ahead and getting the quality call.. i'd say a short barrel or original. those are good for starters and veterans.. i blow the shortbarrel and the old style.. also the quackhead line of calls is great for beginners too.. the j-frame or the double j should do.... just try around and see what u like..

Totally agree with u like I stated before. To me with a cheaper call u limit yourself. You need a call that you can get the right sound of it that you need. There r cheaper calls that r ok but if your eventually wantin to become a good caller oneday your gonna need a good acrylic call.
Rodney Hill
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby AlpharettaDucks » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:15 am

Any suggestions on where to get the CD? I see on Cabela's site that some manufacturers provide a CD. The Zink Polycarbonate Power Hen 2™ PH-2 DVD Combo seems (on paper) to be a good option, but it has at least one poor review on Cabela's. Anyone tried it?
AlpharettaDucks
Newb

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting