Altamaha WMA and river?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Altamaha WMA and river?

Postby Skiebusta » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:30 am

How ya'll doing, I've been living in GA for a couple years now in Walton Co. and did a little duck hunting last year, mostly around the oconee and lanier areas. This year I'm looking at heading out to Altamaha for a couple weekends during the season and was wondering about wma/river access. I have a lightweight 12ft flatbottom with a 5 horse and was interested if I could navigate the river and WMA with that. I've never been to that area and I'm not sure about the river current, depth etc. Any info or help you could give me would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
Skiebusta
hunter

Re: Altamaha WMA and river?

Postby SkyPeeler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:55 pm

There is a public boat ramp in Darien, get a bigger boat! you wouldn't catch me in that
River with that set up. Get a tide chart and hunt the high tides unless you like
"pudding". Other than that.. Get out there and scout it before you hunt it..
Good luck and be safe.
(( SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS ))
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby The BB » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:21 am

Please get yourself a bigger boat. Your boat will be a death trap in the rivers down there.
The BB
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:33 am

Some good advice there.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Skiebusta » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:23 am

Thats good to know, mabye I'll just avoid the area altogether and head back home to TN or MS for a weekend. And dont talk bad about my boat! :lol3: j/k. It works great to get me around the MS/TN oxbows and small rivers where I'm from. I dont need a ramp or a trailer, it fits on my roof rack like a canoe, and only weighs 40 lbs. Its for my lazy days when I dont feel like paddling my hunting kayak! With 2 people, a few dozen decoys, guns and blind rig on it I only draft about 6 inches at most, And if i have a mud flat I just pull the motor off set it inside the boat and drag it. Speaking of Kayak hunting. How would that be down in that area. thinking of some morning duck hunts with an afternoon of salt marsh fishing.
Skiebusta
hunter

Postby Remman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:40 am

there are some guys who hunt up river with that same set up.. I have done it before, but will never again... that river can get terrible in just a few min because of the strong tide... good luck! :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting